Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What would have to be true for this to be correct?

1) the vaccine would have to be completely effective, with no breakthrough infections, instead of perhaps 85% effective against Delta variant

2) all at risk people would have to be able to be vaccinated - some can not, for health reasons

3) the vaccine would have to "take" and be effective in all at risk people

4) even when players are not at risk and will eventually recover, they will not be available if they contract covid or (if unvaccinated) if they are a close contact

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the vaccine about 99.9999% effective at preventing death and like 99.999% at preventing hospitalizations? Isn’t that what matters? Why did the narrative shift to stopping any chance at potential spread? 

It’s what got us into this mess to begin with. Went from flattening the curve and protecting the vulnerable to crazy protocols for everyday life that were often totally ineffective. 

I agree with your point about number 2 but people that cannot get the vaccine for medical reasons should be able to determine their own level of comfort for assuming risky activities at this point. Of course like all of this, just my meaningless two cents.

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Perhaps they did and it was God's Will that prevented Cole from comprehending it?

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

A man drowning in the middle of lake is approached by lifeguard with a life preserver. The lifeguard swims up to him and says, "Here take this so you don't down."

The man says, "I don't need it. God will save me."

A rescue boat comes up and throws the man a rope, "Grab the rope and we'll pull you on board"

A helicopter goes out and they lower down a person on a winch, "Grab my hand and we'll save you!"

The man drowns and goes to heaven. He asks God, "Why didn't you save me?"

God responds, "I sent you a life preserver, a boat and damned helicopter, what the hell more do you want?"

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm a little confused by the line "I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living."  Is he saying that if you get the vaccine, you're not actually living?  Like, might it not be easier to get back to normal life with the vaccine?  Seemed like a good enough reason for me...

• Like (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the vaccine about 99.9999% effective at preventing death and like 99.999% at preventing hospitalizations? Isn’t that what matters? Why did the narrative shift to stopping any chance at potential spread? 

It’s what got us into this mess to begin with. Went from flattening the curve and protecting the vulnerable to crazy protocols for everyday life that were often totally ineffective. 

I agree with your point about number 2 but people that cannot get the vaccine for medical reasons should be able to determine their own level of comfort for assuming risky activities at this point. Of course like all of this, just my meaningless two cents.

It's about:

A) Cole potentially contracting the virus and being unavailable for games

B) Him spreading it or being a 'close contact' to someone else on the team and them being unavailable for games

To be clear, Cole is saying that his right to not follow protocols for the unvaccinated is greater than the right of other players on the team to mitigate their own risk of contracting the virus or potentially missing games. 

All he has to say is, "Due to my concerns about the protocol, I've evaluated the choices available to me and have decided I don't want to get the vaccine or follow the protocols required of me. I am announcing my retirement and wish the best of luck to my friends and colleagues."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

1) Yes, the vaccines are highly effective at preventing death or serious disease.  They also significantly reduce the chances of any infection and decrease transmission

2) Players who are not dead and do not have serious disease can still be unavailable for multiple NFL games because they are infected and take a couple weeks to recover, or have their quality of play impacted (Garrett), or be sidelined for the season (Sweeney). 

3) The NFL/clubs don't want players to be unavailable

4) NFLPA has taken the position that they don't want their members to be infected/impacted, therefore they wanted daily testing and protocols last year.

5) Unvaccinated players are basically in the same spot that they were in last year.

Now, if the NFLPA members strongly conveyed to their leadership "we don't GAF if we catch covid, we'll take that risk, throw out the protocols and anyone who cares can get vaxxed", that would be different -

Either that belief is not held by the majority of NFLPA members OR the majority have not properly conveyed it, OR the NFL clubs completely refused to accept it.

"Stopping any chance at potential spread" is not at question.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So I guess his problem stems from all of the requirements for unvaccinated players, like they have to be tested daily and wear masks and everything?

I guess we'll see where this goes...

1 hour ago, vincec said:

You’d think based on some people’s reaction that vaccines had just been invented instead of being around for over 100 years. Most people get dozens of them over the course of their lives. Apparently this one is an outrage however.

Yes. Only one “side” of the debate made vaccines another imaginary wedge issue in their BS culture wars. 

“I’m just asking questions!” = “I get my information from Instagram butt models and Facebook”

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm more concerned by this:

I believe Beane and McDermott officially have a Big-Ass Problem.

and im happy to see him have support from his team

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I follow the Jets, Dolphins and Pats. This has not been a subject for any of them. There are players on this team that are making this the subject for the Bills. 

I've felt for awhile that the Bills don't seem as focused as last season and I really hope I'm wrong, but this certainly leads into my paranoia. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

An unhappy, unvaccinated WR room. Receivers are usually the divas.

I'm all for vaccination being a choice, but you have to keep following the rules regardless. If you don't want to wear a mask or get tested anymore, probably go get vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I'm a little confused by the line "I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living."  Is he saying that if you get the vaccine, you're not actually living?  Like, might it not be easier to get back to normal life with the vaccine?  Seemed like a good enough reason for me...

It’s the same twisted logic as “don’t live your life in fear.”

So should we also do away with stop signs? Look straight ahead and stomp that gas pedal, for freedom! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2