Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Vaccines aren't mandatory. Follow me here, so if Bease isn't vaccinated, then other players may not be vaccinated...

The vaccine is also not full proof. Kind of like condoms... Don't want to use a condom, cool. There are potential consequences... Also try not to ***** over your teammates. 

If vaccinated players are allowed to travel and go mask free around all of us common folk, why the concern about them being around unvaccinated teammates?

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude, are you not reading/understanding the issue here?

No one cares that he isnt vaccinated. But if you CHOOSE to not get vaccinated then you have to follow the protocols as agreed upon by the NFLPA. And he is saying he WILL NOT follow those protocols either. You dont get to have everything your way with no consequences. THAT is being a baby.

Yea.  And?  The protocols are trash.

De facto forced vaccination.  

None of my questions remain answered regarding justifying the protocols other then "we got it and so should you!!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Endanger the team? 

If McD and co have as much buy in and such a strong culture as they lead on,

then one guys difference of opinion shouldn’t endanger the team. 

You miss the very obvious point, but that’s okay, I’m bowing out of this thread before it fully goes down the road it’s traveling, later. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

How do you spread it to teammates that have been vaccinated?

There is plenty of information out there about vaccination effectiveness.  None of the current vaccines are 100% effective against the original Covid strain and less against the variants.  Here is a well-referenced a link for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/15/the-covid-delta-variant-how-effective-are-the-vaccines

Further discussion of vaccine effectiveness will be zapped.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Why doesn’t Cole just sit and talk to (read: listen to) Tommy Sweeney for two hours instead of being on Twitter. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He has a teammate who's season was ended by COVID.

• Like (+1) 2

He has a right to speak his opinion. I'm not one of those "shut up and play sports" people (those people are conspicuously absent from this discussion). But if he's going to actively break NFL rules then he's too selfish to remain on the team. McDermott must be furious right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe but they could just fine him 

Yes. 

Then fine everyone that doesn't have the Flu shot.

And whatever else government and big-business says.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Endanger the team? 

If McD and co have as much buy in and such a strong culture as they lead on,

then one guys difference of opinion shouldn’t endanger the team. If he retires, he retires, but release him? Nah. Force his hand. 

You are completely missing the point.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if there was any evidence getting the vaccine was the least bit harmful, or if he wasn't spouting nonsense about COVID, but screw him. He's just another ignorant anti-vaxxer who apparently doesn't realize there are lots of requirements concerning a multitude of vaccines in this country that have been around for a long time and for which he didn't have any input either. As was mentioned above, either get vaccinated, live with the protocols if you choose not to, or retire. This kind of crap is going to ruin what was shaping up to be an exciting NFL season.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Beast said:

Yes. 

Then fine everyone that doesn't have the Flu shot.

And whatever government and big-business says.

Not fine him for not getting the vaccine. Fine him for refusing to follow the protocols for unvaccinated people.

How are so many of you missing this point? It isnt about forcing a vaccination. He can be unvaccinated. But he has to follow the unvaccinated protocols then.

Simple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

He has a right to speak his opinion. I'm not one of those "shut up and play sports" people (those people are conspicuously absent from this discussion). But if he's going to actively break NFL rules then he's too selfish to remain on the team. McDermott must be furious right now.

So, he should just take a vaccine he does not want to take just so he can play football when money is not an issue with him?

Yeah, OK.

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

If vaccinated players are allowed to travel and go mask free around all of us common folk, why the concern about them being around unvaccinated teammates?

Cause when unvaccinated teammates get infected by unvaccinated teams who refused to follow the protocols, then you end up playing on a Tues night with Brandon Powell as your starting QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He is free to retire, sure.

He is free to remain in the NFL, not get the vaccine, and follow the NFL/NFLPA protocols for unvaccinated players.

He is free to challenge those protocols and try to get them modified.

He doesn't have the choice to remain in the NFL, not get the vaccine, and thumb his nose at the protocols the NFL and NFLPA agreed to as part of their CBA.

And his current approach to challenging the protocols leaves a lot to be desired. If he chooses to try a stunt motorcycle jump and gets killed, that probably violates some terms of his contract and/or team rules. His argument would apply equally to that: "I am going to live my life" and "God's will". That is not a focused argument on "I should be allowed to bring my family with me because that restriction is unreasonable compared to the relative risk it introduces".

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't read the entire, so apologies in advance.

Curious to see if NFL will allow teams to place a player who is unvaccinated and unwilling to follow league Covid protocols on an exemption list or if team has to carry player on their 53 man roster.