EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

4 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Unsure as to why you think like that.  Basically the Pegs are looking at the leading firm in the industry to assist them in making VERY important decisions.  AND he is having Steinbrenner assist.  In my book thats a win win.....sure beats trying to do it yourself.  Anyone is business will tell you bring in the experts to assist with the decision making process.

Plus Jerry and the Cowboys have the highest vested interest in seeing the NFL as a whole do well of any team really.  Its not like were handing him our war room lol im all for it, that stadiums awesome, and doesnt at all mean our stadium willk be anything like that.  Hopefully it will be the premier open air stadium in the league

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There have been many studies done that show new stadiums unfortunately do nothing for a cities economy 

It's just a talking point to get taxpayers on board

Not necessarily true. Petco Park in SD helped the surrounding area tremendously. They had a great plan for integrating the stadium with the community. I recommend for anyone to read that plan who has an interest in sports business or development 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Not necessarily true. Petco Park in SD helped the surrounding area tremendously. They had a great plan for integrating the stadium with the community. I recommend for anyone to read that plan who has an interest in sports business or development 

Petco Park pretty much revitalized Downtown San Diego. I don't think the Convention Center gets built without it.

• Like (+1) 1

Can't believe the amount of bellyaching in this thread - as of a few years ago, We're not even supposed to be here today!  My goodness.

Just because they hired Legends doesn't mean they're building a billion dollar stadium that will price out Bills fans.  Pretty sure that the Pegulas know what makes the Buffalo Bills experience special and that will be baked into the plan.

I for one am stoked - it'll be in OP (our stomping grounds since the early 70's), open air (it's Buffalo, we're love our crappy weather and not like we have tons of massive events coming in that need an expensive retractable roof stadium) and it'll be NEW (like, has anyone replaced anything from 1973 in 2021?  Stuff got MUCH nicer).  Plus, we can keep the TBDAHOT at Hammer's Lot (until Hammer sells it for $10B).

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

The problem with that is the Buffalo Bills are only building a football stadium

They aren't doing a community redevelopment, with hotels retail apartments and such

A stadium is hardly in the budget .. all that will never happen unfortunately

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Can't believe the amount of bellyaching in this thread - as of a few years ago, We're not even supposed to be here today!  My goodness.

Just because they hired Legends doesn't mean they're building a billion dollar stadium that will price out Bills fans.  Pretty sure that the Pegulas know what makes the Buffalo Bills experience special and that will be baked into the plan.

I for one am stoked - it'll be in OP (our stomping grounds since the early 70's), open air (it's Buffalo, we're love our crappy weather and not like we have tons of massive events coming in that need an expensive retractable roof stadium) and it'll be NEW (like, has anyone replaced anything from 1973 in 2021?  Stuff got MUCH nicer).  Plus, we can keep the TBDAHOT at Hammer's Lot (until Hammer sells it for $10B).

geez… only $10 billion?  That sorta reeks of desperation.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

Yes like raised ticket prices and PSL fees.  I went thru this going from Giants Stadium to MetLife. At Giants Stadium everything cost me $1700. At MetLife its $3700. Nice things indeed. Enjoy the current stadium for as long as you can. New stadiums aren't worth the cost IMHO.

I am out of NY next year, so my seasons will be no more! No effect on me but sucks for others!

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

why open air?  Hopefully it has a retractable roof

Because the cost of a retractable roof stadium able to handle snow in snowbelt of WNY is very expensive and not cost effective.  Minnesota's collapsed from 17 inches of snow the Orchard Park has gotten more WET snow than that.  

If you are saying keep in open in cold weather when chance of snow you are eliminating advantage.

Minnesota's replacement stadium is a possibility but that roof is not retractable.

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

The Bills fan in me is thrilled but it doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense financially for tons of reasons. A multi-use retractable roof stadium would be best for year-long events (as long as the Bills are never allowed to close the roof - best of both worlds IMO).

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This is bizarre. Why on Earth would they build a new stadium in Orchard Park, and why would it not have a retractable roof? How do you not go with a roof if you're building a new stadium? This is very strange. I think most people see a roof as a big part of the point of building a new stadium.

What people are those?  It was always, most likely, going to be an outdoor venue with 65-67 thousand seats.  A roof adds a great deal to the cost of a new building.  People in this thread are already upset about potential PSL’s and higher ticket prices.   Those would be higher with a roof.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The thing that will be painful is the displacement for home games in Toronto or Penn State.  That sucks

Who said that was definitely happening?  Think positively.

The only way they go elsewhere is if the new design requires an incorporation of the space the current stadium sits on.  If the new design is built across the parking lot, they could stay where they are if a temporary lease can be negotiated.  I’d imagine that would happen.  No politico wants the venom they’d get from letting the Bills play elsewhere during construction.

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

The only way they go elsewhere is if the new design requires an incorporation of the space the current stadium sits on.  If the new design is built across the parking lot, they could stay where they are if a temporary lease can be negotiated.  I’d imagine that would happen.  No politico wants the venom they’d get from letting the Bills play elsewhere during construction.

Right. I’m pretty sure it would be easier to just extend the lease on the current stadium until the new one is completed. 

6 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I heard it on the radio today that's it most likely leading the the displacement 

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I feel like by the time it opens, Josh will already be in his 9th or 10th year in the league.

I believe the 2025 season would be his 8th year. With 2 Super Bowl rings already.

• Awesome! (+1) 1