EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

1 hour ago, nucci said:

not yet

when would people go to these shops and restaurants?

When events are going in at the downtown stadium, then as it becomes the norm, folk would likely go there as a matter of course, that’s how it works in cities, areas/neighborhoods become hip places to go and see, and be seen, this sort of thing happens at populated places all over the planet earth..,,👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Those stadiums are amazing.  However, I worry about losing the personality of the Bills fans 

KeyBank Center is a perfect examples of stadiums that I could nap in during overtime 

I fixed this for you.......

I agree, they should never leave Rich Stadium. 

Yes I'm old. Yes I like bad weather games. Fight me.

18 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

PSL Stadium had the Jets go from having a waiting list for season tickets to advertising that tickets are for sale

Yep, for sure.

The Houston Texans have ALWAYS sold out very home game and easily sod their PSLs.

Now that the team is a disaster, fans detest management/ownership and they were have a very tough time selling out games this year.  And the mighty PSLs which had real value are mow at risk "forcing" PSL holders to buy season tickets.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That would be ideal.  The wind was definitely an issue for the Ravens game and I just hate that.

The Bills do use the wind to their advantage. In a weird way I would like to keep that, but I do prefer a retractable roof stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The Bills do use the wind to their advantage. In a weird way I would like to keep that, but I do prefer a retractable roof stadium. 

Isn't that why we drafted Allen because of the brutal wind and weather of WNY just like Wyoming he could cut through it with his strong arm?  (Sarcasm)

How many times a year does weather really impact games with the Bills, maybe 2 a year?

Things are different post-covid regardless.  Going to be hard to justify expensive stadiums that are used 10-12 times a year especially  now that people have gone an entire year not in the stands.  And technology will only make it easier and easier to watch remotely, from a convenient place.

Stadiums are going to be like Malls in 20 years, nice antiquated monsters from a bygone era.

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe the land has already been purchased over the past few years? The time to buy is BEFORE You start talking about building a stadium.

Don't know if that really matters when teams can seize properties via eminent domain for stadiums. They'd still need to pay "fair value" for the property, but it's safe to say it would be significantly cheaper than negotiating a private sale. 

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Isn't that why we drafted Allen because of the brutal wind and weather of WNY just like Wyoming he could cut through it with his strong arm?  (Sarcasm)

How many times a year does weather really impact games with the Bills, maybe 2 a year?

Things are different post-covid regardless.  Going to be hard to justify expensive stadiums that are used 10-12 times a year especially  now that people have gone an entire year not in the stands.  And technology will only make it easier and easier to watch remotely, from a convenient place.

Stadiums are going to be like Malls in 20 years, nice antiquated monsters from a bygone era.

wait what are you getting at?  Them doing away with the live experience?

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wonder what the psl market in buffalo would look like? 

$1000? I might pony to own the seat... 5k? I don't think so

My guess is to look at the club seats.  Buffalo already has PSLs on club seats - rolled right into the price.

The team has been studying this and moving this way for years because the PSL money goes right to the team versus the ticket that is split revenue.

I would imagine that even if they decide to stick with Highmark Stadium - if they upgrade things again and go that route - PSLs will be expanded there anyway.  It is another untapped revenue stream that Buffalo will be tapping into as soon as they can.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ehh, if anything, I feel last year showed us how necessary having fans in the stands really is. Changes the whole game, even when watching on TV. NFL maybe less so than other sports, but folks still want to get back to the stadiums ASAP. Watch this coming season, the secondary market will be at an all-time high.

Additionally, stadiums cant go the way of malls. The players still need a place to play, and the league still makes a ton more money by having fans there than not.

19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I don’t really agree with this. Everything in a mall can be found online. NFL football is a completely different experience in person. Just my opinion. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You're used to 10 to 13 football games, the odd concert, and maybe a event that would bring in about 2000 to 3000 in attendance. (Marching Band Championships as an example). 

A new stadium with a retractable roof would open up so many more possibilities. Imagine the Frozen Four in front of 70,000 fans. You don't think fans from colleges in Michigan and the New England States wouldn't travel to see their alma mater play for a National Championship? Instead of Rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA Basketball playoff, the East Regional Finals could be held in a new stadium. More big ticket and big name concerts would come through Buffalo and would have a 12 month option to do so.

The possibilities are endless. Granted, they're possibilities, but the option to have those things happen in Buffalo would be a real thing.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

wait what are you getting at?  Them doing away with the live experience?

No not get rid of it but try and Justify a $ billion stadium used 10 times a year with overpriced food, drink,  parking and hassle when many will be watching games live on  cellphone anywhere you want to  with no fear of contracting the black plague.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

oh dear sweet baby Jesus, yes

4 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I don’t really agree with this. Everything in a mall can be found online. NFL football is a completely different experience in person. Just my opinion. 

what about a freshly-made Auntie Anne’s pretzel?  Yeah, you can buy the frozen ones and make them in your oven, but it just isn’t the same

• Haha (+1) 1

With the tweet that the Bills are focusing on Orchard Park, tells me that they want to keep their facilities at the current location, and somehow incorporate said facilities into a new stadium. Not a fan of the open air with an overhang. Would prefer Downtown as well. But they have sunk a ton of money (Ralph and the Pegulas) into the facilities in OP, so in that regard, makes sense they would want to keep those there.  Sort of like the 49ers who built their new stadium in Santa Clara, at their team facilities. (They used to take buses from the facilities to Candlestick for games). 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Don't know if that really matters when teams can seize properties via eminent domain for stadiums. They'd still need to pay "fair value" for the property, but it's safe to say it would be significantly cheaper than negotiating a private sale. 

I don't think that will need to happen. There have been rumors of property sales near the Key Bank Center the past few years. Not to mention the Perry Projects sitting there mostly empty.