EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

27 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Which is still in the same state.

They are saying College Station PA or Toronto(which would really go over well)

Toronto doesn't even have a football stadium...Rogers Center was modified for baseball only giving the Argos the boot to the MLS soccer field(BMO Field) that seats about 30,000

Hamilton's Tim Hortons field would make more sense if they couldn't play in Buffalo.  I believe it can be easily expanded to 33K, it's lot closer to Buffalo than Toronto, and there are a lot of Bills season ticket holders in the area.

Edited by driddles

39 minutes ago, driddles said:

Hamilton's Tim Hortons field would make more sense if they couldn't play in Buffalo.  I believe it can be easily expanded to 33K, it's lot closer to Buffalo than Toronto, and there are a lot of Bills season ticket holders in the area.

border likely still won’t be open by then, so it’s a moot point.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rando on Twitter says he knows of land the Bills have checked into and it is very close to the  current stadium and would not involve the team needing to play elsewhere while it’s built 

I seem to recall in recent years that the Pegs had bought up land surrounding the stadium. I don’t think it was all used for practice fields. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry. Just in my mind it's "why wouldn't you work with the Bills?"  You give them a bridge lease until the new stadium is done, hopefully built next door while you keep playing in the old one. Is that not obvious? Am I missing something?

Maybe it’s just me, but it would’ve been nice if the part about possibly playing elsewhere during construction was broached down the line.

They really couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get in an un-veiled threat to the pols during what should just be celebratory news? Couldn’t just let us bask in a totally positive direction of the franchise for a hot minute?

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:
Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, Woodman19 said:

Excellent, a state of the art facility ensures the long term stability of the franchise. 

This is what I was thinking. Took the words out of my mouth.

If it happens I’ll miss the old stadium, but if it ensures long term stability, I’m all for it.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Seattle always seems overcast so the sun isnt as much of an issue 

The overhang is likely about rain, snow, hail and wind as opposed to  the sun.  Why is everyone’s focus on sunshine?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wonder if the weight of the big SouthTowns snows are a problem with a Buffalo retractable roof stadium?  99" is yearly average for the Airport in Cheektowaga... I suspect OP is much more. Ski Country is 150-200".  

??

OP is about 115 inches yearly

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

I really hope that they don't build a cookie cutter design like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. 

Heinz field is unique.  Cleveland and Cincinnati seem very similar.

If I had to bet I would put money on a structure that resembles one of the newer European soccer stadiums.  Ultra-modern, but intimate,  right on top of the action like we have now.

22 minutes ago, purple haze said:

The overhang is likely about rain, snow, hail and wind as opposed to  the sun.  Why is everyone’s focus on sunshine?

I can't speak for any particular individual, but you understand some here will find any sliver of negativity to complain about, right?  There aren't any diagrams, plans, rough designs, etc, but the complaints on how it sucks have already begun. Get used to it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wonder if the weight of the big SouthTowns snows are a problem with a Buffalo retractable roof stadium?  99" is yearly average for the Airport in Cheektowaga... I suspect OP is much more. Ski Country is 150-200".  

??

Syracuse gets crushed with snow. They have a dome. Maintenance would obviously cost more than an open air stadium. It's likely all about money. That's understandable. We just have to remember this is going to be a 40-50 year stadium. So let's do it right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Because it makes the game unwatchable on tv. I mean it's been discussed a bunch in this thread...

6 hours ago, uticaclub said:

And the sun is always shining in Buffalo

On average three more sunny days than Seattle. But Seattle averages 20 more heavy cloud days. Not a huge difference.  

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Syracuse gets crushed with snow. They have a dome. Maintenance would obviously cost more than an open air stadium. It's likely all about money. That's understandable. We just have to remember this is going to be a 40-50 year stadium. So let's do it right. 

BUT Retractable. It gets a foot of snow on top, will it move?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

OP is about 115 inches yearly

Still 35 more than Chicago's all-time record (1978) and a whopping 70-80 than another NFL stadium on average.  ON AVERAGE. Minnesota went open air, right, same with all the others in snow areas.  Detroit simply doesn't get the snow, it's protected in the winter...

ON AVERAGE The OP gets pounded, even more so than Downtown....

I don't dare touch my convertible below 40 degrees, let alone with tons of snow on top.  I suppose they could heat it, to melt... IMO just not worth the hassle.