EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why does building it closer to southern Ontario make the franchise more viable long term? Fans from that area need to cross the border either way, it’s not much further to get to OP than downtown 

The nfl told them it is necessary. They’ve been telling them that for years, I think since they bought the team. 

It’s not about the fans - it’s about the enormous corporate base who can buy sponsorships - suites - etc.

Those advocating OP for tailgating are simply seeking the same mediocrity of the past 50 years.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It’s not about the fans - it’s about the enormous corporate base who can buy sponsorships - suites - etc.

Those advocating OP for tailgating are simply seeking the same mediocrity of the past 50 years.

I realize the corporate suites are part of it but why does it matter how close it is to the border as to why they would or wouldn’t buy in. 

3 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I know, that's why this feels like throwing the NFL a bone and nothing more.

Not sure what kind of pressure they are getting behind the scenes from the other owners but I think it has always been their plan to build a new stadium with the amenities in line with the modern standard 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

They did, but how many season ticket holder would make the drive from Buffalo to Syracuse on game day?  As it is, people here think I'm crazy for having season tickets and making the drive from Syr to Buf. 

Probably most since it would only be short term.

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m not any sort of structural expert….

If the stadium is built in a slightly higher elevation and more “bowl” like….will it reduce the wind effects?

I think it depends on how much ranch they may serve there, honestly. Ranch is a soft side, which in turn makes the user more soft; which in turn means the user wants less wind. Less ranch, more wind. 

Follow?

36 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yeah, because the enormous corporate base won't want to invest in something like NFL football that is 15 more miles away than where you want it.

They either will or won't. Buffalo vs. Orchard Park will have nothing to do with their decisions.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Heitz said:

Can't believe the amount of bellyaching in this thread - as of a few years ago, We're not even supposed to be here today!  My goodness.

Just because they hired Legends doesn't mean they're building a billion dollar stadium that will price out Bills fans.  Pretty sure that the Pegulas know what makes the Buffalo Bills experience special and that will be baked into the plan.

I for one am stoked - it'll be in OP (our stomping grounds since the early 70's), open air (it's Buffalo, we're love our crappy weather and not like we have tons of massive events coming in that need an expensive retractable roof stadium) and it'll be NEW (like, has anyone replaced anything from 1973 in 2021?  Stuff got MUCH nicer).  Plus, we can keep the TBDAHOT at Hammer's Lot (until Hammer sells it for $10B).

Because they waited so long, even a mid-tier stadium is likely to cost close to a billion dollars, if not more (especially in NY). 

But the longer we wait, the more expensive it gets. Hopefully they pull the trigger sooner rather than later and just bite the bullet.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I may be adding a duplicate opinion, but the tweet that says the Bills might need to look elsewhere to play while the new stadium is being built is ridiculous.  They just need to do what's been done in NYC & NJ.  Met Life Stadium was built on another part of the property while the 2 NJ teams still played in Giants Stadium.  City Field was built on another part of the Shea Stadium land and the new Yankee Stadium was built a block or 2 away from the old one & the baseball continued in the old stadiums during construction.  

Losing some parking is better than finding a stadium away from Orchard Park to play in for a season or 2.  After the new stadium is built, the old one is demolished & full parking is returned.  I don't remember any problem with parking at Giants Stadium when Met-Life was being built, just add more available buses to the game or some kind of shuttle from an auxiliary area down the road from Highmark.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Which obviously don't apply to other teams which have outdoor stadiums,, right? 

I'm not concerned with what other teams are doing.  And most don't have the issues the Bills have WRT location/weather and market size/economy.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure what kind of pressure they are getting behind the scenes from the other owners but I think it has always been their plan to build a new stadium with the amenities in line with the modern standard 

We all knew it was going to have to happen, but this feels like just checking off the boxes of whats needed and stopping there. And that looks to get you a new version of what's there.

I'm just not sure this will seem like the right choice in 2030 or 2035, it may already seem to be outdated and poorly located. Lucas Oil Stadium is 13 and still seems new, I can't see an outdoor stadium seeming new after 13 years.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Justin C said:

I know this is the stadium thread but what route are you taking that you are stuck in gridlock for multiple hours after a Sabres game? Even during peak years I would say I was never stuck in traffic for more than half an hour.

I’m not sure why people think OP has some stellar infrastructure. It’s a bunch of two lane roads that lead to expressways. Most NFL stadiums are located next to multiple expressway paths. I’ve never had as much of an issue leaving a Sabres game, as I do Bills games or Darien Lake concerts out in the cow pasture. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

They did, but how many season ticket holder would make the drive from Buffalo to Syracuse on game day?  As it is, people here think I'm crazy for having season tickets and making the drive from Syr to Buf. 

I’ve always found it comical how many WNY people think anything beyond a 10 minute drive is insane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1