EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Another hit piece propaganda from a divisive far left website. Absolute BS. 

Anti American.

Definitely bad journalism.  And as is you note, it hits at the very heart of what it means to be American. 

I believe it was George Washington who said:  "Question not the lobbyists, nor those who do PR.  And if ever football shall become a thing, let each man pay his share.  Never shall the rich be made to compensate for that from which they profit."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I currently have decent club seats.  Seeing as I normally only make one or two games a year (the others I sell to family/friends, some on ticket exchange), depending on the new stadium pricing and location of seats I feel are affordable, I may just drop my seasons when it opens.  I'm right at that break point where I can afford them, but I should really use the money somewhere else.  

I can dig it.  A lot of people singing that same song.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve entered bizzaro world! I cannot believe that on a Bills Message Board I’d find people who oppose any public financing of a new stadium. Those comments should come from the general public who will NOT be attending games. How can this be so confusing to so many of you? There’re no free lunches in life. People who plan on attending games should  want the cost spread over as many people as humanly possible! It’s not complicated.

Its honestly obnoxious to read.  

Maybe they should root for a minor league squad if they can’t handle the politics of an NFL team. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

In what way?

Basically - we don’t know what new advancements are coming - so can they build the field with the ability to handle future technology as things change.  The current stadium has been known to lack the ability to handle the full crew associated with prime time games because many of the cable pathways built into the cement could not be increased to handle more camera locations around the stadium.

We also saw huge leaps in lighting and scoreboard technology, but they have struggled to upgrade the facilities to handle the new upgraded technology.  They also struggle to get powerful wifi around the stadium due to the sheer amount of concrete and metal and those are just in recent years.  

we don’t know what tech is coming, but building a stadium with some built-in flexibility will help.  The old stadium was great for about 30+ years and the last 10-15 the lack of ability to upgrade even the showers and locker rooms in the opposing teams areas and the concourses to fit more choices have really hampered the overall experience.

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Basically - we don’t know what new advancements are coming - so can they build the field with the ability to handle future technology as things change.  The current stadium has been known to lack the ability to handle the full crew associated with prime time games because many of the cable pathways built into the cement could not be increased to handle more camera locations around the stadium.

We also saw huge leaps in lighting and scoreboard technology, but they have struggled to upgrade the facilities to handle the new upgraded technology.  They also struggle to get powerful wifi around the stadium due to the sheer amount of concrete and metal and those are just in recent years.  

we don’t know what tech is coming, but building a stadium with some built-in flexibility will help.  The old stadium was great for about 30+ years and the last 10-15 the lack of ability to upgrade even the showers and locker rooms in the opposing teams areas and the concourses to fit more choices have really hampered the overall experience.

Fair enough.  But this will be the latest stadium built so it should have more future-forward tech than any other.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Fair enough.  But this will be the latest stadium built so it should have more future-forward tech than any other.

It might - or it might be fairly bare bones to save money.  It is going to depend upon where these negotiations go.  I would not expect it to be packed with tech and features that we see in many other newer stadiums like LV or LA or even Minnesota from a few years ago.

The choice of open air and OP both were made with cost in mind - so what other choices will be made with the bottom line driving the decision.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It might - or it might be fairly bare bones to save money.  It is going to depend upon where these negotiations go.  I would not expect it to be packed with tech and features that we see in many other newer stadiums like LV or LA or even Minnesota from a few years ago.

The choice of open air and OP both were made with cost in mind - so what other choices will be made with the bottom line driving the decision.

Such as? 

BTW, I toured Allegiant stadium about a month ago and their production room was a lot smaller and lower tech than I thought it would be.

31 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hello, ETFE... https://www.archdaily.com/784723/etfe-the-rise-of-architectures-favorite-polymer

This thing is gonna look nice

7 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Or having a building that is usable year round for other events may be an easier sell to the non football tax paying public

Of course convincing the non football tax paying public to pay MORE for "year round building" is even more difficult.

Some want platinum plated fixtures in bathrooms.

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Such as? 

BTW, I toured Allegiant stadium about a month ago and their production room was a lot smaller and lower tech than I thought it would be.

The gigantic screens all over the place for replays and HD and 4K capabilities.  Enhanced top end WiFi to be able to watch and stream things all over the stadium.

Advanced capabilities to order food and beverages to be delivered to seats based upon your mobile device and the enhanced number of vendors that they can pack into open areas because they are not open air.  

Huge advancements in cellular coverage and cellular capabilities to again help fans in-game experience as you watch or listen to your game or a myriad of other games.

The amount of tech crammed into these new stadiums is unbelievable and it is developed with an eye toward the future.  That is what I want to see out of the Bills designs.  

How are they going to handle the need for multiple levels of wide band tech to allow the newest wifi and cellular data to get everywhere and what kind of advances are they going to make for all types of in stadium experiences?

Then you have things like ingress and egress points and tickets and funneling fans around the stadium from all points to speed up entrance and exiting, getting to restrooms and vendors, and getting around the stadium to party with friends.

We will see how much they put into the initial bid and how much goes in by the end.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The gigantic screens all over the place for replays and HD and 4K capabilities.  Enhanced top end WiFi to be able to watch and stream things all over the stadium.

Advanced capabilities to order food and beverages to be delivered to seats based upon your mobile device and the enhanced number of vendors that they can pack into open areas because they are not open air.  

Huge advancements in cellular coverage and cellular capabilities to again help fans in-game experience as you watch or listen to your game or a myriad of other games.

The amount of tech crammed into these new stadiums is unbelievable and it is developed with an eye toward the future.  That is what I want to see out of the Bills designs.  

How are they going to handle the need for multiple levels of wide band tech to allow the newest wifi and cellular data to get everywhere and what kind of advances are they going to make for all types of in stadium experiences?

Then you have things like ingress and egress points and tickets and funneling fans around the stadium from all points to speed up entrance and exiting, getting to restrooms and vendors, and getting around the stadium to party with friends.

We will see how much they put into the initial bid and how much goes in by the end.

I have no doubt they'll do it right.  But time will tell.

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have no doubt they'll do it right.  But time will tell.

We will see 7 of the last 10 stadiums built have been covered stadiums with tons of amenities.  The last 2 open air stadiums built - MetLife and Levi stadium both already have had complaints of being outdated feeling.

I think the Bills will struggle to create an updated and viable stadium that will be a lasting site because of cost.  I think it will be an upgrade over what we have, but I don’t anticipate cutting edge and much like the Sabres arena that was built new, but on a budget - it will not age as well as fans will like.

We already know that with sight lines at a premium and no roof - they are going to be limited in replay screens similar to now where to provide good screens - end zone seats will have to be removed.  They can’t hang them over the field with no support above.

It will all come down to design and I give them credit that they will do a good job, but my gut tells me it will feel more the the new Cleveland stadium than a new updated plan.

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

1.4 billion is plenty of coin.  A cheaper option doesn’t mean devoid of bells and whistles.  I would bet the new joint will have many modern features inside and outside the place.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Man did that make me feel old.  I know I'm not in the majority but I really couldn't care less about any of that...I just want to eat/drink in the lot before the game and then not be miserably cold/wet when I get in 😆

Ultimately I will be happy to get a new stadium no matter what it is but REALLY hope that it has a roof, mostly for the quality of the product on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

The best solution is to have 50% of the stadium paid for by a bond that will get repaid by revenue sources from the stadium over a period of time. That will long term not cost the city anything as their amount will be repaid to them with interest within 10-15 years of the stadium being built. 

Economically stadiums are bad “investments” for cities. Fronting the money and getting it on the back end is the best for all parties involved.

• Like (+1) 2