EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

Well at least a new report says the stadium will be built across the street from the old one in one of the parking lots, allowing the Bills to continuing playing here while it's under construction.

Never understood why they would force the team to play home games somewhere else for two years when there was such an easy solution to avoid it.

2 hours ago, BTB said:

If the stadium price is really 1.4B, and it is not a dome/fixed roof,  somebody is getting ripped off...and that would be the taxpayers.  

Chances are the majority is getting poured into suites and club seating, that the majority of us will never utilize.   They are getting sold a bill of goods by Jerry’s company, and wait until they find out that those suites/seats will be very difficult to sell. 

Maybe,maybe not. Inflation has skyrocketed since COVID and so have material and supply costs I am sure.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Doc said:

A downtown stadium is estimated to cost $900M more.  They're not spending that.

And I wonder how much the overhang will cost versus just putting a roof on it?  I can't imagine it would be that much more.

I didn't say anything about downtown. Location really isn't a big deal to me. 

I think they decided to build there a while ago which is why they started building up the practice facilities. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve read many on here refer to Indianapolis as their suggested model for a new Bills stadium. With the team in Detroit this evening has anyone been to Ford Field? It’s another example of a rust belt facility  but this time with a fixed roof.  

Russ Brandon hated it.   Said it was like a warehouse.  I’d be surprised if the Pegulas prefer that model. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

How many blizzards have hit during a game besides the colts game? The wind is pretty much the only thing that causes problems and that's for both teams. 

Tbh I've watched us struggle more in the weather than our opponents. 

It's not the snow. It's all the weather. Cold, wind, snow, and rain. 

It affects the play on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn't say anything about downtown. Location really isn't a big deal to me. 

I think they decided to build there a while ago which is why they started building up the practice facilities. 

Unless it's DT Buffalo, moving it North (unless you meant closer to NF) doesn't make much sense when you have everything you need in OP.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Russ Brandon hated it.   Said it was like a warehouse.  I’d be surprised if the Pegulas prefer that model. 

Maybe because one side of it is an old warehouse. 🤫

A fixed roof stadium does not have to be modeled after any one particular existing stadium. 

2 hours ago, BTB said:

If the stadium price is really 1.4B, and it is not a dome/fixed roof,  somebody is getting ripped off...and that would be the taxpayers.  

Chances are the majority is getting poured into suites and club seating, that the majority of us will never utilize.   They are getting sold a bill of goods by Jerry’s company, and wait until they find out that those suites/seats will be very difficult to sell. 

I guarantee that thing is going to be ridiculous with technology and luxuries we don't need. They put a fireplace in Sabres locker room. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unless it's DT Buffalo, moving it North (unless you meant closer to NF) doesn't make much sense when you have everything you need in OP.

Like I said location isn't a big deal to me. Meaning there's no reason to spend hundreds of millions more just for location. 

4 minutes ago, BTB said:

Maybe because one side of it is an old warehouse. 🤫

A fixed roof stadium does not have to be modeled after any one particular existing stadium. 

I particularly like the Colts stadium, just less brick and more glass. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t understand why everyone wants a roof?? Us getting a roof/domed stadium means it’ll effect our home field advantage. The snow blizzards are a big part of a Buffalo Bills game as opposing teams have a hard time playing in the snow and in some ways that’s when we play our strongest. Keep it an open air stadium no roof or dome. 

Show me some stats to back this up?   Why do you think the Bills have the practice dome?  This is where they go on most days with inclimate weather. 

There is no advantage for the Bills during snow games....none.  

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1.4 billion is completely reasonable, and asking for heavy funding from the state if the Pegula’s are making concessions on the type of stadium they’d like, and the location they’d prefer, also seems reasonable.  

Just get this done.  

Some of y’all are more up in arms over state tax dollars going to a stadium than the fact you’re paying $25 more per tank to fill up at a gas station.  

The government can play us on all kinds of regressive taxes we don’t notice.  Hence the idea to take taxes out of paychecks… so you don’t notice.  

Only difference here is a stadium is a shiny object that seems to stir the emotions of people who unknowingly fund all sorts of nonsense every year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's not the snow. It's all the weather. Cold, wind, snow, and rain. 

It affects the play on the field. 

The person I quoted said blizzards are a big part of games in buffalo. I was saying blizzards aren't. They also said it's a home field advantage to that Im saying it isn't.  I'm not arguing that it doesn't affect the play on the field I'm saying it affects both teams. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Bold for some reason
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1.4 billion is completely reasonable, and asking for heavy funding from the state if the Pegula’s are making concessions on the type of stadium they’d like, and the location they’d prefer, also seems reasonable.  

Just get this done.  

Some of y’all are more up in arms over state tax dollars going to a stadium than the fact you’re paying $25 more per tank to fill up at a gas station.  

The government can play us on all kinds of regressive taxes we don’t notice.  Hence the idea to take taxes out of paychecks… so you don’t notice.  

Only difference here is a stadium is a shiny object that seems to stir the emotions of people who unknowingly fund all sorts of nonsense every year.  

Gas prices are driven by supply and demand. Fuel taxes haven't changed. I'm not sure what your point is. My average tank is up $6 from last year how many gallons are you buying?

Billionaires can pay for their own stadiums unless they plan on sharing the profits 

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, blitzboy54 said:

Gas prices are driven by supply and demand. Fuel taxes haven't changed. I'm not sure what your point is. 

Billionaires can pay for their own stadiums unless they plan on sharing the profits 

Inflation is a regressive tax.  We can squabble on semantics, but if one was truly worried about “taxes”, they’d be far more worried about inflation, and less worried about a fixed cost stadium that has clearly marked numbers.  

I say this, because it would seem that most opposed to public financing are the same ones that support the current govt spending, and probably don’t question what comes out of their paychecks due to the brilliantly manipulative idea to take taxes out of your gross earnings.  

The stadium is just a shiny object and the Pegula’s an easy target because they’re rich.  

Do you want the Bills in Buffalo, or not? 

You unknowingly line the pockets of policy makers and CEO’s every day.  At least this one gives WNY an identity. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I read somewhere that based off the taxes the Bills pay, ticket taxes,  concession taxes, and player taxes (using the NFL average salary)  for both the Bills and their opponents that are paid to NY State, that an estimated $990 million will be collected by the state over 20 years. If the numbers are correct,  i think it softens the blow of the cost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

I'm intrigued as to where the knowledge, information and experience is coming from regarding these types of cynical comments. Sometimes we would do well to look in the mirror and acknowledge where we lack expertise.

Observations, common sense and living in New York State for 80% of my life?

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

I'm intrigued as to where the knowledge, information and experience is coming from regarding these types of cynical comments. Sometimes we would do well to look in the mirror and acknowledge where we lack expertise.

Here is a really great resource for anything Bills stadium related and also anything stadium related - 

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/category/nfl/buffalo-bills/

I was furious when the initial reports of the Pegulas wanting the stadium 100% funded by the public & would be furious if it ends up being anything worse than a 50/50 split.  The community benefit (as described in tremendous detail throughout the above link) is always vastly overstated and the Pegulas would clearly benefit the most.   They own the team so that's not unreasonable but to take advantage of the team's success to bend over the WNY taxpayers is obscene particularly if the price tag is the insanely outrageous $1.5 billion and very particularly if it is an open air stadium, and yes even MORE particularly if it has to include upgrades for anything related to the dumpster fire Sabres.

To the point of open air vs. dome and the whole idea of home field weather advantage...what on earth are you all talking about?  We're good now but where was that advantage for almost 20 years?  Also, do you really even want the chance of weather causing havoc or maybe even being a deciding factor in a home playoff game?  I've seen the Colts game cited as an example but just look at the Ravens game last year.  No blizzard but the wind definitely hamstrung the offense.  I'd rather eliminate that altogether.  Also discounting the Colts game as an aberration is a bit weird because I'm not sure if you've noticed but Buffalo can get some pretty spectacular winter weather.  It could easily happen again.

I don't see the team moving but I also think that its naive to think it is 100% out of the realm of possibilities.  Yeah the Pegulas kept the team in Buffalo but if you think they care or that the NFL cares about anything other than $$$, you're delusional - both have demonstrated that.  Some have said that Austin wouldn't make sense...why not?  It's a much bigger city that's growing exponentially and could easily support an NFL team.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I can see where that would supersede the knowledge of those doing the planning, engineering and budgeting of a stadium build coinciding with a stadium teardown. I mean, it's not much more than putting a new she-shed in your backyard, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I still can't fathom $1.4B for a clone of Highmark stadium, on land you don't have to pay to acquire.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I mean, the "state of the art" training facilities and field house could significantly reduce costs... Not having to rebuild them.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I still can't fathom $1.4B for a clone of Highmark stadium, on land you don't have to pay to acquire.

It clearly wouldn’t be a clone, and I am definitely on the side of having a roof stadium, but if MB Stadium in ATL costs 1.5 billion, that place is now costing 2+ billion in this current economy, and more for us given the need to build a roof designed for potential heavy snow. 

Half this board is freaking out over 1.4 billion… can’t imagine an ask for 2.4 billion. 

44 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I mean, the "state of the art" training facilities and field house could significantly reduce costs... Not having to rebuild them.

Just my 2 cents, but the training and practice facilities were not going anywhere regardless of where a new stadium was built in WNY. 

• Like (+1) 1