EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

11 hours ago, BillStime said:

Works. Just build it downtown. Makes ZERO sense to build in OP.

Normally I agree with you, but in this instance my understanding is that the stadium it has to be in OP bc it’s too expensive to acquire land/build/address infrastructure downtown.  Or at least that’s what little birdies say. 

Just now, BTB said:

Since the new stadium talk started last year or the year before, I have always been for a downtown fixed roof stadium.   I’m okay with losing the downtown location, but building an open air stadium would be a huge mistake. 

Get ready for a huge mistake. 

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Normally I agree with you, but in this instance my understanding is that the stadium it has to be in OP bc it’s too expensive to acquire land/build/address infrastructure downtown.  Or at least that’s what little birdies say. 

We have to leverage and maximize these large transformational opportunities because they don't come often or easy for areas like Buffalo Niagara.

I am not a fan investing in Orchard Park where there is limited opportunity for growth and mass transit. You build the stadium closer to the regions largest and fastest growing market (Southern Ontario) and make downtown Buffalo the HUB from a transportation perspective. 

I am a big fan of tailgating but I am also a bigger fan of maintaining the long term viability of the franchise and maximizing the economic potential for the both the region and the Pegula's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

We have to leverage and maximize these large transformational opportunities because they don't come often or easy for areas like Buffalo Niagara.

I am not a fan investing in Orchard Park where there is limited opportunity for growth and mass transit. You build the stadium closer to the regions largest and fastest growing market (Southern Ontario) and make downtown Buffalo the HUB from a transportation perspective. 

I am a big fan of tailgating but I am also a bigger fan of maintaining the long term viability of the franchise and maximizing the economic potential for the both the region and the Pegula's.

I’m not arguing with you, just telling you what I hear.  It’s not going downtown because it’s too expensive to build there.  Get ready for open air on the ECC South lots.  Probably saves tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in land acquisition and infrastructure costs. 

The big tip to me was the change of position on the Skyway (which sort of feeds into your Ontario point).  Those annoying birds started chirping a little later. 

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m not arguing with you, just telling you what I hear.  It’s not going downtown because it’s too expensive to build there.  Get ready for open air on the ECC South lots.  Probably saves tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in land acquisition and infrastructure costs. 

The big tip to me was the change of position on the Skyway (which sort of feeds into your Ontario point).  Those annoying birds started chirping a little later. 

I hear ya... just shortsighted imo.

36 minutes ago, BTB said:

Since the new stadium talk started last year or the year before, I have always been for a downtown fixed roof stadium.   I’m okay with losing the downtown location, but building an open air stadium would be a huge mistake. 

I don't disagree with this. In an ideal world, the stadium would be downtown. I also prefer fixed roof or retractable roof stadium.

On the other hand, how much more would a downtown fixed roof stadium cost?

For fans that want to play around with where the stadium could fit (especially the downtown option) this tool that was popular a long time

ago on the old BBMB and was fun to play with.

It is a bit "clunky" to get use to using.

1st thing you got to do is click on the "Pick a New Spot" link.

I click the Lucas Oil Stadium.

Once you do that you need to maximize the window and drag it around.

For a downtown spot placing the stadium in the South Park / Louisiana / Ohio St triangle is a pretty cool spot.

The parking lots are placed kitty corner in the old Perry Projects.  Also the Sabres lots are available along with Riverworks (If a pedestrian bridge 

was built).  Also pretty close to having a new train station for mass transit on Michigan and South Park.

Of course the exit and entrance ramps to the thruway would need to be redesigned.

It WAS one of the most popular spots years ago.  Most of the land is public and the few private companies (around Miami St) look like

they could be cheap.

Here is the site if anyone cares.

https://staging.19ideas.com/stadium/list/?page=20

PS EDIT:  The site still works but it seems it is closed to submitting new locations.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

Putting the tailgating aside for a second can Buffalo even handle the traffic of a Bills game. I live in NJ so I am not familiar with the landscape of Buffalo/Orchard Park. OP obviously can handle it but can Buffalo? Losing the tailgating would be terrible as Buffalo is known for having a great tailgating atmosphere.

City is not known to handle heavy congestion the best

I'm sure they could Technically make it work, but there's a massive difference between 19,000 people downtown for Bills game and 80,000.. and that's a lot of congestion

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

I am not a fan investing in Orchard Park where there is limited opportunity for growth and mass transit.

As a fan how much were you planning on investing anyways?

in·vest

/inˈvest/

gerund or present participle: investing

expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial plans, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

^^^^^^

Lots of open land in Batavia…

Lots of room in the woods east of the current stadium. Could keep the parking lots that are currently in use, block off the Ralph, and put two new parking lots in with access via California Rd. 

Of course, that's where the actual native burial ground is. In those woods...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

City is not known for great traffic control 

I'm sure they could Technically make it work, but there's a massive difference between 19,000 people downtown for Bills game and 80,000.. and that's a lot of congestion

City is not known for great traffic control? I have to disagree. any event I attended downtown other then canal side madness.. the traffic has been fine.

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

City is not known for great traffic control? I have to disagree. any event I attended downtown other then canal side madness.. the traffic has been fine.

Most times there's 15 to 30,000 people downtown maximum.. not 80 to 100,000 people

Downtown Buffalo is known for radical Street design.. designed around the Olmsted Park system.. made for walking and riding bikes, not cars... It's full of one way street and not a lot of outlets

It's really not made for heavy congestion 

It was designed around the park system back in the day.. it's more of a European Street grid.. technically designed for bicycles and walking

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Lots of room in the woods east of the current stadium. Could keep the parking lots that are currently in use, block off the Ralph, and put two new parking lots in with access via California Rd. 

Of course, that's where the actual native burial ground is. In those woods...

I think that is a wives tale 

Ancient native burial grounds in Western New York have actually been proven to be around Forest lawn cemetery.. we took ancient native burial grounds around Buffalo Creek reservation and turned it into Forest lawn

Edited by Buffalo716

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most times there's 15 to 30,000 people downtown maximum.. not 80 to 100,000 people

Downtown Buffalo is known for radical Street design.. designed around the Olmsted Park system.. made for walking and riding bikes, not cars... It's full of one way street and not a lot of outlets

It's really not made for heavy congestion 

It was designed around the park system back in the day.. it's more of a European Street grid.. technically designed for bicycles and walking

Information on it:

https://www.wned.org/television/wned-productions/wned-history-productions/frederick-law-olmsted-designing-america/learn-more-olmsted/olmsteds-buffalo-park-system/

It was a system designed to integrate parks into a city.  The parks could become part of the system for people leaving area on foot and bicycle but for evening/night games I do not see it becoming a factor.

Street design is something different.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

As a fan how much were you planning on investing anyways?

in·vest

/inˈvest/

gerund or present participle: investing

expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial plans, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

Investing OUR tax dollars….

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Information on it:

https://www.wned.org/television/wned-productions/wned-history-productions/frederick-law-olmsted-designing-america/learn-more-olmsted/olmsteds-buffalo-park-system/

It was a system designed to integrate parks into a city.  The parks could become part of the system for people leaving area on foot and bicycle but for evening/night games I do not see it becoming a factor.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Information on it:

Downtown Buffalo has more one-way streets than most cities in America because that grid design 

Obviously the streets have been adapted for cars but the layout is the same

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1