EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i suppose that was my question.  is there an amount that the public would be comfortable with?  i understand the idea of not wanting to allow the use of tax money when it comes to an incredibly wealthy owner, but if it's 30-40 bucks a year...meh.

I think we have to look at this like a mortgage and rental situation.

The public can put a 20% down payment down on the stadium. Take out a 30 year mortgage at 2.5% interest. Lock the Bills into a 30 year lease with an annual fee that has a profit margin built in. 

This can be a win win and become a revenue generator for the country and state instead of corporate welfare. 

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Would it necessarily raise taxes if the stadium was publicly owned? Why can't the construction costs incurred by a state / county partnership turn a profit? Not just leasing it the the Bills, but concerts and events?

It would help if it were a dome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How much money could be raised for a GoFundMe page on the new Bills stadium?

Could Bills Mafia raise $500 million?  I'll put in my $10 right now.

Haha. Not even close. The America's Food Fund and Frontline Workers Fund are two of the largest GoFundMe's in history, both created to support families and healthcare workers during the pandemic, combined barely cracked $50M. 

The amount people say we are willing to support the stadium and the amount they are willing to give in reality are way way off. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It would help if it were a dome.

Maybe. It all depends on how much the Bills would be willing to pay per year to lease the stadium and the cost difference between an open air and dome.

PSE might not want to pay twice as much to lease a dome, and the added events probably wouldn't come close to covering the difference. 

• Agree 1

Honestly, the most annoying part about this is having to see news outlets picking up the story.  FoxNews.com has this on their main page right now...smh.   

Same clickbait story where the headline poses us potentially moving, with the body of the story basically informing us it's just a threat to get what they want in Buffalo. 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Haha. Not even close. The America's Food Fund and Frontline Workers Fund are two of the largest GoFundMe's in history, both created to support families and healthcare workers during the pandemic, combined barely cracked $50M. 

The amount people say we are willing to support the stadium and the amount they are willing to give in reality are way way off. 

Do you know who Bills Mafia is?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

it would seem since I read somewhere it would be state wide that it would be what, out of millions of new yorkers, a few bucks a year? 10 bucks? or maybe they can raise the tax rate to 9%. what is it now 8%? I just don't see it being an extravagant amount?

I love the Bills, I will not pay a penny more in sales tax. Nor should anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, blitzboy54 said:

I love the Bills, I will not pay a penny more in sales tax. Nor should anyone. 

I'll venmo you the money every year then.   Ridiculous... you'll pay taxes for all sorts of nonsense, but this... this, is where you draw the line?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There's a lot of wannabe noise out of Austin.  There's a lot of new money there and the want you to see them.    It has zero to do with the Bills specifically.  Just a fever dream for those tech bros down there.  

When the Spurs recently changed minority ownership, the same phenomenon occurred, sudden talk about the Spurs relocating to Austin.  It's a nothing burger.  

I’m not singling anyone out but I find some of the comments on this a little crazy. I left New York roughly 10 years ago, one of the biggest reasons was cost of living and the horrible TAXES. 
I get the proposal seems over the top but is this really what people want to take a stand on when it comes to their taxes? So much of that money literally goes to NYC and in the 700 politicians pockets in Albany. You can almost guarantee already that if the Pegulas are asking 1.5 billion the state is trying to figure out how to tax you for 2 billion. I get the animosity about leveraging and using Austin as a spot to move but it’s just too early to take any of this too serious. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The statement from Pegula S&E in response to all the backlash is such a joke. 

If it weren’t for McD, this team would probably still be mediocre. For all the good they do for Buffalo, the Pegulas aren’t very good at actually running sports franchises.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I'll venmo you the money every year then.   Ridiculous... you'll pay taxes for all sorts of nonsense, but this... this, is where you draw the line?  

who says the line is drawn there (at lease for most people)?   Taxpayers have been getting raked over the coals in this state for decades.   Doesn’t mean they’re okay with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

The statement from Pegula S&E in response to all that backlash is such a joke. 

Crazy how they lucked into McDermott considering how bad they’ve run both the Bills and Sabres.

It was completely luck they picked him.  Did use dice or draw cards?

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

No you won't. We already have one of the highest sales tax rates in the country. Most NYers are not Bills or even sports fans. Why should anyone pay for a billionaires profit center. 

If we want to publicly finance a stadium then we should publicly keep the profits from everything that comes with it. I would be in favor of a loan (even low or no interest) that was paid back over time but no, not paying a dime. I pay when I buy a ticket. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1