EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

Just now, Mango said:

The Pegula’s are a tweet away from dispelling all of this. There’s no way they don’t know about it at this point.  

From people who were partners with TP well before he bought the Sabres, your second sentence isn’t necessarily correct. But it’s not wrong. Terry is an engineer first. I’ll leave it at that. 

I'd say it's much more likely this is being pushed by Jerruh's company than the Pegula's themselves who have made statements saying a massively expensive stadium likely isn't the 'right' away to go...

My hunch is they'll let Jerruh shoot his shot and when the state tells him to go pound sand, they'll end up with something more realistic for the region. 

Everything aside, we know that Jerruh and his pal owners who need the revenue from their teams want to push small market teams to move. I don't think it happens here, but the likelihood is that in 20 years barring a real acceleration of growth in the region that the Bills will play outside of Western New York. 

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'd say it's much more likely this is being pushed by Jerruh's company than the Pegula's themselves who have made statements saying a massively expensive stadium likely isn't the 'right' away to go...

My hunch is they'll let Jerruh shoot his shot and when the state tells him to go pound sand, they'll end up with something more realistic for the region. 

Everything aside, we know that Jerruh and his pal owners who need the revenue from their teams want to push small market teams to move. I don't think it happens here, but the likelihood is that in 20 years barring a real acceleration of growth in the region that the Bills will play outside of Western New York. 

So they are going to build a new stadium and then move 15 years later.  

Ummm...I don’t think so. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They won't move the team.  I'm all but sure of that, but it makes a ton of sense financially, especially if said city is going to foot the entire bill for the stadium.  The value of the Bills would undoubtedly increase in a larger market like Austin, for example.

I think something that’s being left out of the discussion is that it’s tough to discount the fan base in Buffalo. It’s good for the NFL and it’s good for business. No matter where you move a team, you can’t assume any kind of fan base, and even if the seats are full, will you get that Buffalo energy.? No. The fan base in Buffalo will literally never budge. Even if the ticket revenue is low, who cares. We see how the entertainment sector capitalizes off the lunatic, table busting fans, and that’s intangible. Now that fans will be back in stadiums, imagine the television coverage of a packed bills house for the playoffs. It’s gonna be nuts after the last 20 years we’ve had.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The continuing negative effects of global warming on the south and west is going to cause Buffalo to have a population boom that rivals the halcyon days of the Industrial Revolution.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Bills are not leaving Buffalo. It’s embarrassing that it’s even being discussed..

Agreed.

That's why I am not even discussing anything about this.

Ain't happening in a million years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Typical owners play book  shtick, likely much ado about nothing, TPegs likes his fiefdom in western NY, not much chance he wants to share  turf with the Cowboys and the Texans, that said, he will try to squeeze NYS for as much as he can get, in the end we will have a modern version of the current stadium, but with more / bigger shopping and food options, and then life will go on as usual…,

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Because it would be a conflict of interest. Same reason why Jacobs who wanted to buy the Bills but couldn’t because he owns the Boston Bruins. Terry would be forced to sell the Sabres and that’s not happening

Not if he moves them to a city without a hockey team.

Jacobs couldn’t because of the Sabres, but there are owners that own teams in multiple cities that do not have additional sport teams.

If the Bills moved to Austin - he could maintain the Sabres.  If the Bills moved to Dallas - he couldn’t because of the Stars.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Not if he moves them to a city without a hockey team.

Jacobs couldn’t because of the Sabres, but there are owners that own teams in multiple cities that do not have additional sport teams.

If the Bills moved to Austin - he could maintain the Sabres.  If the Bills moved to Dallas - he couldn’t because of the Stars.

No he couldn’t maintain the Sabres cause Austin doesn’t have a hockey stadium. And that’s not a hockey town lol he would lose a lot of money. Look the bottom line is Pegula isn’t moving the team. End of story

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No he couldn’t maintain the Sabres cause Austin doesn’t have a hockey stadium. And that’s not a hockey town lol he would lose a lot of money. Look the bottom line is Pegula isn’t moving the team. End of story

I agree he isn’t moving the team, but he could keep the Sabres in Buffalo and the Bills in Austin.  There is nothing against that.

He would not be moving the Sabres at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Because it would be a conflict of interest. Same reason why Jacobs who wanted to buy the Bills but couldn’t because he owns the Boston Bruins. Terry would be forced to sell the Sabres and that’s not happening

Or sell the Bills to new owners in Austin? 

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree he isn’t moving the team, but he could keep the Sabres in Buffalo and the Bills in Austin.  There is nothing against that.

He would not be moving the Sabres at this point.

Agreed.

Also whether he could technically keep the Sabres or not, it wouldn’t be practical. The man who moved the Bills still owning the Sabres? They would be outcasts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Senate is likely to pass a $1 Trillion plus infrastructure spending bill.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that our leaders in Albany will find a way to grab some of that money and call it "infrastructure spending" to make sure the State's only NFL team gets what it needs to continue to stay here and be successful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BTB said:

So they are going to build a new stadium and then move 15 years later.  

Ummm...I don’t think so. 

If the new Stadium doesn't vault the Bills to being in the top half of the league for revenue...15 years is a long time and owners pushing this on the Bills won't give a ****.

I suspect a new stadium won't be the massive revenue lifter that Jerruh wants it to be.

19 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The continuing negative effects of global warming on the south and west is going to cause Buffalo to have a population boom that rivals the halcyon days of the Industrial Revolution.

It is a possibility especially with an ever increasing push towards remote work and the state's leadership is woefully unprepared to handle it because they're still in the pretend it's not happening phase. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Is this the wrong time to bring up the fact that Austin is a great town?

The music and the food alone will knock your socks off.

Meh… I thought it was kind of a dump.  Maybe it was cool years ago…

In terms of football, It’s Atlanta on steroids with transplants, complete with a college team that owns the city (UGA/UT)

31 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

I think something that’s being left out of the discussion is that it’s tough to discount the fan base in Buffalo. It’s good for the NFL and it’s good for business. No matter where you move a team, you can’t assume any kind of fan base, and even if the seats are full, will you get that Buffalo energy.? No. The fan base in Buffalo will literally never budge. Even if the ticket revenue is low, who cares. We see how the entertainment sector capitalizes off the lunatic, table busting fans, and that’s intangible. Now that fans will be back in stadiums, imagine the television coverage of a packed bills house for the playoffs. It’s gonna be nuts after the last 20 years we’ve had.

I try to take off my homer glasses when discussing this stuff, but I truly think this point has merit.   Bills Mafia is the most iconic fan base in the NFL right now. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

For comparison (and perhaps mentioned already), when Heinz Field was built in Pittsburgh it was funded 61% by taxpayer dollars.

Pegulas have no advantageous reason, except to calm down fans/media, to dispel very likely rumors to relocate.  

Chances aren't 0% that they relocate, but likely slim and as most said it's a business negotiation right now.  First offer, 100% funded with talk of.relocating, why not?  Both sides are going to put their own offers on the table, maybe State/County said something just as crazy through the negotiations.

Football about to start, sit back relax and enjoy that. This will all.get worked out, minus unnecessary worrying

9 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

The Senate is likely to pass a $1 Trillion plus infrastructure spending bill.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that our leaders in Albany will find a way to grab some of that money and call it "infrastructure spending" to make sure the State's only NFL team gets what it needs to continue to stay here and be successful.

That would be Pork of the Piggiest kind if so.  Infrastructure is supposed to be stuff like highways, bridges, storm sewers, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, we should just create a charity account to fund the stadium…. We do it for everything else.   We obviously won’t raise 1.5 billion, but if there was ever a way to demonstrate to PGSE/NYS that y’all better get this done…

Then just donate it to charity when it inevitably doesn’t go towards the stadium. 

Edited by SCBills