EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

26 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Solid take. It’s always good to hear someone who can be a fan, without delusions about the importance of the sport. We all love our Bills football, or we wouldn’t be here. That doesn’t mean there aren’t more significant things in the world as a whole. It’s kind of a lame threat imo. The Pegula’s and the rest of the planet have always known there’s more money to be made elsewhere. Buffalo was the spot because they allegedly felt some attachment to the city. Use any city you want as leverage, but in the end they either want to be in Buffalo, or elsewhere. I think it’s just a threat, but it’s a ridiculous one. 

I am not against public spending on sports. I just look at it the same as stuff like the Albright Knox or the Philharmonic. They provided value but cost money. But if the Albright Knox was clearing $70M per year after expenses. (That is what GB cleared circa 2019) and told the city, county, and state, that unless they gave them an additional $1.5B (pandemic or not), they would pack up and go. We’d line the streets and wave them good bye and laughing as they jumped on the 90.

Edited by Mango
Year
  • Agree 2

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Didn’t realize my post sounded so

alarmist. 

Well all you guys are doing is creating paranoia and giving everyone wrong ideas in their head, that the Bills might actually leave. They’re not leaving, again the Sabres is a good example of why they’re not leaving. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That’s what it is, nothing more than a threat. You guys need to crack open a cold one and relax. The Buffalo Bills aren’t going anywhere. 

How do you see this as a real possibility?? Your missing a lot and your very wrong. First off Pegula would have to give up the Sabres which something he will never do. That was and is his dream team to own, also he’s publicly stated that one of the reasons he bought this team was to keep them in Buffalo and keep them out of Bon Jovi’s hands. 

Nobody thinks they’re going anywhere. People are offended by empty threat with an absurd asking price in the middle of an ongoing pandemic/pandemic recovery. 

I agree they’re not going anywhere. And if I am the state or the county, I am not returning any phone calls until the Pegula’s come to the table with something reasonable. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Nobody thinks their going anywhere. People are offended by empty threat with an absurd asking price in the middle of an ongoing pandemic/pandemic recovery. 

I agree they’re not going anywhere. And if I am the state or the county, I am not returning any phone calls until the Pegula’s come to the table with something reasonable. 

Something tells me this isn’t the Pegulas rather it’s Jerry’s company that Pegula is using for help with the new stadium. Hence why they mentioned Austin Texas. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Nobody thinks their going anywhere. People are offended by empty threat with an absurd asking price in the middle of an ongoing pandemic/pandemic recovery. 

I think more people are offended by an absured asking price by a billionaire and a multi-billion dollar corporation. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Something tells me this isn’t the Pegulas rather it’s Jerry’s company that Pegula is using for help with the new stadium. Hence why they mentioned Austin Texas. 

Whatever. They proactively hired somebody to speak on their behalf. It doesn’t really matter. 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think more people are offended by an absured asking price by a billionaire and a multi-billion dollar corporation. 

Right. We are on the same page. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Ding ding we have a winner.  Today’s salvo was an opener.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I honestly don’t care about the ask… It’s ridiculous, but whatever… billionaires gonna billionaire.  

Im more disgusted by the (obvious) next move… which is to leverage a city move if they don’t get what they want.  I get that this is all part of the game, but it’s such a sore spot for any Bills fan, that for it to get leaked that they are leveraging Austin to get what they want is really gross.  

I get it, but I’m disgusted by it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Yes, but what could the NFL do if the Pegulas didn’t cooperate?

The NFL could decide to make adjustments to what the Bills receive in revenue splitting across the league - especially as related to stadium money - making it harder and harder to fund a competitive team.

They could come up with specific amounts of revenue each team must contribute and use that to take away picks or provide other competitive disadvantages.

They can specifically write into new television contracts a specific amount of line space and number of field feeds needed for the game and future replay - making the stadium obsolete and forcing the Bills to have to play in another stadium until a new stadium is built.

They could hold a vote and pull the franchise from the Pegula’s and choose a new ownership and site because they did not follow through on their commitments.

Overall - I think the NFL has a boatload of options ranging from financial to performance to removing the team if they want.  My guess is they want to stay back and let the Bills push and get what they need, but they have never been afraid to push the envelope as needed.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I honestly don’t care about the ask… It’s ridiculous, but whatever… billionaires gonna billionaire.  

Im more disgusted by the (obvious) next move… which is to leverage a city move if they don’t get what they want.  I get that this is all part of the game, but it’s such a sore spot for any Bills fan, that for it to get leaked that they are leveraging Austin to get what they want is really gross.  

I highly doubt they are actually leveraging another city to get what they want.  Nothing official has been released and this is all from a "source".

I'm sure if the time came when they decided to sell the sabres came we could take it serious but who in their right mind would leverage one franchise while owning another in the same location?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

This ^ We all know there’s plenty of moral quandaries here, but it’s the principal of things. I’m not saying the Bills are leaving, or causing alarm. It’s just the threats are silly. Don’t forget about the threat to play games in Toronto or State College while a new stadium is built. 

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The NFL could decide to make adjustments to what the Bills receive in revenue splitting across the league - especially as related to stadium money - making it harder and harder to fund a competitive team.

They could come up with specific amounts of revenue each team must contribute and use that to take away picks or provide other competitive disadvantages.

They can specifically write into new television contracts a specific amount of line space and number of field feeds needed for the game and future replay - making the stadium obsolete and forcing the Bills to have to play in another stadium until a new stadium is built.

They could hold a vote and pull the franchise from the Pegula’s and choose a new ownership and site because they did not follow through on their commitments.

Overall - I think the NFL has a boatload of options ranging from financial to performance to removing the team if they want.  My guess is they want to stay back and let the Bills push and get what they need, but they have never been afraid to push the envelope as needed.

All of that is basically cutting off your nose in spite of your face.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

If it was Jerry's company that suggested bringing a 3rd team to Texas Jerry's gonna fire some folks.  Jerry doesn't want a 3rd team in Texas.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Can someone explain please, how moving the Bills prohibits the Pegulas from keeping the Sabres in Buffalo?

I’m totally in favor of selling the Sabres to help cover new Bills stadium costs. I’ll help them pack. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I highly doubt they are actually leveraging another city to get what they want.  Nothing official has been released and this is all from a "source".

I'm sure if the time came when they decided to sell the sabres came we could take it serious but who in their right mind would leverage one franchise while owning another in the same location?

The Pegulas are not great owners. They extended Whaley, fired Whaley the next year, hired Rex, literally every move with the Sabres. 

I view McBeane as a broken clock being right twice a day. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I just posted something on TSW sister site (sabrespace). 

If it keeps NYS from reaching in my pocket even deeper, I am all for the burden falling on anyone who attends games in terms of ticket prices and PSL’s.  You want to use it, you pay for it  The other alternative...Kim and Terry absorb a larger share of the new stadium costs. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1