EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

If you calculate how much money NFL owners spent on buying a team and building a stadium I'm sure Terry Pegula is near the top. 

$1.4 billion. Add in a possible $600 million for a stadium. That's a lot of money for our market. For perspective, that will be almost double what Jerry Jones has spent on the Cowboys. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills and the State know what the end game is.  This is a dance meant to rile up fans to put “pressure” on the state.  

Mostly it’s about selling it to residents of NYS.  Tell ‘me the Bills are leaving, get them freaked out and they won’t fight public payout.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It would be taxpayer money from the whole state, not just Erie County. Our tax dollars have gone to NYC infrastructure. NYC taxpayers will be okay if some of their tax dollars go to a new stadium in Orchard Park. Ideally by building a big new stadium you'll invite more events to Buffalo which in turn will bring business to Buffalo. It isn't a project that exclusively benefits the Pegulas. Infrastructure spending has trickle down benefits. I bet once the official deal is in place the average NYS taxpayer will barely notice a difference.

This bolded part has been proven to be false, time and time again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Meanwhile, the guys at WGR are off the hook planning shows this week

Sal's camp reports:

"Can't tell you who lined up where, who was 1st team, what plays were run, or what happened"

"Everyone practiced today. That's our camp report!"

Followed by 8 hours of furious Bills fans talking about this story.

Only real question is whether Schopp goes full heel here on the afternoon show. This story is tailor made for his radio character. 

Well, you're already wrong. 

He can't go a day without taking about the Mets for 15 minutes and Lamar for another 20.

Sal's camp reports:

"Can't tell you who lined up where, who was 1st team, what plays were run, or what happened"

Only real question is whether Schopp goes full heel here on the afternoon show. This story is tailor made for his radio character. 

He can't go a day without taking about the Mets for 15 minutes and Lamar for another 20.

Sal's camp reports:

Sal's camp reports:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

The Bills and the State know what the end game is.  This is a dance meant to rile up fans to put “pressure” on the state.  

Mostly it’s about selling it to residents of NYS.  Tell ‘me the Bills are leaving, get them freaked out and they won’t fight public payout.

I think it'll be easier if they speak in actual taxes it would cost an individual tax payer rather than saying $1.5 billion. 

This is $1.5 billion over 30 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

God, I hate hearing this stuff. Just a damn distraction and pisses me off. I just read about this Austin business today and it makes me furious. I live on the west coast now, but I’d easily hand over $10k right flipping now to help support a new stadium. If the “Buffalo” Bills don’t exist I’m done with the NFL. My wife wouldn’t mind I guess if Sunday’s weren’t all about the Bills….

• Like (+1) 1

Have the Pegulas responded to this? I always love reported by sources stories. 

...If you ask me if this happened it was like trying to sell your house, who ever lists it for what they want to get, ya jack the price up so you can negotiate the price to what ya want to get

Just now, Maynard said:

God, I hate hearing this stuff. Just a damn distraction and pisses me off. I just read about this Austin business today and it makes me furious. I live on the west coast now, but I’d easily hand over $10k right flipping now to help support a new stadium (chump change I know). If the “Buffalo” Bills don’t exist I’m done with the NFL. My wife wouldn’t mind I guess if Sunday’s weren’t all about the Bills….

didn’t the state just recently bail on the Amazon faculty in Manhattan because they were asking for a couple jillion in tax dollars? That projected was also estimated to create thousands of jobs…unlike this one

Honestly who can say if some city (let's say St. Louis) says to Pagula "we will finance 50% of the stadium, our economy will support you tripling your ticket prices, and since it's a new stadium you can sell PSLs to help recoup your share of the stadium" that Pagula wouldn't be an idiot to turn it down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a Bills fan as everybody else and have been for longer than most, so it would break my heart if WNY lost the Bills, but I for one see it as a real possibility.

And don't give me that "well he'd have to sell the Sabers argument" IMHO he'd dump that train wreck of a team in a New York nanosecond for a sweetheart deal for the Bills

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It would be taxpayer money from the whole state, not just Erie County. Our tax dollars have gone to NYC infrastructure. NYC taxpayers will be okay if some of their tax dollars go to a new stadium in Orchard Park. Ideally by building a big new stadium you'll invite more events to Buffalo which in turn will bring business to Buffalo. It isn't a project that exclusively benefits the Pegulas. Infrastructure spending has trickle down benefits. I bet once the official deal is in place the average NYS taxpayer will barely notice a difference.

Almost every study done on public funding for stadiums has shown it has done almost nothing for local economies as they always sell, yet always enriches the team owners.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Mango said:

If getting $1.5B in tax payer dollars after a pandemic where people lost their entire livelihoods, family, friends, children, etc. is important enough to the Pegulas to pick up an take the Bills out of Buffalo. They’re welcome to leave. 

I understand this is the start of a negotiation. But I can’t get behind billionaires asking for billions in a billion dollar industry so that they can keep making billions, while still in the thwarts of a pandemic. Meanwhile some are still struggling to get by and ultimately he’s asking for their tax dollars to keep money in his pocket. 

Solid take. It’s always good to hear someone who can be a fan, without delusions about the importance of the sport. We all love our Bills football, or we wouldn’t be here. That doesn’t mean there aren’t more significant things in the world as a whole. It’s kind of a lame threat imo. The Pegula’s and the rest of the planet have always known there’s more money to be made elsewhere. Buffalo was the spot because they allegedly felt some attachment to the city. Use any city you want as leverage, but in the end they either want to be in Buffalo, or elsewhere. I think it’s just a threat, but it’s a ridiculous one. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Solid take. It’s always good to hear someone who can be a fan, without delusions about the importance of the sport. We all love our Bills football, or we wouldn’t be here. That doesn’t mean there aren’t more significant things in the world as a whole. It’s kind of a lame threat imo. The Pegula’s and the rest of the planet have always known there’s more money to be made elsewhere. Buffalo was the spot because they allegedly felt some attachment to the city. Use any city you want as leverage, but in the end they either want to be in Buffalo, or elsewhere. I think it’s just a threat, but it’s a ridiculous one. 

That’s what it is, nothing more than a threat. You guys need to crack open a cold one and relax. The Buffalo Bills aren’t going anywhere. 

33 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

Honestly who can say if some city (let's say St. Louis) says to Pagula "we will finance 50% of the stadium, our economy will support you tripling your ticket prices, and since it's a new stadium you can sell PSLs to help recoup your share of the stadium" that Pagula wouldn't be an idiot to turn it down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a Bills fan as everybody else and have been for longer than most, so it would break my heart if WNY lost the Bills, but I for one see it as a real possibility.

And don't give me that "well he'd have to sell the Sabers argument" IMHO he'd dump that train wreck of a team in a New York nanosecond for a sweetheart deal for the Bills

How do you see this as a real possibility?? Your missing a lot and your very wrong. First off Pegula would have to give up the Sabres which something he will never do. That was and is his dream team to own, also he’s publicly stated that one of the reasons he bought this team was to keep them in Buffalo and keep them out of Bon Jovi’s hands.