EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

9 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Really takes some of the joy away from the upcoming season.  

This is certainly not what anyone wants to be reading right now, but this is just how these negotiations work.   I don’t believe anyone truly thinks the Bills are leaving Buffalo.. just a matter of how ugly it gets before the two sides inevitably come together. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately you cannot dismiss these things and have to take them seriously, despite all the different reports coming out from various outlets.

St. Louis was about to build its second NFL stadium in 20 years and the team still left. San Antonio/Austin as much as Jerry Jones doesn't want a team there is a growing region and San Antonio has aggressively courted teams before. If they are genuine about wanting 1.5b in public money that is outrageously unreasonable.

Edited by red hots
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, red hots said:

Unfortunately you cannot dismiss these things and have to take them seriously, despite all the different reports coming out from various outlets.

St. Louis was about to build its second NFL stadium in 20 years and the team still left. San Antonio/Austin as much as Jerry Jones doesn't want a team there is a growing region and San Antonio has aggressively courted teams before. If they are genuine about wanting 1.5b in public money that is outrageously unreasonable.

Don't forget the Pegulas hired Jerry Jones' firm to handle stadium negotiations. Austin? I believe Toronto before there.

29 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

If getting $1.5B in tax payer dollars after a pandemic where people lost their entire livelihoods, family, friends, children, etc. is important enough to the Pegulas to pick up an take the Bills out of Buffalo. They’re welcome to leave. 

I understand this is the start of a negotiation. But I can’t get behind billionaires asking for billions in a billion dollar industry so that they can keep making billions, while still in the thwarts of a pandemic. Meanwhile some are still struggling to get by and ultimately he’s asking for their tax dollars to keep money in his pocket. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

If getting $1.5B in tax payer dollars after a pandemic where people lost their entire livelihoods, family, friends, children, etc. is important enough to the Pegulas to pick up an take the Bills out of Buffalo. They’re welcome to leave. 

I understand this is the start of a negotiation. But I can’t get behind billionaires asking for billions in a billion dollar industry so that they can keep making billions, while still in the thwarts of a pandemic. Meanwhile some are still struggling to get by and ultimately he’s asking for their tax dollars to keep money in his pocket. 

This entire pandemic has resulted in a massive shift of money/real estate/equity from the middle class to the billionaire class… I can’t get too worked up about this.   At least in this scenario, we get a new football stadium. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Oh, well, now they're just making stuff up. I live in Austin and the... desire for an NFL team is low. The massive stadium that would be required would need to go somewhere outside the city and the traffic problems down here are already bad and difficult to solve. There's only a light commuter rail that is next to useless for public transportation and the parking for it wouldn't support extending it out to some fictional stadium (not to mention they worked around a lot of eminent domain issues so the route sucks and has frequent stops for road traffic). 

That's before you get into the culture, that there are many other venues (so revenue from other events would probably be low) and that the Longhorns dominate the city... yeah. 

If they said San Antonio, it might be believable. 

In fact, these 'leaks' are so laughably without context that I would not be surprised if they are straight from Jerry Jones.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Oh, well, now they're just making stuff up. I live in Austin and the... desire for an NFL team is low. The massive stadium that would be required would need to go somewhere outside the city and the traffic problems down here are already bad and difficult to solve. There's only a light commuter rail that is next to useless for public transportation and the parking for it wouldn't support extending it out to some fictional stadium (not to mention they worked around a lot of eminent domain issues so the route sucks and has frequent stops for road traffic). 

That's before you get into the culture, that there are many other venues (so revenue from other events would probably be low) and that the Longhorns dominate the city... yeah. 

If they said San Antonio, it might be believable. 

You'll know better than me, but Austin comes across as a new money transient place full of people from other cities already rooting for other teams. And the Longhorns are so entrenched as well. I'm guessing theres a ton of Cowboys fans there historically if you're asking locals to pick an NFL team. Texans I have no inkling about as they're a younger and less successful team.

Seems like a mini LA demographically to me and we know how the Chargers move especially to a place that doesn't want them has worked out.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

good question.  Not sure.

several owners would feel “betrayed” I figure.  The Mara’s being one of them.

Mara was the owner who hinted that Pegula gave the other owners assurances that the stadium issue would be address.

mara made it sound it was this assurance that led the owners to give pegula the team and not explore other bids.

why do others want a new stadium?   how does a new stadium, on it’s own, increase revenue?

Just now, SCBills said:

Pressure from the NFL.  

thanks, I get that, I don’t get the pressure part.  more boxes?   just put more in Ralph?’

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This entire pandemic has resulted in accelerating a massive shift of money/real estate/equity from the middle class to the billionaire class… I can’t get too worked up about this.   At least in this scenario, we get a new football stadium. 

updated.

• Agree 2

Nobody should be worried about this. It’s a tactic threat and nothing more. Highly doubt Pegula would go back on his word about Keeping the team in Buffalo. That’s one of the main reasons he bought the damn franchise, to keep it out of Bon Jovi’s and the Toronto backers hands. He’s not moving the Bills because in order to do that he would have to give up his dream in the Sabre’s and that’s not happening. It’s gonna come down to being 50/50. I’ll put money on this that the Bills stay in Buffalo

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I do not want the Bills to move.  If they do, the Austin/San Antonio I-35 corridor is personally a great option as I spend half the football season in Texas.  There has been talk of a baseball stadium between the 2 cities but have not heard of a football stadium.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I do not want the Bills to move.  If they do, the Austin/San Antonio I-35 corridor is personally a great option as I spend half the football season in Texas.  There has been talk of a baseball stadium between the 2 cities but have not heard of a football stadium.

They aren't moving.