EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

I never understood why fans get upset about paying money for a sports team. It's one of the few things in life outside of family that I pay money on. 

I don't need to hear the economics of a stadium. When I spend money on the Bills I do it for my own pleasure, not the community. 

As for the Pegulas, they've spent billions already on western New York. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

They’ll obviously end up coming way down from this number. Just a question of how much. I may be mistaken but I think Vegas is currently the record holder at $750 mil in public funding for their football stadium. Dallas is #1 in total with just under $1 billion spread across their baseball and football stadiums. 

8 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Bad look.  Can't even justify this as some sort of new broader economic development given that it will just go right next to the existing stadium.  

No, it's a luxury and I love it. We've paid for sports stadiums in NYC area. Time for them to pony up. 

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They’ll obviously end up coming way down from this number. Just a question of how much. I may be mistaken but I think Vegas is currently the record holder at $750 mil in public funding for their football stadium. Dallas is #1 in total with just under $1 billion spread across their baseball and football stadiums. 

Minnesota? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No, it's a luxury and I love it. We've paid for sports stadiums in NYC area. Time for them to pony up. 

Minnesota? 

Minnesota is #2 behind Dallas, around $850 mil between two stadiums. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/taxpayer-money-billion-dollar-stadiums/

Edited by DCOrange

Bills front office: We love you all so much!   Best fans in the world ❤️

Also Bills front office:  taxpayers, who are already being squeezed on multiple fronts, should foot the bill for a new stadium that we don’t need

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Bills front office: We love you all so much!   Best fans in the world ❤️

Also Bills front office:  taxpayers, who are already being squeezed on multiple fronts, should foot the bill for a new stadium that we don’t need

The stadium is 50 years old. They need a new one.  And the NFL is demanding a new one.

• Like (+1) 1

The team has made no overt threats, sources say, to leave Buffalo if it doesn’t get the full funding request, but it has made clear to government negotiators that there are other cities elsewhere that desire an NFL franchise and would pay handsomely for it.

I've never threatened to leave her, but every once in a while I'll show my wife my spam folder, just so she's aware of all the hot Russian MILFs who want to date me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

The team has made no overt threats, sources say, to leave Buffalo if it doesn’t get the full funding request, but it has made clear to government negotiators that there are other cities elsewhere that desire an NFL franchise and would pay handsomely for it.

Joking aside, the Pegulas paid about 40% above the team's appraised value in order to ensure that the Bills stayed in Buffalo. I can't see them paying 9-digit NFL relocation fees on top of all that, plus being hated in their own community, in order to avoid paying for a new stadium.

27 minutes ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

It should have a roof

Yeah, but if it doesn't there are newer construction technologies that keep the wind out. It's almost like Rich was constructed in a way that doubles wind speed on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A stadium downtown, seems like a good idea, but I think the Pegula's already have other properties in Orchard Park. Securing downtown properties (especially, in the current market) would likely drive the final facility cost significantly higher.

Huh?  What properties do the Pegula’s own in OP(other than one small lot adjacent to stadium property) and how does that impact their decison to stay in OP?