EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

• 3 weeks later...

Buffalo Bills want a new stadium – and for taxpayers to foot the bill

In fact, it’s one of the largest asks for public money in pro sports stadium negotiations: Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the team’s owners, have pitched a $1.5 billion proposal for a new stadium in Orchard Park and to help cover some renovation costs to the Pegulas' NHL Sabres arena in downtown Buffalo.

The public would provide an unprecedented 100%, according to multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the high sensitivity of the early stage of negotiations.

• A new stadium – that multiple sources say is expected to be built in Orchard Park adjacent to the team’s existing facility so that there would be no need to temporarily relocate to another city during a multiple-year construction effort – would cost at least $1.1 billion, with the remaining several hundred million dollars of the requested package earmarked for renovations at the Sabres’ KeyBank Center.

https://buffalonews.com/news/state-and-regional/buffalo-bills-want-a-new-stadium-and-for-taxpayers-to-foot-the-bill/article_dc794aea-f14a-11eb-a5ae-17fdaa70c27c.html

• Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

As this is, as the article states, early stages… this seems like negotiation tactics. So I guess we know which side has released these little nuggets.

Probably going to be an ugly road for a bit. And this is going to be a very, very long thread.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Probably going to be an ugly road for a bit. And this is going to be a very, very long thread.

That'll Ertz...😇

"It's not fair!  I get blamed for everything, and I only do 95% of it!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

As this is, as the article states, early stages… this seems like negotiation tactics. So I guess we know which side has released these little nuggets.

Fans don't understand negotiations for whatever reason. 

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Let’s see.. (tapping my pencil to my tongue as I search my records and prepare to check off list)) Oh yeah! Next comes ‘Threaten to Leave area’ .. Yep, right out of the RCW Playbook!

Every owner playbook. 

• Like (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, BTB said:

Ok...Let me know how the split is going to go from 100% taxpayer/0% Pegula, to at minimum a 50%/50% split?

More like 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%. Terry & Kim, the NFL, state and county, and PSLs. Everyone will pay something if you want this to happen.

Buffalo as a market punches above it's weight when it comes to pro sports. We're a minor league market with two major league teams. Both the NHL and NFL would be thrilled if taxpayers asked the teams to leave.

So we all have to ask ourselves how much having the Bills and Sabres mean to us, and would we be fine with AHL hockey and UB football/basketball for entertainment? Of course who will foot the bill to demolish Highmark Stadium and Key Back Center? Those don't just evaporate on their own.

• Like (+1) 7

It will probably come in around 55/45 public/private split. The big contribution from the county will be ECC South land.  But it has to get done fast in case Cuomo gets in trouble next election cycle.  The Bills want it done ASAP for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1