EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

2 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

Jake Fromm arm.. I was just using an example of a quarterback with a less than above average arm strength for NFL

All quarterbacks who can't cut it through the wind struggle here late

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I wonder how many of the “it will be the end of the world if they build a dome”, 

Not sure who is among that group. Don't know that I've seen that response. 

But I'd like to think Pegula addressed that very thing in the research they've been conducting.  If they were competent I'm going to assume they tested how much more the fan base was willing to spend on a Bills ticket in a covered stadium vs an open air stadium in even the best weather conditions. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

And That's why we got a quarterback who throws 60 miles an hour.. to cut it through the wind

Yeah Matt Barkleys arm might be effected.. Josh Allen might have one or two out of every 10 throws effected.. while the opposing QB has 5-6 effected

Packers fans do that too. It's part of living in the Western New York community

And You get free tickets to the game.. it's win win

I can see why it's not going downtown. 

Especially with what's going on in the city rn

Fair points, but are there any real life examples that demonstrate Allen outplaying an opponent in poor conditions ? Allen has looked awful in bad weather tbh. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair points, but are there any real life examples that demonstrate Allen outplaying an opponent in poor conditions ? Allen has looked awful in bad weather tbh. 

For the first couple years of his career he was playing with sub-par cast around him.. it was hard for him to look good in beautiful weather sometimes with his support staff 

He has all the traits you need to excel in inclement weather, and now the supporting staff with experience to boost.. 

The way the ball came off his hand in the ravens game vs Lamar was still night and day and it was a cold January day with 20mph wind 

He's only going to get better with experience

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:53 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Are we supposed to be impressed by your overuse now of the word "comminitas"?

Good for you, you listen to Schoop and Bulldog, I dont waste my time but i see how you can form your opinions.

Gee, thanks for "enlightening me", I figured out why i come here, to try and have an intellectually  honest debate which you are apparently  incapable of.  Bye Bye

It's commUnitas.   As in community.  

A place where everyone is in equal standing and with the same shared goals/objectives............which does not describe the dynamic of schools or shopping centers etc..

When we are in that stadium we are all just Bills fans.

Stadiums aren't going away whether you can grasp the concept of why or not.

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

Not sure who is among that group. Don't know that I've seen that response. 

But I'd like to think Pegula addressed that very thing in the research they've been conducting.  If they were competent I'm going to assume they tested how much more the fan base was willing to spend on a Bills ticket in a covered stadium vs an open air stadium in even the best weather conditions. 

A while back, I remember getting a season ticket holder survey about a new stadium. I think there were questions on how much would be willing to pay for PSLs, club seats, etc. 

Probably not a popular opinion but why not just build a dome or have the option to close the roof so we never have to use poor weather as an excuse for losing a game again and can take advantage of Allen talent during his (hopefully) long career in Buffalo??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Probably not a popular opinion but why not just build a dome or have the option to close the roof so we never have to use poor weather as an excuse for losing a game again and can take advantage of Allen talent during his (hopefully) long career in Buffalo??

Have you bothered to read any of the responses in this thread? A retractable roof* is, BY FAR, the most expensive option.

* For all the talk of "domes" very few current stadiums have DOMES as their roofs. I believe the majority of enclosed stadiums are not domed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, FilthyBeast said:

I can’t believe it took this long for someone to come up with this idea. For God’s sake someone contact the Pegulas ASAP.

Edited by NobesBLO13
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Have you bothered to read any of the responses in this thread? A retractable roof* is, BY FAR, the most expensive option.

* For all the talk of "domes" very few current stadiums have DOMES as their roofs. I believe the majority of enclosed stadiums are not domed.

Pegulas have plenty of cash and need to make it happen.

Warm flat labatt blue beers are already what $15 bucks a pop at the stadium? Just jack them up to $20 each problem solved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

A while back, I remember getting a season ticket holder survey about a new stadium. I think there were questions on how much would be willing to pay for PSLs, club seats, etc. 

I recall that too.  The gist of my comments were, if you price me out of seats in between the 30s on a lower level, you won't ever see me in the new stadium.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

You know people are just using the term “dome” to refer to all indoor/enclosed stadiums. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BTB said:

You know people are just using the term “dome” to refer to all indoor/enclosed stadiums. 

Yes, I understand.  Most people are lazy with their language and with their thinking.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Pegulas have plenty of cash and need to make it happen.

Warm flat labatt blue beers are already what $15 bucks a pop at the stadium? Just jack them up to $20 each problem solved.

But Pegula isn't paying for the stadium, at least not for all of it. The taxpayers of NYS and Erie County are on the hook, too. But if Terry was footing the ENTIRE bill, don't you think it a bit presumptuous to tell him what kind of stadium he should build?

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

Riiiight, but what about a dome...with a retractible roof?  🙄  🤣 :beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Carucci: Buffalo Bills stadium plans “not fully formed”

“I’m not nearly as convinced as some that plans are ‘moving along’ for a new stadium in Orchard Park,” said Carucci, answering a question about where the footprint of the new stadium would be located. “There has been reporting to that effect, but nothing I’ve heard from multiple people who I believe would have a decent handle on the situation convinces me that any plans are as fully formed as at least some of the reports indicated.”

He also gave some insight as to why a new stadium is going to be built instead of renovating Highmark Stadium.

“Based on conversations I’ve had with experts in the field of sports facilities, building a new stadium would make the most sense because it would not be much more expensive than upgrading the Bills’ existing home,” said Carucci.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It would end up the most logical scenario, it’s built right on the largest parking lot next to the current stadium.  They already have the land, the infrastructure getting 75,000+ people in and out of there is already built up over 50 years, wouldn’t disrupt the games as they would simply tear down Highmark after construction of the new semi open one is done.  That’s what Tampa did with the Sombrero to Ray Jay Stadium.  It was relatively seamless.  Back in the 90’s down here there was the same debate to have closer to downtown, but in the end it was the most cost effective how they ended up completing plans.

Having a semi covered stadium also fits a lot of the needs and desires.  Seattle’s stadium was built to cut down all of the rain there and enhance crowd noise.  The owner (Allen) was the richest owner in the league at that time, and made sure the stadium itself would enhance the crowd noise.  With OP, the semi covered nature would be more economical, the winds would be cut down, they probably would install massive heaters for November-January to maintain attendance, and given the public/private partnership would keep down taxes, PSL’s, and the eventual significant increases in seats and amenities.  Today, Buffalo has one of the lower end cost of seats in the league.  It’s going to go up.

Im guessing there is no way the NFL is going to let the current stadium just simply allow for upgrades.  Besides, it would just be so expensive to retrofit the current stadium, that it just wouldn’t be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I believe that the covered seats will see them biggest increase in ticket prices when all us said and done.  In other words, the cheapest tickets now will be much more desirable later.  This will serve to increase the over all "average" ticket price and make the Bills more economically viable ( or whatever phrase Goodell us using) long term.

It makes me laugh when people talk about OP having superior infrastructure. All it has is a sea of parking lots. It has non existent public transit, it has minimal bars, hotels, restaurants. Theres still huge traffic jams around games. Its an open air stadium slap bang in the middle of the snow belt. 

If Buffalo is serious about urban revitalization then this is every bit the same important piece that major developments like Canalside, the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, Harborcenter and Seneca One redevelopment are. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, red hots said:

It makes me laugh when people talk about OP having superior infrastructure. All it has is a sea of parking lots. It has non existent public transit, it has minimal bars, hotels, restaurants. Theres still huge traffic jams around games. Its an open air stadium slap bang in the middle of the snow belt. 

If Buffalo is serious about urban revitalization then this is every bit the same important piece that major developments like Canalside, the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, Harborcenter and Seneca One redevelopment are. 

Parking lots that would need to be built downtown. The roads out there are wider for the most part can change the lane directions as needed. Can't really do that with a narrow one way. If you think the traffic is bad in OP(it's not) go to a sabres game downtown with a quarter of the people. An empty stadium 350 days of the year isn't going to revitalize much. Yeah it may look nice but it's a waste. The billions it would cost on top of the stadium isn't worth putting it downtown. 

• Like (+1) 2

Theres minimal need for parking lots. Theres around 20k parking spaces in Downtown Buffalo, of which when games largely take place on sundays, these lie otherwise empty, in an area with significantly stronger public transit than Orchard Park does or ever will have. Just because the field is only guaranteed use 10 times per year doesn't mean the building itself is empty. Lambeau Field is in use every single day of the year except Christmas day. Browns stadium 150 days a year outside of gamedays at last check in 2017/18. Theres 15 hotels in Downtown Buffalo which makes a stadium in that area much more strategically placed to hold private and corporate events. Bills Stadium has the Red Carpet Inn.

Edited by red hots
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1