EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

34 minutes ago, The Dean said:

From the WKBW article

Who is Buckley? There is no other mention of him/her in the article. And that doesn't look like a question to me.

Eileen Buckley, the author of the article

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

@YoloinOhio yes a tax hike will be required. Why did you delete your post ?

So doing the math, a new domed stadium will cost around 2-3 billion.

If PSLs can only get 200M-300M, where is the rest of the money coming from ?

I'll tell you. The taxpayers.  Pegula will not put much of his money up. He will try to shake down the tax payers of Buffalo.

I hope the taxpayers vote no and force the billionaire to pay for his own stadium.

In no way should tax payers pay for a billionaires stadium.  

If I go to see a movie should I help pay for the movie theater?

You do help pay for the theater with ticket prices, concession prices, and typically they get a nice discounted tax rate to build because of the sales tax they bring in - so your taxes help fund that discount they receive.  They get a better interest rate - making your interest rate worse to help fund.  They get tons and tons of incentives to build and all of that comes from you.

Pegula is working with everyone to fund the stadium - just as he should be.  He should get some NFL funding, some state funding, some county funding, and some of his own money.  

It seems like he is making choices based on exactly what he thinks works in this area and you are bashing him - just crazy.

I think they will use a bunch of means to get money - PSLs, a tax hike, a user fee on tickets and parking, taxes on gambling/betting, a hotel tax, etc to fund what they need.  Just like the movie theater- you and all of us will be paying and I am fine with that.  I would be better if they were building a better, bigger stadium downtown that could serve multiple functions and help bring a Super Bowl as they grow the area.  Basically the current design locks that out as a future option, but is more fiscally responsible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chicharito said:

The Pegulas have bought large chunks of land downtown. Like the whole perry projects. Other big investors and developers have also bought up everything around the area as well. With that being said I believe they are holding the lease and saying that they are going to be in the road for 2 years as a bargaining chip for tax breaks and lower lease price. No way will the county or state lose out on the money that the bills bring in. The stadium will be a downtown stadium.

This is news to me.  Paladino was sniffing around the Perry Projects a few years ago, and wanted to buy them for $1 or something crazy.  Other than the bldg that houses PSE HQ, I don’t know of any other land the Pegula’s have purchased, and it would be hard to keep it a secret. 

Paladino on the other hand, has parcels of land all over that section of town...and I’m sure he hopes to cash in if the stadium goes anywhere around that area. 

Edited by BTB

On 6/18/2021 at 9:59 AM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

If this were a legal case, with Goodell as the judge and Jones as an attorney, Jones would be asked to recuse himself due to a conflict of interest.

Why is that not happening now?

Let's just win the Super Bowl. Then this frilly stuff will take care of itself.

What in the actual *****???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Isn't that why we drafted Allen because of the brutal wind and weather of WNY just like Wyoming he could cut through it with his strong arm?  (Sarcasm)

How many times a year does weather really impact games with the Bills, maybe 2 a year?

Things are different post-covid regardless.  Going to be hard to justify expensive stadiums that are used 10-12 times a year especially  now that people have gone an entire year not in the stands.  And technology will only make it easier and easier to watch remotely, from a convenient place.

Stadiums are going to be like Malls in 20 years, nice antiquated monsters from a bygone era.

I basically disagree with each point in this post.

Yes, Allen has a strong arm but top QB's have LONG careers now that often extend far past their "athletic" peak.    Ben Roethlisberger had a cannon for an arm 15 years ago..........now his arm strength is very poor for an NFL QB.

Wind impacts at least half of the Bills home games every year.    Whether it's discussed by the talking heads on tv when you are watching the game or not it's evident from the stands every week.

We don't know if the environment for pro football consumption will be worse post-covid.   In the 20th century,  economic recessions often took many years to get out of.........but things move much more quickly now...........go back to 2008 and look how fast the economy bounced out of that........even after the government gave the farm away to the auto industry etc..  

People will still feel that instinctive need for "communitas" in 20 years...........stadiums aren't going away.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, red hots said:

This rendering was found online a few weeks ago and subsequently taken down, seemingly it was not meant to be out to the public yet. However on the same site there was also a rendering of a renovated "New Era Field" which was also removed, so no idea how old this is, or if its a genuine plan or merely a rendering of one of many ideas.  Populous the stadium architects are behind it I believe.

M5tq1py.jpg

That is weird.

Lotta' brown and green in there.   Looks like a modernized version of "Cleveland's Municipal Stadium".    The stadium serves one purpose.........so make it look like the Buffalo Bills actually play there.

I like the Flutie/Johnson mural on the side of the upper deck facing the big end zone walk way, though.  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That is weird.

Lotta' brown and green in there.   Looks like a modernized version of "Cleveland's Municipal Stadium".    The stadium serves one purpose.........so make it look like the Buffalo Bills actually play there.

I like the Flutie/Johnson mural on the side of the upper deck facing the big end zone walk way, though.  :thumbsup:

We don't need Bills colors plastered all over the stadium exterior, but Buffalo is a blue collar city so a more industrial look would do well.

Edited by galept

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, Allen has a strong arm but top QB's have LONG careers now that often extend far past their "athletic" peak.    Ben Roethlisberger had a cannon for an arm 15 years ago..........now his arm strength is very poor for an NFL QB.

Wind impacts at least half of the Bills home games every year.    Whether it's discussed by the talking heads on tv when you are watching the game or not it's evident from the stands every week.

We don't know if the environment for pro football consumption will be worse post-covid.   In the 20th century,  economic recessions often took many years to get out of.........but things move much more quickly now...........go back to 2008 and look how fast the economy bounced out of that........even after the government gave the farm away to the auto industry etc..  

People will still feel that instinctive need for "communitas" in 20 years...........stadiums aren't going away.

I agree about the impact of weather. Expect the influence of weather to grow as the league adds games to the schedule. We have two regular season home games in January this year. That’s huge with potential playoff implications. There seems to be a big difference with WNY weather before Christmas and after Christmas. These January games have the chance of being brutal. 

• Like (+1) 2

Im sure this has been discussed, its a long thread, but aside from whether I prefer a city dome or a suburban open-air what I really dont like is not playing in Buffalo during Allens prime years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, galept said:

We don't need Bills colors plastered all over the stadium exterior, but Buffalo is a blue collar city so a more industrial look would do well.

The Bills are the only team playing there and the seats inside are going to be colorful with the blue and red etc.. so no reason for the outside to clash with the interior.........makes the stadium look retro-fitted rather than built to purpose.

I'm not even sure I would call that an "industrial" look.........it kinda' looks like a mall.

Also not sure that Buffalo is really a "blue collar" city anymore.    Some Bills fans may want Buffalo to be perceived that way........(especially those with white collars :devil:)........ but that's not really how it's been trending for a long time now.    

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not even sure I would call that an "industrial" look.........it kinda' looks like a mall.    

It looks like a giant Bass Pro shop actually.  Like the one connected (now gone?) to the Galleria Mall.  Does seem like the look that artist is going for, whatever that is.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

As an architect I’m fascinated by the impressions of the rendering. It looks like something designed specifically for Buffalo. I don’t think it’s a stock rendering with a label stuck on the side. But they’re going to need plenty of volunteers to shovel that outdoor end zone patio during the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As an architect I’m fascinated by the impressions of the rendering. It looks like something designed specifically for Buffalo. I don’t think it’s a stock rendering with a label stuck on the side. But they’re going to need plenty of volunteers to shovel that outdoor end zone patio during the playoffs.  

That was my thought exactly 🤣.  But I really like it.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You disagree with each point, good for you.

Did you bother read to the end of my comment on Allens arm (sarcasm).

And yes, the malls were never going to  be empty either.

We shall see how stadiums evolve, if you can only see the present that is up to you.  Things evolve and change, some people can foresee a different future, others cant.

is the new stadium being built in the Adirondacks?

Seriously though, I'm just happy it's open air! Aside from the $2+ billion mega structures like in LA, domes are awful. Saints games look like they are being played in a basement where someone left half the lights on accidently. 

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Saints games look like they are being played in a basement where someone left half the lights on accidently

Agreed, but domes/enclosed facilities have come a long way since the Superdome was built.  Indy, Minnesota, Atlanta have amazing enclosed stadiums.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

is the new stadium being built in the Adirondacks?

Seriously though, I'm just happy it's open air! Aside from the $2+ billion mega structures like in LA, domes are awful. Saints games look like they are being played in a basement where someone left half the lights on accidently. 

If you look though, those brown strips are actually brick, would probably look a lot better in reality.  

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree about the impact of weather. Expect the influence of weather to grow as the league adds games to the schedule. We have two regular season home games in January this year. That’s huge with potential playoff implications. There seems to be a big difference with WNY weather before Christmas and after Christmas. These January games have the chance of being brutal. 

Whenever the weather thing comes up I think it tends to get overblown.  The Bills played two playoff games last jan in OP and the Colts game was 30 and sunny with little wind and the Ravens came was a bit more breezy but the weather wasnt a factor.  I didnt pick up a snow shovel last year until the day after Christmas and i really dont remember WNY getting much snow in Jan either.  There is always a chance for horrible weather in WNY in late fall/winter but.... those instances seem like they are getting really few and far between.  I dont know if you look back over the past 10 years very few home games have been impacted by the weather imo.

• Agree 1