EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

It's a nice design. I like the way the architect wants to mix the industrial with nature, and the moss/weeds will provide natural cushioning when sitting on the concrete   

Only the best for Kim

THIS TIME, Please do an extensive, exhaustive GPR study in the area BEFORE the first spadeful of ground captures the cameras’ eye. 2 League titles in the previous 9 years before Ralph stuck his shovel in the Orchard Park mud over ancient Indian burial grounds and the closest we’ve come in the 51 years hence was Wide Right!🤦‍♂️

I’m begging you!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I don't understand the need to play "away" from the current stadium.

Its obviously a negotiation tool which could backfire badly.

BTW what happened to the downtown dome?

Playing away suggests they are going to raze the old stadium and build the new one in the same place. Makes sense because the infrastructure is already in place for the most part and that will save a ton of money. 

Not sure what happened to the downtown location idea, but the feasibility study they performed along with other market research may have indicated that OP makes the most sense, especially from a cost standpoint.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Playing away suggests they are going to raze the old stadium and build the new one in the same place. Makes sense because the infrastructure is already in place for the most part and that will save a ton of money. 

Not sure what happened to the downtown location idea, but the feasibility study they performed along with other market research may have indicated that OP makes the most sense, especially from a cost standpoint.

There is enough land out there to build it beside the current stadium.....just expropriate Hammers Lot ;)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Losing out on my dream for a Dome, I hope they build the new one half underground like Rich/Ralph/NewEra/BS, ect.. Traipsing up all those levels @ NRG Stadium in Houston to the ‘nose bleeds’ ‘bout killed this old duffer! Half underground means street level is mid-stadium and so much easier to reach your seats and the Pee bowls. 

3ACC6FA0-FDC4-4658-BF9F-E5C23E243B6F.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 3

The good part is the Bills will be competitive until a stadium is built.  Stadium talks now are an attempt to ride the wave of a good season and team.  Can’t see massive public support for the Gregg or Jauron years.

I have no issue with that.  Love the current stadium, sight lines are great and would love to see this one upgraded.  At some point it will be unusable as time takes its toll.

9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

New Stadiums rarely have enough financial impact to justify the costs even if their financial impact is considerable. Even less so, if you look at other programs for economic enrichment. 

As someone who lives out of state and doesn't make it up for home games often, I'm all for spending your tax dollars to give the Bills any competitive advantage a new stadium would offer to the team.

Sometimes it’s OK to spend money on things people enjoy. 

The obvious place they will build it is the main parking lot right next to field house and sports performance center.

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Playing  games away from Buffalo would make the franchise seem very bush league imo. It’s just not something NFL teams do while building a new stadium. 

The Chicago Bears played at the University of Illinois stadium in Champaign, IL. (2 hours south of Chicago) when Soldier Field was upgraded 

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Playing  games away from Buffalo would make the franchise seem very bush league imo. It’s just not something NFL teams do while building a new stadium. 

The Bears played in Champaign while they rebuilt Soldier Field....

10 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

The good part is the Bills will be competitive until a stadium is built.  Stadium talks now are an attempt to ride the wave of a good season and team.  Can’t see massive public support for the Gregg or Jauron years.

I have no issue with that.  Love the current stadium, sight lines are great and would love to see this one upgraded.  At some point it will be unusable as time takes its toll.

A little bit.  Politically, it's time to move.  Gotta get this done while Cuomo is there.  Don't know who the next governor will be.  They have a working relationship with Cuomo, and he's incentivized to help now if he wants to run again in 2022.  It's time to cut the deal.  

And I don't think they're going to build on the Highmark footprint.  ECC make too much sense.  Erie County wants to close the campus as it is.  New stadium would be the perfect excuse.  The point in yesterday's reports suggested that Toronto/Penn State are temporary options in the event a new lease agreement for Highmark can't. be reached.  The reference to alternate arrangements had nothing to do with construction.  So the guess here is that it's ECC, and that Highmark comes down only after the new stadium is occupied.  

The further guess here is that we can expect some sort of design that allows for the quick erection of a rink to allow the Sabres to play some games there during the winter (e.g., against Toronto to fill the place up).  

• Like (+1) 1

Downtown never made any sense in the first place. Kill prime real estate for 10 weekends a year, kill tailgating etc.

Traffic would have been a nightmare, and I can’t even imagine the infrastructure issues as well as shutting down swaths of downtown over the course of a couple of years for construction.

The way this shook out is totally my personal preference, open air in OP. Love it.

• Like (+1) 5

Simple: Build the new stadium in the parking lot. Tear down the current one when it’s done. There are lots of ways to accommodate the parking inconvenience in the two seasons it’ll take to get it done. You don’t have to move everything to Pennsylvania. 

• Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sometimes it’s OK to spend money on things people enjoy. 

The obvious place they will build it is the main parking lot right next to field house and sports performance center.

A new stadium is likely to have a much larger footprint than the present one. I expect they will add some property to the current layout.  As presently configured, the space is too small, unless they raze the existing and build over top of it. As it is, the present stadium is butting up against property lines. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1