EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Pegulas are not great owners. They extended Whaley, fired Whaley the next year, hired Rex, literally every move with the Sabres. 

I view McBeane as a broken clock being right twice a day. 

Not sure what them being "great" owners means.  They are the owners, can do what they want with both teams.  But moving a team makes almost no sense with the cash cow that they have in WNY.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It would be taxpayer money from the whole state, not just Erie County. Our tax dollars have gone to NYC infrastructure. NYC taxpayers will be okay if some of their tax dollars go to a new stadium in Orchard Park. Ideally by building a big new stadium you'll invite more events to Buffalo which in turn will bring business to Buffalo. It isn't a project that exclusively benefits the Pegulas. Infrastructure spending has trickle down benefits. I bet once the official deal is in place the average NYS taxpayer will barely notice a difference.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but if it isn't, it ought to be

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The story has gone national.

The press has seized on the term the "Austin Bills".

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-austin-bills-texas-city-190123663.html

another one:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/austin-emerges-as-possible-relocation-spot-for-bills-amid-new-orchard-park-stadium-negotiations-per-report/

13 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Can someone explain please, how moving the Bills prohibits the Pegulas from keeping the Sabres in Buffalo?

Because it would be a conflict of interest. Same reason why Jacobs who wanted to buy the Bills but couldn’t because he owns the Boston Bruins. Terry would be forced to sell the Sabres and that’s not happening

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This is so wrong.

Yeah, I get reasoning that this is only the first step of a negotiation process.  But, why?  Such an extreme stance does not have to be the first step.

I find it insulting and disingenuous to Bills fans and all of the taxpayers that would have to foot the bill.

I don't even live there and it's pissing me off.

Hey Terry!  F - you!

• Like (+1) 3

GTHO. The Bills are Buffalo and Buffalo is the Bills. Denying the city of that team would be a travesty beyond explanation. Edit: Is this the influence of Tesla and SpaceX moving to that region?

Edited by MiltonWaddams

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Buffalo isn’t going anywhere, just some writers trying to get clicks and they are from you guys because you keep clicking on these stupid articles that aren’t based off any facts. 

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am not against public spending on sports. I just look at it the same as stuff like the Albright Knox or the Philharmonic. They provided value but cost money. But if the Albright Knox was clearing $70M per year after expenses. (That is what GB cleared circa 2019) and told the city, county, and state, that unless they gave them an additional $1.5B (pandemic or not), they would pack up and go. We’d line the streets and wave them good bye and laughing as they jumped on the 90.

You can’t put a multi-gajillion sports industry in the same category as not-for-profit arts and culture which exist purely to enrich the community. Furthermore, these cultural institutions receive VERY LITTLE public money in America and survive primarily on private donations.

a sports stadium should get $0 in public funding. That said, I completely understand why the Pegulas are asking for it. It happens all over the place, and if governments have given out such money before, why wouldn’t they ask for it? On principal however, it’s totally absurd to see tax payers financially supporting people making millions and billions individually.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm just not a big fan of the Pegulas as owners. It seems like they are sucking the fun out of being a sports fan for me in Buffalo.  Sure, they are a big reason the team was kept here but:

-To me the mess the Sabres are in is on them.  I think we are looking at at least 2 more years without the playoffs for the Sabres (at least). That will have them as owners of the team for a full 12 years, and 12 straight years of no playoffs (they made it the tail end of the season they bought the Sabres.)  Before Kim and Terry? The team never went more than THREE years in a row without making the playoffs.

-The Bills.  You just DON'T make that kind of threat, or even bring it up casually, in a way where it can go public (leak or not) in the opening rounds of stadium Negotiations.  It might not matter to them, but this city is starving for something good in sports.  The bills were bad for SO LONG, and we are coming off the pandemic so with the exception of a very small number of people, it has been HOW long since there was even a home playoff game?  And with what is going on with you and the Sabres in this town, you just don't let the threat, or even the THOUGHT of moving get out right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CheshireCT said:

You can’t put a multi-gajillion sports industry in the same category as not-for-profit arts and culture which exist purely to enrich the community. Furthermore, these cultural institutions receive VERY LITTLE public money in America and survive primarily on private donations.

a sports stadium should get $0 in public funding. That said, I completely understand why the Pegulas are asking for it. It happens all over the place, and if governments have given out such money before, why wouldn’t they ask for it? On principal however, it’s totally absurd to see tax payers financially supporting people making millions and billions individually.

I get your sentiment, but have you looked at what your tax dollars go to?

A football stadium for a team people care about would probably rank in the top ten of positive things taxpayers help fund.  

I just can’t work up the moral outrage over this.  I’d rather the devil I know (PGSE) get rich off my tax dollars than the devil I don’t…. Or should I say “along with the devil I don’t”.  

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm just not a big fan of the Pegulas as owners. It seems like they are sucking the fun out of being a sports fan for me in Buffalo.  Sure, they are a big reason the team was kept here but:

-To me the mess the Sabres are in is on them.  I think we are looking at at least 2 more years without the playoffs for the Sabres (at least). That will have them as owners of the team for a full 12 years, and 12 straight years of no playoffs (they made it the tail end of the season they bought the Sabres.)  Before Kim and Terry? The team never went more than THREE years in a row without making the playoffs.

-The Bills.  You just DON'T make that kind of threat, or even bring it up casually, in a way where it can go public (leak or not) in the opening rounds of stadium Negotiations.  It might not matter to them, but this city is starving for something good in sports.  The bills were bad for SO LONG, and we are coming off the pandemic so with the exception of a very small number of people, it has been HOW long since there was even a home playoff game?  And with what is going on with you and the Sabres in this town, you just don't let the threat, or even the THOUGHT of moving get out right now.

First off we don’t know how much of that report is true. There were no quotes from either Pegula or any of his representatives, second they’re not Moving to Austin. That’s Dallas Cowboy country and Jerry won’t have any of it. Thirdly Pegula would have to

give up the Sabres, something he’s not doing and last this would be a PR nightmare for Terry and his family. There’s a video of him crying saying the reason he bought the Bills was to Keep them in Buffalo. Please moderator end this fake news bull#### of a thread 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

First off we don’t know how much of that report is true. There were no quotes from either Pegula or any of his representatives, second they’re not Moving to Austin. That’s Dallas Cowboy country and Jerry won’t have any of it. Thirdly Pegula would have to

give up the Sabres, something he’s not doing and last this would be a PR nightmare for Terry and his family. There’s a video of him crying saying the reason he bought the Bills was to Keep them in Buffalo. Please moderator end this fake news bull#### of a thread 

We all know them moving the team likely isn’t happening, but you can’t ask mods to end a thread when this is out there… it’s been trending on Twitter and major outlets have picked it up.  

PGSE and/or the Buffalo Bills are more than welcome to rebuff/clarify this story at any point. 

They are in a tricky spot because their only leverage is to threaten to move the team, but until we hear they aren’t, this is now an issue.   It doesn’t matter if that’s just how these negotiations go…

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I'm not saying anything you bring up is false, but the fact this news is out there is already a PR disaster for the Bills.  You don't bring up relocating the team as a possibility in any way if it can even have a slight chance of going public this early in negotiations.....in light of all that is going on with the Sabres and the Bills just turning the corner after a couple of bad decades.