EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Weather like wind, heavy downpour, snow, even high heat - typically helps to level out the talent gap so to speak. It almost never helps the better team. The better team is at an advantage in optimal conditions especially when it comes to team speed. 

Yeah. And if the stadium is ready in 2026 we're talking 10 years of Josh Allen in a dome. Allen loves nice weather. Weather affects Allen's game a lot. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah. And if the stadium is ready in 2026 we're talking 10 years of Josh Allen in a dome. Allen loves nice weather. Weather affects Allen's game a lot. 

It’s not going to be a dome.  Open air in OP on the ECC South footprint is where this is headed.  

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You disagree with each point, good for you.

Did you bother read to the end of my comment on Allens arm (sarcasm).

And yes, the malls were never going to  be empty either.

We shall see how stadiums evolve, if you can only see the present that is up to you.  Things evolve and change, some people can foresee a different future, others cant.

I just don't see the future unfolding the way you think it will, Roy.

I heard Schopp and Bulldog on the radio yesterday basically saying "who knows if there will even be football in 20 years,  what about fixing the schools?".

I think the long term viability of brick and mortar schools is AT LEAST in as much question as whether people will still be attending sporting events.     

The process of sport and stadium has a multi-thousand year head start over herd public educating.   You should remember that when you think people are just going to stop going to games.    Communitas.   That's why this site exists for chrissakes..........I would hope you've figured out why you come here by now.

8 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It can be viewed that way, but at what point do folks let it go and go to the games anyway?  

Folks will go to the games either way. I've always told the "I'll stop going if it's downtown/domed/no tailgating" crowd that the NFL wont miss them if they stop going, and plenty of other fans will take their places. Works both ways. Although, those of us who think the stadium should/will go downtown usually arent threatening a boycott if it doesn't. Everyone is already used to it this way. Win-win for me really.

I just see a downtown, multi-purpose development as a step forward for the city. But if they want to keep the football team in the 1950s, then so be it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills are the only team playing there and the seats inside are going to be colorful with the blue and red etc.. so no reason for the outside to clash with the interior.........makes the stadium look retro-fitted rather than built to purpose.

I'm not even sure I would call that an "industrial" look.........it kinda' looks like a mall.

Also not sure that Buffalo is really a "blue collar" city anymore.    Some Bills fans may want Buffalo to be perceived that way........(especially those with white collars :devil:)........ but that's not really how it's been trending for a long time now.    

Didn't say the rendering was industrial. My point still stands that industrial is a good match with the city's roots, even if the share of blue collar jobs has declined.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's a mistake. 

Call you state representatives because that is where this is headed.  Or maybe you can fund the difference between OP and downtown.   But trust me when I say it’s going to OP. 

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Call you state representatives because that is where this is headed.  Or maybe you can fund the difference between OP and downtown.   But trust me when I say it’s going to OP. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume there is a rather large gap not only in cost but in time to complete the stadium between these two locations. People don’t want to put any tax dollars toward it but want it downtown. Not sure that’s feasible given the additional hurdles that would need overcome - infrastructure, city politics, etc to put it downtown.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed, but domes/enclosed facilities have come a long way since the Superdome was built.  Indy, Minnesota, Atlanta have amazing enclosed stadiums.

You think? I was at that Brian Brohm game in Atlanta in 2009, and I thought the translucent roof made the lighting weird. Felt like the stadium was lit by fluorescent tubes. 

10 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

You think? I was at that Brian Brohm game in Atlanta in 2009, and I thought the translucent roof made the lighting weird. Felt like the stadium was lit by fluorescent tubes. 

That was the old Georgia Dome. They’ve got a new crib now. 

Oh, and I’m sorry you had to watch the Brohm debacle live. I could at least turn off the TV. 

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t think it’s stock, either.  But the stadium is not going in at the Perry projects (which is the setting of the rendering).  It’s going in OP.  Book it. 

OP is by far the lowest cost alternative considering all the infrastructure is already in place there. So the question then is if they save money on the site will they invest it in the stadium itself. It’s a catch 22. There’s no compelling reason to build a multifunction dome stadium out in suburban OP. I think that’s why there’s so much back and forth debate in this thread 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume there is a rather large gap not only in cost but in time to complete the stadium between these two locations. People don’t want to put any tax dollars toward it but want it downtown. Not sure that’s feasible given the additional hurdles that would need overcome - infrastructure, city politics, etc to put it downtown.

Infrastructure and land acquisition are prohibitive downtown.  Minimal land acquisition/infrastructure costs in OP. 

All signs point to OP.  Skyway is staying up.  News leak.  CE didn’t say no negotiations or no deal.  Now add in the Walton thing.  Bills employee on this site has gone dark.  All of that was anecdotal.  But birdies chirp.  

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

OP is by far the lowest cost alternative considering all the infrastructure is already in place there. So the question then is if they save money on the site will they invest it in the stadium itself. It’s a catch 22. There’s no compelling reason to build a multifunction dome stadium out in suburban OP. I think that’s why there’s so much back and forth debate in this thread 

Open air in OP.  No dome.  Too expensive. 

On 6/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, red hots said:

This rendering was found online a few weeks ago and subsequently taken down, seemingly it was not meant to be out to the public yet. However on the same site there was also a rendering of a renovated "New Era Field" which was also removed, so no idea how old this is, or if its a genuine plan or merely a rendering of one of many ideas.  Populous the stadium architects are behind it I believe.

M5tq1py.jpg

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that. It's not often a city or anywhere has a chance to reshape an area as dramatically as this project would. It would be such a big win for the city.

But I do see an issue here. I'm afraid for the people on the concrete party deck.

Looks like they would be blown off that area by the wind lol!

And is that one remaining project building in the bottom left corner? Like a monument to the Perry St projects land area or something? Weird look with party pits or something on the approach to the stadium also but this was just a rendering anyway. However, I would take this set up all day everyday. Thanks again for the find.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Except when there is so much snow that you cannot get to game and need to go to Detroit to play.

Uh ya. Some may have forgotten that lol

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Folks will go to the games either way. I've always told the "I'll stop going if it's downtown/domed/no tailgating" crowd that the NFL wont miss them if they stop going, and plenty of other fans will take their places. Works both ways. Although, those of us who think the stadium should/will go downtown usually arent threatening a boycott if it doesn't. Everyone is already used to it this way. Win-win for me really.

I just see a downtown, multi-purpose development as a step forward for the city. But if they want to keep the football team in the 1950s, then so be it.

I agree with you regarding the location.  I prefer downtown, open air.   I get why some want a covered facility but I think the narrative of varied use doesn’t hold up.   I think they’re better off building a venue that is what it is: a place for and about football.  Spend the money on infrastructure changes around the stadium and throughout the area: roads, rail, public transportation.  Those things will transform the city more than a roof on the stadium.

And if it’s in OP, I’m good with that.  And out there, a roof makes even less sense to me.  Either way a new joint Is coming no matter what we think about location, architecture or billionaires, taxes, government and citizens.  In that context, I want to enjoy the ride.

• Agree 1

Open air didn't slow down Josh Allen and the record setting passing game last season, so I don't think it will going forward.

The K-Gun did fine too. The whole weather thing is totally overblown. Football is meant to be played in the elements. 

I also think that modern NFL players are less affected by it. Back in the day you used to see the Dolphins huddled in their coats shivering, almost putting on a show about how cold they were. You don't see that as much now. From time to time there's a particular player it seems to affect (Kirk Cousins, for example) but it's not the same as it was. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

8/11 of the NFL MVP's since 2010 are QBs who played in cold climate cities:

2010 Tom Brady 

2011 Aaron Rodgers

2012 Adrian Peterson

2013 Peyton Manning (with Denver this year, best year of his career) 

2014 Aaron Rodgers 

2015 Cam Newton

2016 Matt Ryan

2017 Tom Brady 

2018 Patrick Mahomes (it gets pretty cold in Arrowhead in January)

2019 Lamar Jackson

2020 Aaron Rodgers 

The effect of winter weather is overstated. Weather adds to the atmosphere of the game. Imagine Lambeau field with an ugly, soulless dome..

• Like (+1) 2