EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know they sold 716 to Southern Tier Brewing 

That's basically because 716 was closed during the whole covid and they were bleeding money

He's a businessman and his oil has been hurting.. got a good offer he couldn't refuse 

And I think he still owns the building.. he just rents it out to them

Edited by Buffalo716

I would definitely go dome which will put the cost of the stadium at 2-3 billion.

Retractable roof will be too expensive.

Also PSL's will not be enough to cover the cost as you will only get 200m-300m from them.

Most of the cost will come from tax hikes to the citizens of Buffalo. Keep in mind that people have to vote yes to tax hikes and many will not.

I have followed closely the funding of the Chargers and Falcons stadiums.

In both cases, tax hikes were voted down and the owners threatened to move the team.

In Chargers case the team was moved because of repeated no votes to tax hikes. The City of Atlanta and the county eventually voted for tax hikes but only to the rental car and hotel and motel tax. This was sold as out of towners paying the tax not the locals. This works because the Atlanta airport is a major international hub with over a 100 million

travelers per year.

If citizens of Buffalo vote down the tax hike watch Pegula threaten to move the team as leverage. 

It's going to get interesting folks.

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Eyeroll 1

716 was poorly run.  Lots of potential but it fell on its face for the most part.  It's rare I ever heard anyone rave about it, or even have anything other than complaints.  I'm very easy to please and they were about 0 for 3 for me.  

It's to the point that we considered Labatt house once and decided not to because it was a pegula operation and probably sub-par.  

Southern Tier will show how to run that kind of thing the right way.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

Just thought of this, with so many people wanting a dome/roof, it wouldn't be that difficult for an engineering firm to add extra structure to the new stadium, in case a dome/roof is added years down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

716 was poorly run.  Lots of potential but it fell on its face for the most part.  It's rare I ever heard anyone rave about it, or even have anything other than complaints.  I'm very easy to please and they were about 0 for 3 for me.  

It's to the point that we considered Labatt house once and decided not to because it was a pegula operation and probably sub-par.  

Southern Tier will show how to run that kind of thing the right way.  

Both 716 and Labatt House were/are run by Delaware North.  That's why the both suck(ed).

On 6/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

Not necessarily true. Petco Park in SD helped the surrounding area tremendously. They had a great plan for integrating the stadium with the community. I recommend for anyone to read that plan who has an interest in sports business or development 

ty yes done right it helps.

MLB and NFL totally diff though. Baseball aprox over 82 dates. NFL approx 10 or 12.

And for all the naysayers who say it does not pay out economically, forget that that is old think when public money paid for all or most of all new stadium costs. Not anymore. Vast majority of new stadiums are now private financed. MetLife in NJ 100% private finance. SOFI in LA also.

And that money pit that Jerry built....lol...not so fast....it all worked out.....https://www.hksinc.com/our-news/articles/ten-years-later-att-stadium-remains-golden-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

Edited by cba fan

The #1 thing is to design the stadium to be a loud echo chamber like they did in Seattle. Our main advantage IS NOT our weather. IT IS OUR CROWD!!  One requirement needs be to get our acoustics to a huge decibel level!! 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

The #1 thing is to design the stadium to be a loud echo chamber like they did in Seattle. Our main advantage IS NOT our weather. IT IS OUR CROWD!!  One requirement needs be to get our acoustics to a huge decibel level!! 

That's exactly why I want a version of their stadium in Orchard Park next.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get the point of an open-air stadium in the current location.  I've been to a number of other NFL stadiums, ours is comparable.  Replacing it with another open air stadium in the same location does nothing, IMO.  Build a dome that only seats 55-65K.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I would definitely go dome which will put the cost of the stadium at 2-3 billion.

Retractable roof will be too expensive.

Also PSL's will not be enough to cover the cost as you will only get 200m-300m from them.

Most of the cost will come from tax hikes to the citizens of Buffalo. Keep in mind that people have to vote yes to tax hikes and many will not.

I have followed closely the funding of the Chargers and Falcons stadiums.

In both cases, tax hikes were voted down and the owners threatened to move the team.

In Chargers case the team was moved because of repeated no votes to tax hikes. The City of Atlanta and the county eventually voted for tax hikes but only to the rental car and hotel and motel tax. This was sold as out of towners paying the tax not the locals. This works because the Atlanta airport is a major international hub with over a 100 million

travelers per year.

If citizens of Buffalo vote down the tax hike watch Pegula threaten to move the team as leverage. 

It's going to get interesting folks.

I understand up to 2% of your WNY current sales taxes funds NYC subways so maybe 1% could come back to fund a stadium? Let NYC create a tourism tax to cover the shortfall.  Jake, This may be less taxpayer money than you think. It could be as low as 15-25% of the total cost. Actually keeping it in OP keeps costs down because you already have a ready footprint there and the practice fields, Adpro, and some of the parking can all stay intact. Some of the cost will come from deferred state revenue like slices of future stadium property taxation, rent, parking / ticket %, etc. It’s not just as simple as a taxpayer increase.  Pegula is the 8th richest owner in the league. He is working with Jerry’s firm. He’s another energy guy who can easily partner with him and help him gain some private funding or even help pressure the league and state to do more. They said they were studying the Steelers model where they didn’t have PSLs, so they aren’t going to treat Buffalo like a big city market when it comes to pricing. It’s will be over 50 years with this stadium, just enjoy its very overdue replacement! 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't get the point of an open-air stadium in the current location.  I've been to a number of other NFL stadiums, ours is comparable.  Replacing it with another open air stadium in the same location does nothing, IMO.  Build a dome that only seats 55-65K.  

Just now, nucci said:

55k seats? that's a bit low. Lose a lot of revenue with so few seats plus a lot fans would not be able to attend. There is no longer a blackout rules so fewer seats makes so sense......or dollars

Edited by nucci

10 hours ago, Preds said:

Both 716 and Labatt House were/are run by Delaware North.  That's why the both suck(ed).

really?  I didn’t know that.  I enjoyed both when I went in 2018 and 2019 respectively. (Only had drinks at the latter, though)

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Just thought of this, with so many people wanting a dome/roof, it wouldn't be that difficult for an engineering firm to add extra structure to the new stadium, in case a dome/roof is added years down the road. 

The answer is yes, it’s quite possible. A few things to keep in mind though: 

First, for the stadium to be ‘easily’ retrofitted with a dome it means the upper deck will completely encircle the lower deck. One of the best things about Rich Stadium is the open end zones and the large sideline stands. You’ll lose that during the years  you’ll be waiting for the dome.

Second, other than Miami where they came back and added the roof, it’s hardly ever done. The stadium you’ll be covering will no longer be new (it’ll be tens years old at a minimum) and many will scream at the additional investment. The roof’s best done when the original construction ‘iron is hot’.

Finally, building codes change regularly so it’s rare that the previously installed foundations can actually be used. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Well I'm no architect but I have to imagine a lot hinges on the stadium footprint.

One of the big reasons the original Rich Stadium only cost $23MM to build in 1973 was most of the stadium was built in the ground. The result was a wide bowl. Great for fan views but not good if you want to put a roof on.

If they did want to put a roof on later they would have to limit the footprint. It would have to be a taller, narrower structure with stacked decks, like Foxboro, which was built totally above ground. 

One of the big drivers of building in OP again could be, again, the cost of a stadium partially built into the ground. If they replicate that Rich Stadium template, they'll save money upfront but will make it that much more difficult to cover it later.

Edited by PromoTheRobot