EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

Amazing how many don’t seem to get this. Threatening to do something is not the same as doing something. 

True. But in this case a "threat" has yet to be made. A foreshadow to a possible thread? Maybe

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's going to be in OP.  I'd be big money on it.

Quick, someone get @Dunkirk Don take on this. What's going to happen to all that land in Batavia?

27 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Amazing how many don’t seem to get this. Threatening to do something is not the same as doing something. 

Naw, it's still a weird move. It should be all smiles and handshakes at the start. If you even float a threat like this right off the bat it sends a bad message.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Quick, someone get @Dunkirk Don take on this. What's going to happen to all that land in Batavia?

Naw, it's still a weird move. It should be all smiles and handshakes at the start. If you even float a threat like this right off the bat it sends a bad message.

It's not weird. If the Bills are eyeing ECC south campus as part of the new stadium location,  it's reminder to Erie County about lost tax revenue if they balk at donating the property. I think the team plays in the current stadium until the new house is finished if the ECC location is the spot. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO the NFL will continue to push it's season deeper toward the end of February as they eventually go to an 18 game regular season schedule and likely add another bye week or two in the future to appease wear-and-tear concerns.   February is a black hole for meaningful sports broadcasts......it should, can and will happen.   Which means the Bills could conceivably be playing multiple regular season games in January and possibly home playoff games in February going forward.    Not good if the team is winning.........imagine 4-5 games after Thanksgiving if they are not.

💯. I was really surprised the player’s union didn’t push for a second bye week this season. Guaranteed they will once the effects of the 17 games are seen.

The league seems to be scared to extend the season into Feb. I mean… WHY? Only reason is to give players those few weeks more of an offseason, which is a consideration seeing as they’re away from their families so much during the season. And perhaps a chance to have & recover from those off-season surgeries. But it’s all going this way for 18 games (+2 preseason) & 2 byes. Not including this in the planning for the new stadium, read: having at least a retractable roof, is stupid.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, SirAndrew said:

I’m not sure why people think OP has some stellar infrastructure. It’s a bunch of two lane roads that lead to expressways. Most NFL stadiums are located next to multiple expressway paths. I’ve never had as much of an issue leaving a Sabres game, as I do Bills games or Darien Lake concerts out in the cow pasture. 

I think Foxboro is the closest in the league to OP

Washington, baltimore, Philadelphia, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis are right off interstates and have public transportation 

KC, Dallas, Phoenix , LA , vegas, San Jose, Houston  are just off interstates . Non much public transportation.

Piitsburg, cincinati, nashville, Indianapolis, new Orleans  have downtown stadiums

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

What about ECC South? I'm not being funny about this - you're the architect, so you know better than anyone.  But I eyeballed it, and lots 3 and 4, together with the campus, look plenty big to me.  Only have to buy maybe four or five parcels on the west side of Abbott to make it work if they want all land abutting Abbott from 20A to 20.  

I'll add that, politically, ECC South makes sense.  It's an excuse for the county to consolidate the ECC campuses, they get to contribute to the stadium for what amounts to an in-kind contribution, and it allows the county/state to avoid massive infrastructure headaches and charges that would come with a downtown stadium.  Would also explain the shift in the last week on the Skyway and the Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses (716 and, apparently, Labatt House). 

EDIT:  They may have to get their hands on "La Galleria" and the Texas hots place and O'Neill's, too. So be it.  Minimal land acquisition costs, nevertheless. 

Can you elaborate on the "Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses"?  Not familiar with what you are referring to.

3 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Can you elaborate on the "Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses"?  Not familiar with what you are referring to.

They no longer manage 716 or the John Labatt House.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

From Google Earth:

The only acreage large enough to fit the footprint of the new stadium along with the necessary construction space around it would be directly north of the current stadium, at the SE corner of Abbott and 20 (Southwestern). That would obviously move it further away from the offices, field house etc, and would put all of the parking on one side of the new stadium but it’s about the only option unless you’re going to start buying up homes.

Can't they build the new one in the parking lot right next to the current one, then tear down the old one for parking?

Im hoping somehow this isn’t the final plan.  Not building a dome is a big mistake.  Let’s see how many fans actually attend the two regular season games in January.  Even if the seats are sold, all concession revenues get flushed down the drain when people stay home if the weather is crappy. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

What about ECC South? I'm not being funny about this - you're the architect, so you know better than anyone.  But I eyeballed it, and lots 3 and 4, together with the campus, look plenty big to me.  Only have to buy maybe four or five parcels on the west side of Abbott to make it work if they want all land abutting Abbott from 20A to 20.  

I'll add that, politically, ECC South makes sense.  It's an excuse for the county to consolidate the ECC campuses, they get to contribute to the stadium for what amounts to an in-kind contribution, and it allows the county/state to avoid massive infrastructure headaches and charges that would come with a downtown stadium.  Would also explain the shift in the last week on the Skyway and the Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses (716 and, apparently, Labatt House). 

EDIT:  They may have to get their hands on "La Galleria" and the Texas hots place and O'Neill's, too. So be it.  Minimal land acquisition costs, nevertheless. 

Section 

ECC is definitely large enough but presents similar challenges regarding distance from the Team Offices and is across Abbott Road so a pedestrian bridge would be required...which is chump change compared to the stadium itself. It’s far easier to put the additional interim parking there for the two seasons of construction.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

They're going to build a 50 person stadium in Hammer's Lot.  The field will be where we park and there won't be seats - you just stand on knoll (the Pinto will now be a permeant part of the stadium).  I have it on good accord...

I'm a big fan of US Bank Stadium - it's an indoor stadium that feels like you're outdoors when you're there.  Course it would look like a spaceship landed in OP 🤣

2 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

It's not weird. If the Bills are eyeing ECC south campus as part of the new stadium location,  it's reminder to Erie County about lost tax revenue if they balk at donating the property. I think the team plays in the current stadium until the new house is finished if the ECC location is the spot. 

Would that mean the bus lot, lot 3 and lot 4, become part of the construction/stadium land?  

I'm not sure there's enough room on the west side of Abbott Road for the new stadium.  See what you think.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/100+Centre+Dr,+Orchard+Park,+NY+14127/@42.7739672,-78.7948473,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89d305815466a99f:0xf0b562b249eaa7f5!2sHighmark+Stadium!8m2!3d42.7737546!4d-78.7869723!3m4!1s0x89d3058b48ee1345:0x4419697e896b431e!8m2!3d42.773213!4d-78.7708262

Abbott Road could be shifted, temporarily or permanently, to the east, to make a larger area for a new stadium on the west side of the road.  But that would cut right through a lot of the current parking area.  It might be necessary to put the new on right where the current one is.

I haven't read all the posts up to this point, but has anyone even questioned why they're talking about replacing the existing stadium with one that basically is the same as the old one?  The league loves to put in fancy executive suites that make the home teams a lot of money.  Well, who in Buffalo is going to buy those suites?

I haven't been in the current stadium in a while so if there's some dire problem that's forcing replacement, then OK, build a new one.  But just to build a new one because the current one is old seems like a waste of money, and a lot of aggravation for a few years until the new one is finished.

10 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'm not sure there's enough room on the west side of Abbott Road for the new stadium.  See what you think.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/100+Centre+Dr,+Orchard+Park,+NY+14127/@42.7739672,-78.7948473,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89d305815466a99f:0xf0b562b249eaa7f5!2sHighmark+Stadium!8m2!3d42.7737546!4d-78.7869723!3m4!1s0x89d3058b48ee1345:0x4419697e896b431e!8m2!3d42.773213!4d-78.7708262

Abbott Road could be shifted, temporarily or permanently, to the east, to make a larger area for a new stadium on the west side of the road.  But that would cut right through a lot of the current parking area.  It might be necessary to put the new on right where the current one is.

I haven't read all the posts up to this point, but has anyone even questioned why they're talking about replacing the existing stadium with one that basically is the same as the old one?  The league loves to put in fancy executive suites that make the home teams a lot of money.  Well, who in Buffalo is going to buy those suites?

I haven't been in the current stadium in a while so if there's some dire problem that's forcing replacement, then OK, build a new one.  But just to build a new one because the current one is old seems like a waste of money, and a lot of aggravation for a few years until the new one is finished.

Utah, I’ve also said the same over the years but the time has come. The concrete at Rich Stadium is on its last legs. It’s already older than the  Rockpile was when it was demolished...believe it or not. And just because the new one will be on the same site doesn’t mean it’ll be the same stadium. I’m pretty sure your latest car still has four tires and a steering wheel..but I’m also pretty sure it’s a lot different from a car you would have bought in 1973. 😉

Edited by SoCal Deek

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Section 

ECC is definitely large enough but presents similar challenges regarding distance from the Team Offices and is across Abbott Road so a pedestrian bridge would be required...which is chump change compared to the stadium itself. It’s far easier to put the additional interim parking there for the two seasons of construction.

I thought about what you're getting at - southeast corner of Abbott and Southwestern.  They'd probably have to get their hands on the parcel that holds the Prohibition Bar - a relatively small establishment that, as far as I can tell, never has any traffic. So that might work.  

No matter where the stadium goes, I suspect that ECC South is toast.  Putting additional parking in there makes sense, if for no other reason than to wring every last dime out of the stadium and capture all of the parking dollars that now go to satellite lots.  And I suspect the County will be happy to offer that land as a significant part of its contribution to the stadium effort, not only to reduce the cash outlay required but also to close the campus and consolidate all three ECC campuses downtown. 

22 minutes ago, driddles said:

Would that mean the bus lot, lot 3 and lot 4, become part of the construction/stadium land?  

If it's on that side of Abbott Road, then probably yes.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh there will definitely be a thread. Multiple 

🤣 You got that right.

I  can't even blame autocorrect for that mistake.  Just poor typing, I'm guessing

25 minutes ago, driddles said:

The costs of environmental remediation of the soil after 40 years of alcohol, lighter fluid, and urine dumped onto the property will be astronomical.

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Utah, I’ve also said the same over the years but the time has come. The concrete at Rich Stadium is on its last legs. It’s already older than the  Rockpile was when it was demolished...believe it or not. And just because the new one will be on the same site doesn’t mean it’ll be the same stadium. I’m pretty sure your latest car still has four tires and a steering wheel..but I’m also pretty sure it’s a lot different from a car you would have bought in 1973. 😉

Thanks.  That makes sense.