EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

If the overhang us similar to the ones in seattle, won't the crowd noise get deflected .back towards the field and increase our home field advantage?  Combine that with still having snow, wind, taib, etc and visiting teams are going to hate playing here.  I can't wait.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Which is still in the same state.

They are saying College Station PA or Toronto(which would really go over well)

Toronto doesn't even have a football stadium...Rogers Center was modified for baseball only giving the Argos the boot to the MLS soccer field(BMO Field) that seats about 30,000

How about All High stadium then?  :) Minor growing pains on the way to a shiny new stadium!  I bet they find a way to play through in the old one.  

From Google Earth:

The only acreage large enough to fit the footprint of the new stadium along with the necessary construction space around it would be directly north of the current stadium, at the SE corner of Abbott and 20 (Southwestern). That would obviously move it further away from the offices, field house etc, and would put all of the parking on one side of the new stadium but it’s about the only option unless you’re going to start buying up homes.

Edited by SoCal Deek

21 hours ago, without a drought said:

Why is this actually necessary.  They already have an outdoor stadium that is used for about 100 hours a year. I'm not expecting any public funding to go smoothly.

It’s not necessary at all. European soccer clubs who don’t play in the wealthiest markets use the same stadiums for decades. It’s all about the NFL wanting increased revenue that comes with a new stadium. The Pegula’s don’t seem to have a choice. I realize the NFL isn’t too concerned with the average fan, but I question what an open air stadium in OP has to offer that differs from the current venue ? I’m sure there will be plenty of upgrades, but how does this affect the guy sitting in the typical stadium seat ? The only difference I see is increased ticket prices. A dome could be marketed as a guaranteed comfortable game day experience, a downtown venue can be marketed as increased tax revenue and boost to local business. I don’t see enough to be enthusiastic about an open air venue in OP. 

Domed stadium downtown please. I was never a fan of downtown location, but with recent canalside events I could see that being a whole different experience down there. And the domed stadium would become a venue for many more events. Think trade shows, concerts, heck Buffalo would even be in the running to host a Super Bowl someday.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Syracuse gets crushed with snow. They have a dome. Maintenance would obviously cost more than an open air stadium. It's likely all about money. That's understandable. We just have to remember this is going to be a 40-50 year stadium. So let's do it right.

Great point about the snowfall in Syracuse and the Carrier Dome, which is a 40-year old structure and still standing.  There have obviously been many design advances since then.

• Agree 1

Haven’t weighed in on this topic yet…I was one of those hoping for a cool downtown venue but I’m not “disappointed” in keeping the stadium in OP.  Excited to see the plans, as it does seem a bit odd a retractable roof of some sort is apparently not in the works.

• Like (+1) 1

I think a new stadium is due.  I'm fine with it being in OP and I generally would prefer a dome over an open air stadium, especially one with those stupid canopies.  I get the appeal of the elements but if there's even a chance that the sometimes VERY bad WNY weather could have a serious impact on the game then I say go with a dome.  Imagine if a playoff game ends up having weather like the Colts blizzard game...that would suck (in my opinion).  A retractable roof would be cool but also a waste of money considering how many times the roof would actually be open.

One thing that I want to address is the cost of the stadium and how it would be paid for.  It's unlikely but I really hope that Erie county and NYS don't don't write blank checks for the stadium regardless of the cost.

The new TV deal works out to 300+ million per team per year and the Pegulas can pretty much count on fans filling the stadium because that's what Bills fans do so they won't exactly be strapped for cash.  Additionally, NYS is going to be strapped for cash post-COVID, so even without the cost of a new stadium, there would likely be cuts, increased taxes or more likely a combination of the two.  A new stadium would definitely get public funding and tax subsidies but if this will end up substantially costing the community in other areas then I'm honestly against it and I'm sure I'm in the minority there.  WNY always gets the short end of the stick so I'm afraid that any budget cuts will disproportionally affect the area.

TLDR:  If Terry and Kim want a shiny new stadium then that's fine but they need to pay a big chuck of the $$$.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

From Google Earth:

The only acreage large enough to fit the footprint of the new stadium along with the necessary construction space around it would be directly north of the current stadium, at the SE corner of Abbott and 20 (Southwestern). That would obviously move it further away from the offices, field house etc, and would put all of the parking on one side of the new stadium but it’s about the only option unless you’re going to start buying up homes.

What about ECC South? I'm not being funny about this - you're the architect, so you know better than anyone.  But I eyeballed it, and lots 3 and 4, together with the campus, look plenty big to me.  Only have to buy maybe four or five parcels on the west side of Abbott to make it work if they want all land abutting Abbott from 20A to 20.  

I'll add that, politically, ECC South makes sense.  It's an excuse for the county to consolidate the ECC campuses, they get to contribute to the stadium for what amounts to an in-kind contribution, and it allows the county/state to avoid massive infrastructure headaches and charges that would come with a downtown stadium.  Would also explain the shift in the last week on the Skyway and the Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses (716 and, apparently, Labatt House). 

EDIT:  They may have to get their hands on "La Galleria" and the Texas hots place and O'Neill's, too. So be it.  Minimal land acquisition costs, nevertheless. 

Edited by SectionC3

14 hours ago, UConn James said:

I seem to recall in recent years that the Pegs had bought up land surrounding the stadium. I don’t think it was all used for practice fields. 

Maybe it’s just me, but it would’ve been nice if the part about possibly playing elsewhere during construction was broached down the line.

They really couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get in an un-veiled threat to the pols during what should just be celebratory news? Couldn’t just let us bask in a totally positive direction of the franchise for a hot minute?

That's what makes it weird. Maybe that's the Jerruh people talking. They assume the worst in a negotiation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

What about ECC South? I'm not being funny about this - you're the architect, so you know better than anyone.  But I eyeballed it, and lots 3 and 4, together with the campus, look plenty big to me.  Only have to buy maybe four or five parcels on the west side of Abbott to make it work if they want all land abutting Abbott from 20A to 20.  

I'll add that, politically, ECC South makes sense.  It's an excuse for the county to consolidate the ECC campuses, they get to contribute to the stadium for what amounts to an in-kind contribution, and it allows the county/state to avoid massive infrastructure headaches and charges that would come with a downtown stadium.  Would also explain the shift in the last week on the Skyway and the Pegulas' retreat from downtown hospitality businesses (716 and, apparently, Labatt House). 

EDIT:  They may have to get their hands on "La Galleria" and the Texas hots place and O'Neill's, too. So be it.  Minimal land acquisition costs, nevertheless. 

This is what the random Twitter guy said:

I'm in favor of building a dome.    I much prefer being outside since we spend about 8 hours tailgating outside for each game and having to dress down to go in and re-assemble to resume post-game would be a hassle.  

But the reality is that the quality of football play is more consistent and the execution is better in perfect playing conditions indoors.......and we are there to watch teams play good football.

And, of course,  even big fans like @Stank_Nasty have for years skipped late season games because of the weather.   Even when the team was a regular playoff contender in the 90's it was a glaring issue.   The season ticket base will be higher with a dome and ex-pat Bills fans would travel from farther away if they weren't ascared of the uncertain WNY weather like @eball.  

IMO the NFL will continue to push it's season deeper toward the end of February as they eventually go to an 18 game regular season schedule and likely add another bye week or two in the future to appease wear-and-tear concerns.   February is a black hole for meaningful sports broadcasts......it should, can and will happen.   Which means the Bills could conceivably be playing multiple regular season games in January and possibly home playoff games in February going forward.    Not good if the team is winning.........imagine 4-5 games after Thanksgiving if they are not.

• Like (+1) 5

18 hours ago, Doc said:

Talking about playing games away from OP is just a negotiating tactic.  They'll play in the old stadium until the new one is built.

Amazing how many don’t seem to get this. Threatening to do something is not the same as doing something.