EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

32 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Arguments on single player makes no sense for $1.5 Billion investment unless player will be contributing to costs of building it.

But it's not just for a single player.  The league is a passing league now and for the foreseeable future and bad weather disrupts that.  There are also concerns for player and fan comfort which affect player recruitment and fan attendance, and year-round usability.

• Like (+1) 2

Big mistake. You don’t spend a billion dollars on a stadium in Orchard Park with zero public transportation infrastructure. They will never invest in commuter/light rail to OP.

You build the stadium in the city - closer to the fastest growing region in our area - Southern Ontario.

Make downtown Buffalo a true hub with rail from the airport, Toronto and Rochester, etc.

OP is great. Love tailgating but after experiencing games in Seattle, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore - walking to the game - partying along the way - build the stadium into the fabric of the city.

Buffalo can never learn from its mistakes - that’s why it will always be a Mickey Mouse city.

And who is going to pay for it? There is a cash cow right in our back yard - the New York Power Authority. Stop that money from flowing to Albany and NYC and invest right here in Buffalo Niagara.

Poor leadership = poor results 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Not gonna get into an argument about what makes sense. Just going on the record saying this fits my personal preference for a game day. Love the unique experience our tailgate environment provides as opposed to other NFL venues and I love open air games. Just feels right. Pure. 

Went to the game in Lucas Oil a couple years ago. Amazing crisp fall weather during the walk up. Felt like game day outside. Then you walk in and the whole feel just went away. Felt like walking into a shopping mall. The wife and I both hated it. 

Yep. Went to a game there, the opener during Mannings 2nd year. Flutie got Thurman knocked out on a swing pass 1st play of the game. But yeah, that place totally sucks. 

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Big mistake. You don’t spend a billion dollars on a stadium in Orchard Park with zero public transportation infrastructure. They will never invest in commuter/light rail to OP.

You build the stadium in the city - closer to the fastest growing region in our area - Southern Ontario.

Make downtown Buffalo a true hub with rail from the airport, Toronto and Rochester, etc.

OP is great. Love tailgating but after experiencing games in Seattle, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore - walking to the game - partying along the way - build the stadium into the fabric of the city.

Buffalo can never learn from its mistakes - that’s why it will always be a Mickey Mouse city.

And who is going to pay for it? There is a cash cow right in our back yard - the New York Power Authority. Stop that money from flowing to Albany and NYC and invest right here in Buffalo Niagara.

Poor leadership = poor results 

See I think this is outside the scope of what the pegulas are trying to accomplish and without local/state funds and collaboration (we don’t know what has and hasn’t been discussed with government) they really shouldn’t be held accountable for building up the city. They are accountable to the nfl and other owners to have an up to date viable stadium for the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

See I think this is outside the scope of what the pegulas are trying to accomplish and without local/state funds and collaboration (we don’t know what has and hasn’t been discussed with government) they really shouldn’t be held accountable for building up the city. They are accountable to the nfl and other owners to have an up to date viable stadium for the team. 

I hear ya but people who care about a long term viable franchise would maximize its investment by building  closer to its largest robust market - Southern Ontario.

So short sighted..

19 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Not gonna get into an argument about what makes sense. Just going on the record saying this fits my personal preference for a game day. Love the unique experience our tailgate environment provides as opposed to other NFL venues and I love open air games. Just feels right. Pure. 

Went to the game in Lucas Oil a couple years ago. Amazing crisp fall weather during the walk up. Felt like game day outside. Then you walk in and the whole feel just went away. Felt like walking into a shopping mall. The wife and I both hated it. 

Completely agree. I have been to several indoor venues for football games. I never really enjoyed the experience half as much as when attending outdoors. Even in severe weather. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I'd love to know how much overlap there is among the fans who insist the Pegulas should pay for everything and those who insist the stadium be downtown (or in any particular venue the fan prefers). 

Also many fans seem to ignore the Pegulas have data the fans do not.  It's very easy to find fault/disagree with a decision when you have none of the information/data.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Love the idea of covered seats and open field. Any word of development in the area? Hotels? Bills hostal?

This goes back awhile but I remember seeing that if they did build in OP there was a plan for building up the area around the stadium as well - hotels, restaurants, etc 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This goes back awhile but I remember seeing that if they did build in OP there was a plan for building up the area around the stadium as well - hotels, restaurants, etc 

Infrastructure has to be part of any new stadium. I think it's better for the general area to let downtown grow independent of the Bills and develop OP more, so now you have two hubs of commerce instead of one concentrated

Edited by uticaclub

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

But it's not just for a single player.  The league is a passing league now and for the foreseeable future and bad weather disrupts that.  There are also concerns for player and fan comfort which affect player recruitment and fan attendance, and year-round usability.

Which obviously don't apply to other teams which have outdoor stadiums,, right? 

37 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I hear ya but people who care about a long term viable franchise would maximize its investment by building  closer to its largest robust market - Southern Ontario.

So short sighted..

Why does building it closer to southern Ontario make the franchise more viable long term? Fans from that area need to cross the border either way, it’s not much further to get to OP than downtown 

25 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Why is this actually necessary.  They already have an outdoor stadium that is used for about 100 hours a year. I'm not expecting any public funding to go smoothly.

The nfl told them it is necessary. They’ve been telling them that for years, I think since they bought the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I thought they just upgraded that place?  The 50k the place holds would have more fans than Toronto or PSU

They did, but how many season ticket holder would make the drive from Buffalo to Syracuse on game day?  As it is, people here think I'm crazy for having season tickets and making the drive from Syr to Buf. 

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

They did, but how many season ticket holder would make the drive from Buffalo to Syracuse on game day?  As it is, people here think I'm crazy for having season tickets and making the drive from Syr to Buf. 

On the positive side its closer to me, Albany etc. I think they could pack the place.

I’ve felt all along that an open air stadium in Orchard Park is the best possible outcome.

Game days in Orchard Park are unique and awesome. There’s no guarantee that that awesomeness would have carried over to a downtown Buffalo game day experience. The stadiums I’ve been to in city centers haven’t been NEARLY as fun as Bills Stadium.

I also think this plan has the clearest path forward to actually succeeding and being built and not getting bogged down in politics and red tape.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yep. Went to a game there, the opener during Mannings 2nd year. Flutie got Thurman knocked out on a swing pass 1st play of the game. But yeah, that place totally sucks. 

You are mixing up the RCA Dome with Lucas Oil Field. One was a dump, and the other should be a model for what the Bills new stadium should look like. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why does building it closer to southern Ontario make the franchise more viable long term? Fans from that area need to cross the border either way, it’s not much further to get to OP than downtown 

If I were playing sim city, I’d rebuild Buffalo airport at Niagara Falls moves air traffic to lower population density.  consolidate whatever AF or NG is there as well and put an open air stadium at the existing Buffalo airport, then wrap around other sport and entertainment complex around it. Maybe figure out how to convert as much of NFBLVD into highway. Leverage existing rail to NF airport for some mass transit from DT Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1