EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I don’t like any possibility of playing  in Toronto or at Penn State.  

Seems very Pegulish, even ridiculous, to mention Penn State, when all they have to do extend the lease until the new facility is built.  

I guess they would play at BMO Field? Dunno how that would work out with MLS and the CFL. Ugh please don't play the Bills here, Toronto is awful.

Just now, BigAl2526 said:

My guess is my very occasional live attendance at games will become a thing of the past.  Ticket prices will go up, and when they do, I don't think I'll be able to afford them.

Yup.  Outta my league.   Like Bears here.  The average schmo  simply don't go.  They got meat hooks in parking...  100 bucks to park. 🤪

PSLs? Done deal, won't see me at another game.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It's not just the snow tho.  Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, all manage.  It's just the freaking wind.  If they can get a design to mitigate that then fine I'd love to see it.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highmark_Stadium_(New_York)

Buffalo, by virtue of its position downwind of Lake Erie, is one of the nation's windiest cities, and as a result, Highmark Stadium is difficult for kickers, with swirling winds that change direction rapidly. This is exacerbated by the stadium's design. The field is 50 feet (15 m) below ground level, while the top of the upper deck stands only 60 feet (18 m) above ground. The open end lies parallel to the direction of the prevailing winds, so when the winds come in, they immediately drop down into the bowl, causing the stadium's signature wind patterns.

Wind is easy to handle - the stadium was designed to reduce wind but they needed to change orientation of the stadium which resulted in the wind amplification effects.  If stadium was not built into ground, as likely for new stadium, the stadium would be higher and they could increase it with a wind wall as well as texture which absorbed/scattered rather than deflected wind.   Another advantage not building into ground they can build a better field since drainage will be better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The Vikings played at UM stadium I believe recently.   Chargers played in that soccer stadium as well to name some examples. 

Bills don't have a lot of options as other teams do. Toronto actually isn't a bad idea when we know it's temporary. Make it a fun trip north. 

But it's just political pressure. I can't see them playing elsewhere. Erie County would have a lot of angry fans. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills don't have a lot of options as other teams do. Toronto actually isn't a bad idea when we know it's temporary. Make it a fun trip north. 

But it's just political pressure. I can't see them playing elsewhere. Erie County would have a lot of angry fans. 

honestly if it takes a year playing home games in a remote location in order to finally get this new thing built and don’t have to worry about ever hearing about “needing” a new stadium again, I am down. Sign me up

• Agree 1

Given I don’t live in Buffalo and only fly up for one game a year I guess my opinion only has so much weight, but I like the idea.  The infrastructure is developed in OP, there will remain to have lots of tailgating options, and having partial roof will serious cut down on the wind.  I’m guessing it would be similar in nature to Seattle which everyone knows is loud.  I assume they would put large heaters to encourage higher November/December attendance.

I hope it works and is profitable for the Pegulas.  It’s the one way to keep the Bills in Buffalo by increasing profitability.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2-3 years.

Not necessarily. If they really are thinking about leveling the ECC lot to build it there, they can get a season in. It will be 1-2 years though i agree. People are gonna be pissed.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

UB seats about 30k.  Chargers played in front of a similar number.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

It's a passing league now/for the foreseeable future, Dean.  If the time comes (again) when the Bills don't have a franchise QB, the elements won't make much of a difference, again not that they really have anyway.  I think that the Colts game in 2017 and the Ravens playoff game were a lot closer than they should have been because of the elements.  And having a dome allows it to be used for other things all year round.

I've been using the "other things" as a reason for a dome but the more I think about it, what other things would use it? There's not many stadium concert tours in the winter, any special sporting event would most likely go to the arena. I could see maybe a college bowl game(doubt it would draw a full crowd unless two bigger teams somehow missed the established bowls) or like the actual NCAA final four but that would be maybe once every few years if we even got the finals. There's not much that needs a 60,000+ seat building in Buffalo outside of football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Serious question....

why build a new one in orchard park???

1) fans love the current stadium and the tailgating atmosphere it allows; 2) a new stadium will allow the team to generate more revenue.  So to answer your question, to have their cake and eat it too. 

Edited by loedward22