EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

34 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Because the cost of a retractable roof stadium able to handle snow in snowbelt of WNY is very expensive and not cost effective.  Minnesota's collapsed from 17 inches of snow the Orchard Park has gotten more WET snow than that.  

If you are saying keep in open in cold weather when chance of snow you are eliminating advantage.

Minnesota's replacement stadium is a possibility but that roof is not retractable.

The roof of this dome was pretty much a thick tarp. They don't build them like this anymore and haven't for a while. Snow wouldn't be much of an issue. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, pepsicat17 said:

The Bills fan in me is thrilled but it doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense financially for tons of reasons. A multi-use retractable roof stadium would be best for year-long events (as long as the Bills are never allowed to close the roof - best of both worlds IMO).

Perhaps, but what events are we talking about?  I'm just not convinced that the extra cost would be worth it - especially in OP.

38 minutes ago, purple haze said:

What people are those?  It was always, most likely, going to be an outdoor venue with 65-67 thousand seats.  A roof adds a great deal to the cost of a new building.  People in this thread are already upset about potential PSL’s and higher ticket prices.   Those would be higher with a roof.

This x 1,000

58 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Because the cost of a retractable roof stadium able to handle snow in snowbelt of WNY is very expensive and not cost effective.  Minnesota's collapsed from 17 inches of snow the Orchard Park has gotten more WET snow than that.  

If you are saying keep in open in cold weather when chance of snow you are eliminating advantage.

Minnesota's replacement stadium is a possibility but that roof is not retractable.

If that’s the reason it makes sense but I don’t buy the whole “winter elements” as an advantage.  We’ve seen warm weather teams come into Buffalo and play real well.  It’s foolish IMO not to build a roof, if the idea is to protect the elements.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If that’s the reason it makes sense but I don’t buy the whole “winter elements” as an advantage.  We’ve seen warm weather teams come into Buffalo and play real well.  It’s foolish IMO not to build a roof, if the idea is to protect the elements.

That is not what I am saying.  I am saying if the retractable roof is not strong enough to support snow during season and playoffs and needs to be left open to prevent damage then the fans are losing advantage of roof.

I am very aware of the argument that snow is not advantage to Bills players anymore.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If they do something like the old Dallas stadium, cover the fans, but leave the field exposed, I think that would work.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

If they do something like the old Dallas stadium, cover the fans, but leave the field exposed, I think that would work.

A friend of mine, a professional architect who is now deceased, was asked to submit a idea design for a stadium to Bills. 

It was an open roof type stadium with but had a dome style shape with roof designed to help snow fall off top and pile along edges.

Beautiful design wish I could describe better but definitely not type of roof old Dallas stadium had.

He designed the new "Buffalo Wing" at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern.

• Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/18/reports-bills-plan-new-stadium-in-orchard-park/

The Bills are planning a new outdoor stadium in Orchard Park, New York, according to multiple reports.

Thad Brown of WROC reports the new stadium, which will have a partial covering for fans, will take 3-5 years from start to finish. The Bills could open their new facility as early as 2025, but 2026 or 2027 is more likely.

The team still needs government approvals, including funding, which could delay the timetable, per Brown.

The Bills’ current lease at Highmark Stadium expires in 2023. The team could extend the lease with Erie County and New York, but the Bills are prepared to consider other options for home games, including Toronto and Penn State, Brown reports.

The Bills have played at their current stadium since 1973.

Brown reports the team has hired Legends Global Sales to sell sponsorships and premium seats for the new Bills stadium, and Legends Global Planning will serve as an owner’s consultant.

Both companies are co-owned by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Yankee Global Enterprises

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-planning-new-outdoor-stadium-in-orchard-park/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I don’t like any possibility of playing  in Toronto or at Penn State.  

Seems very Pegulish, even ridiculous, to mention Penn State, when all they have to do extend the lease until the new facility is built.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1