What do you expect from our 3rd year players?

Virgil

I actually expect good things from all of these players this year, that is if they want to have a job next year(minus oliver).

I think Oliver will start to be seriously disruptive as I think he will be given less responsibilities and almost solely asked to be in the backfield.

Ford will have to either lock down a guard spot, or play at least consistent enough to be a reliable backup guard.

I think if our OLine can solidify and remain healthy are rushing attack will be much improved and I believe Motor has embraced the pressure and responsibility that comes with being on such a good/competitive team and realizes he has to be focused no matter the situation.  I'm not saying he'll be all world, but he will be a reliable/clutch piece that can be called upon when a play needs to be made ala the Pats backs who were never game breakers but ran tough, were elusive receivers and reliable in pass pro.

And Knox just has to become a weapon that can be relied upon which means no more drops ever, on top of that I'd like to see his ball security improve especially right after the catch when he tries to go beast mode, we have enough talent where guys just need to focus on their jobs, if guys can be reliable game in and game out down after down we will be a rough out, and then that extra yardage beast mode stuff can be turned on after the consistency is in place.

Actually I expect a lot out of our younger players

On 6/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, Virgil said:

Year 3 of any NFL players career is when GM's expect the light switch to turn on and see what kind of Pro they can become.  We saw it in the best possible way with Josh Allen and have some pretty big position players this year as well.  In my opinion, these players are all fighting for their new contracts this year or could see their replacements drafted soon.  With that, what would you need to see from the following players to justify their 5th year option (Oliver only) or a contract extension next off-season.

Ed Oliver (5th year option) - I need to see him deliver on sacks. I'm tired of the pressure ratings and everything else.  If Star and Phillips are both healthy and doing theirs jobs, AND the edge rushers demand attention, Oliver needs to be a difference maker.  I want to see at least 6 sacks and many more pressures.  I want to hear about him commanding double teams.  For a #9 overall pick and the money he would get in that 5th year, I need to see more.  I personally don't think it will happen and his 5th year won't get picked up

Cody Ford - Ford has to take firm ownership of the LG position and stay healthy this year if he wants to get paid.  With how they've drafted and how they played without him, I think he has an uphill battle, but I do believe he can be re-signed fairly cheap, so I could see him staying on with us

Devin Singletary - I think Singletary puts up about 500 yards, but in splitting carries with Moss and Breida, I don't think he'll be able to take command of the group.  Singletary will play out his 4 years and most likely be gone, or stay on a cheap deal.

Dawson Knox - Besides Oliver, Knox is the second most watched player for me this offseason.  All he has to do is show reliable hands on the easy catches and I think he'll earn an extension.  In this offense however, I don't see him commanding enough balls to get the stats that would get him highly paid, nor have other teams fight us for him.  I believe his strong relationship with Josh will help him (unlike it did Smoke), and he does enough to get a new deal.

Thoughts?

I expect Oliver to have a big year. I expect Knox to silence critics and improve and be more of a red zone threat but still have some drops. I expect Ford to fall out of the lineup and get traded. I can’t quite figure out our RB room. Based on last year, Devin should be a backup to Moss. Let’s see if his off-season determination lit a fire under his butt and his game picks up. Personally I don’t think he is very good as a receiver either. 

Oliver- If he plays the three tech, he should improve this year.  If not, we’re looking for a new DT.

Ford - it’s true he was hurt a lot the last couple of years and he should’ve never been placed at RT.  He was in HS and College the majority of the time at LG.  In addition, the multiple line shifts last year makes it hard to evaluate.  All of the excuses aside,’this is his telling year if he shines, we have a G.  If he doesn’t I don’t think they’ll even keep him as a backup.  Three years is long enough.

Knox- I suspect Hollister could overtake him as the #1, and we don’t play a lot of 12 personnel so Knox might not see a

lot of the field.

Singletary- this too is his telling year.  Throughout the year, the easiest way to see if he is here in 22 is by his carries this year.  I’m intrigued with Breida.

All 4 of them have a lot of room for improvement. Then again they've all shown real promise other than Ford, so I'll start there.

Injury has slowed Ford's progress, but he's shown little promise any any case. I wonder at this point if he'll ever be very good. There's still a chancethough. Learning to play on a NFL OL can take a while for some guys.

I loved the Oliver pick when they made it and I'm still hoping he'll be good. I no longer think he'll be great though.

Ditto on Knox and Singletary. Might be good, but not expecting greatness. In fact, I think Singletary and Oliver are above average players already. Other than Allen, I haven't been overly impressed by Beane's 1st and 2nd round picks, but at least guys like Oliver & Edmunds are OK and not complete 1st round busts like too many others we've had. It's a long list.

I wouldn't say any of these players are in "make or break" seasons. However, year three is pivotal for Oliver, Ford, Singletary and Knox. Oliver is the only one who has justified consistent snaps but if he is more than just a solid starter he has to take that next step up. As for the other three all have had significant snaps but neither have cemented a starting role. Ford has Ike and Lamp competing for the LG spot, Singletary has Moss and Breida competing for snaps and Knox has Hollister and possibly a vet acquisition to worry about. 

I expect Oliver to continue to break out, especially with a better D-line this year.

I hope Ford can become a solid NFL guard.

Knox and Singletary are in the same boat for me - two offensive weapons who have had some great plays, as well as some boneheaded ones. If both those guys cut down the mistakes, they'll both be solid contributors on offense.

Dark horse - Jaquan Johnson. He's somehow starting by week 17 and he's going to make one of our stud safeties expendable.