What do you expect from our 3rd year players?

Virgil

Year 3 of any NFL players career is when GM's expect the light switch to turn on and see what kind of Pro they can become.  We saw it in the best possible way with Josh Allen and have some pretty big position players this year as well.  In my opinion, these players are all fighting for their new contracts this year or could see their replacements drafted soon.  With that, what would you need to see from the following players to justify their 5th year option (Oliver only) or a contract extension next off-season.

Ed Oliver (5th year option) - I need to see him deliver on sacks. I'm tired of the pressure ratings and everything else.  If Star and Phillips are both healthy and doing theirs jobs, AND the edge rushers demand attention, Oliver needs to be a difference maker.  I want to see at least 6 sacks and many more pressures.  I want to hear about him commanding double teams.  For a #9 overall pick and the money he would get in that 5th year, I need to see more.  I personally don't think it will happen and his 5th year won't get picked up

Cody Ford - Ford has to take firm ownership of the LG position and stay healthy this year if he wants to get paid.  With how they've drafted and how they played without him, I think he has an uphill battle, but I do believe he can be re-signed fairly cheap, so I could see him staying on with us

Devin Singletary - I think Singletary puts up about 500 yards, but in splitting carries with Moss and Breida, I don't think he'll be able to take command of the group.  Singletary will play out his 4 years and most likely be gone, or stay on a cheap deal.

Dawson Knox - Besides Oliver, Knox is the second most watched player for me this offseason.  All he has to do is show reliable hands on the easy catches and I think he'll earn an extension.  In this offense however, I don't see him commanding enough balls to get the stats that would get him highly paid, nor have other teams fight us for him.  I believe his strong relationship with Josh will help him (unlike it did Smoke), and he does enough to get a new deal.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ed Oliver (5th year option) - I need to see him deliver on sacks. I'm tired of the pressure ratings and everything else.  If Star and Phillips are both healthy and doing theirs jobs, AND the edge rushers demand attention, Oliver needs to be a difference maker.  I want to see at least 6 sacks and many more pressures.  I want to hear about him commanding double teams.  For a #9 overall pick and the money he would get in that 5th year, I need to see more.  I personally don't think it will happen and his 5th year won't get picked up

Cody Ford - Ford has to take firm ownership of the LG position and stay healthy this year if he wants to get paid.  With how they've drafted and how they played without him, I think he has an uphill battle, but I do believe he can be re-signed fairly cheap, so I could see him staying on with us

Devin Singletary - I think Singletary puts up about 500 yards, but in splitting carries with Moss and Breida, I don't think he'll be able to take command of the group.  Singletary will play out his 4 years and most likely be gone, or stay on a cheap deal.

Dawson Knox - Besides Oliver, Knox is the second most watched player for me this offseason.  All he has to do is show reliable hands on the easy catches and I think he'll earn an extension.  In this offense however, I don't see him commanding enough balls to get the stats that would get him highly paid, nor have other teams fight us for him.  I believe his strong relationship with Josh will help him (unlike it did Smoke), and he does enough to get a new deal.

Thoughts?

Oliver - better run defense

Ford - stay healthy, stay nasty

Singletary - find 3rd gear

Knox - look the ball in

• Like (+1) 7

I would partially disagree on Ed: so long as he’s disruptive, I would be happy. There are times where pressure leads to a better outcome than a sack. 

Ford is a question mark for me. We’ll see. 

Singltary will be interesting given his body composition change. I’m excited to see what he can bring. I’m also not sold Breida will be a part of game day a’la Yeldon. I believe DS and Moss will be the game day actives for the backfield. 

I have high hopes for Knox. While it takes some skill players historically four years to get up to speed, I think he’s put in the work and am hopeful it pays off. We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

We need all four of those guys to step-up...and then we are talking about a very good football team! 

I feel all 4 are solid football players and can do it, but if not they should be sent packing. 

The money is going to get tight for the Bills very soon.

Go Bills!

Oliver-Yes he was the 9th overall pick and the Bills were thrilled he dropped to them but many "experts" had him as a top three pick.  Personally I think he is a great man and will be a good pro, never be a great pro and live up to all the hype.   He is not huge nor super quick so I never saw him as a great pick.   50/50 we pick up his fifth year option.

Ford-Have we officially given up on him as a tackle, I assume we have.  We again were also thrilled he dropped to us but had had injury issues.  I think if healty he will learn concentrate on the guard position and turn into a quality starter.

Singletary-I think the Bills learned that a RB can be exicti8ing and dynamic but you can't overcome his lack if speed and is small.  A good player, will never be great.  Cant explain his rookie success, think that was an anomaly, hope I am wrong.   position.  I agree, he plays his four years and then is gone or stays very cheap.  They drafted Moss for a reason.  I think if he gets 500 yards running this year would be the over/under.

Knox-I will swallow his hand-eye technical help and thin he can improve "his hands".  Clearly has the heart to play the position, will learn to blaock better and know his assignments better (think of the mistakes he made in his first playoff games for the Bills), he certainly wants to improve and think he will.

So i am optimistic about Knox & Ford making big strides.  I think the over drafted on Oliver and Singletary, jury out on Ford and Knox.

• Like (+1) 1

The JAG draft class.

If I had to wager, my bet would be none of them ever become first team All- Pros. For Oliver that is a large indictment.

I am a Bean fan but this isn’t how you build a consistent playoff team , especially once we sign Josh.

I think Oliver will be kept.  An advantage of the 5th year option is being able to negotiate a contract prior to the 5th year that includes guaranteed money and extended years.  I think they will and should do that with Oliver.

Singletary should do better.  He has no option and just as well.  He should not be expensive.  Next year may be a year for an RB in the draft.

Knox should be a TE2.  He should not be expensive and I would like to see an extension with a guarantee for a reasonable contract.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

First team all pro is a pretty high bar no? 

Oliver has the best chance to be a real good player. He already is a good player. 

Fords on his way to becoming a borderline starter in this league. Really nothing special. Probably a solid depth player throughout his career and nothing more. I’d guess motor has a better 3rd year and Knox continues to be Knox.

Would love to see EO explode this year !!!! Not counting on it. 
   At that position of the first round, I would hope a D Lineman would be disruptive enough to be at the forefront of the opposing D coordinator’s mind from time to time. Not seeing any sign of that.

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

We need all four of those guys to step-up...and then we are talking about a very good football team! 

I feel all 4 are solid football players and can do it, but if not they should be sent packing. 

The money is going to get tight for the Bills very soon.

Go Bills!

I think Ed and Cody will step up, improve their game and earn a 2nd contract. I don't have that feeling with Devin or Dawson. 

• Like (+1) 1

I expect a higher level of consistency, coupled with more “splash plays” , frankly, what else is there to expect? Well, outside of a Super bowl ring… 👍

Go Bills!!!

These players are intriguing because I could see any one of them either emerging as a star or being nearly phased out and given limited snaps.

Cody Ford's job as a guard is the most in danger considering the additions of Forrest Lamp, Jamil Douglas, and Jack Anderson, plus the return of Ike Boettger, Feliciano, and Bates. Then when you consider they drafted Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle to be the tackles of he future, it's tough to see Ford making the starting lineup unless he is absolutely dominant in preseason. 

I really like Singletary and he's great in pass protection, but I think he's most effective in a RB committee as opposed to being the lead back.

Ed Oliver still has untapped potential and I think the return of Star and Phillips coming back healthy could lead to a breakout season for him. 

Dawson Knox can be a beast with the ball in his hands, but he drops too many easy passes and Josh is usually looking downfield instead of checking down to rb's and te's. It's no secret that the team is still trying to find an upgrade at the position.

It might sound pessimistic, but I don't see any of these guys resigning with the Bills after their rookie deals are over.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Year 3 of any NFL players career is when GM's expect the light switch to turn on and see what kind of Pro they can become.  We saw it in the best possible way with Josh Allen and have some pretty big position players this year as well.  In my opinion, these players are all fighting for their new contracts this year or could see their replacements drafted soon.  With that, what would you need to see from the following players to justify their 5th year option (Oliver only) or a contract extension next off-season.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you're assuming all three will be active on Sundays??  Something they've yet to do the past two seasons?  I'm hoping they do, but to do that does mean shorting another roster slot.

This is why I'm very optimistic about this season.  I think we have a number of guys that can make that 3rd year leap.  And if they do the Bills will be formidable.  I especially like that they are scattered across areas of need for the team - RB, TE, D-line and O - line.

I expect that we will be pleasantly surprised by these players and the rest of the NFL will be shocked.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ford-Have we officially given up on him as a tackle, I assume we have.

Given the fact that we re-signed Daryl Williams then drafted 2 tackles - yeah, I think we have.  I hope we have.  I think he's a guy that the team mantra of "positional flexibility" does not serve well.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Knox-I will swallow his hand-eye technical help and thin he can improve "his hands".  Clearly has the heart to play the position, will learn to blaock better and know his assignments better (think of the mistakes he made in his first playoff games for the Bills), he certainly wants to improve and think he will.

Hope you're right there.