LeSean McCoy Remembering his Buffalo Days

On 6/18/2021 at 9:21 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually,  the Bills bought into getting Shady to buy into Buffalo.

Tearing up his existing Philadelphia deal and adding like $25M in guaranteed money.

And then...........in a move I've never seen before or since..........McBeane gave him a $2M bonus in the summer of 2017 to buy his loyalty.

In return Buffalo got a disappointing first season...........an excellent season in an offense that inflated rushing stats...........and then a well below league average ypc performance in 2017.    Not even going to go into 2018.     

So they paid an average of well over $10M per year for one exceptional season.

One can't criticize Whaley and his handling of the salary cap and say that McCoy was a good acquisition without being utterly hypocritical.

I can see your point. At the same time, you can criticize Whaley and like what McCoy did at the same time. It's not his fault whaley was a moron. He still balled out, and even the years that weren't as statistically good (except for the last - he was done), he was still a player to raised the level of players around him, especially when the team was lacking talent - which is the fault of Whaley.

2 hours ago, todd said:

I can see your point. At the same time, you can criticize Whaley and like what McCoy did at the same time. It's not his fault whaley was a moron. He still balled out, and even the years that weren't as statistically good (except for the last - he was done), he was still a player to raised the level of players around him, especially when the team was lacking talent - which is the fault of Whaley.

The 2015 and 2016 Bills teams had A LOT of talent.

They didn't have a franchise QB.........but that's about all they didn't have on either side of the ball..........they were massive underachievers and McCoy did his share to make that so........especially in 2015 when his head wasn't into being a Buffalo Bill.    Who could forget him falling flat on his face against his nemesis Chip Kelly in a game the Bills should absolutely have won.    There was no excuse for that team missing the playoffs either season. 

The 2017 offense was diminished by trading Watkins and not retaining Woods.........but McCoy wasn't raising the level of the offense.........their offense went from one of the better ones in the league to one of the very worst.   They won in spite of the offense.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, Rock'em Sock'em said:

That's not McCoy.  I read it here that McCoy was less effective than Gore.

haha. Not only that. McCoy was less effective than DeMarco Murray after he left Dallas and Ryan Matthews who carried the ball maybe  5 times  and Mike Gillislee who spent a lot of time on the bench.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, Niagara Bill said:

McCoy is a footnote. Huge paycheck, minor irritations, 1 trick pony running style, ineffective blocker, on the way down. 

Not even as effective as Riddick, Davis, Lynch, McGahee, Spiller, Gore, Henry in his time here. 

A total waste of money which should gave been spent on important positions. 

IMHO.🤔

This might be the worst take I’ve seen on this board. And that is very impressive 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got to love you some Shady McCoy this si my best memory of him i just loved this game he always ran good in snow games but the Snovertime Game he was epic !!

Well they won't let me post it i guess but go to youtube and watch Shady's game winner against the colts in the Snovertime Game at the Ralph !! 

Seriously... This almost bums me out a little cause I can only imagine how dynamic and super scary this offense would be with a 26 year old Shady on our team. Our offense would be so good we could do anything we wanted to, when we wanted or needed to. I was in my early 20's during the bills hay day... it also makes me think how good our offense was those years with a Thurman Thomas. 

Many will not agree but having a strong RB on the team would make this team so much better.. Having a strong RB is not about running more folks... Its about having that threat to be able to run and then on weather days have the ability to crap it down peoples throats... convincingly. 

In all seriousness hoping Josh brings it to another level is not my first/priority hope. My main hope is that one of these RB's we have now figures it out and we have the proper scheme to block for them... That's my #1 hope going into this year.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, Niagara Bill said:

McCoy is a footnote. Huge paycheck, minor irritations, 1 trick pony running style, ineffective blocker, on the way down. 

Not even as effective as Riddick, Davis, Lynch, McGahee, Spiller, Gore, Henry in his time here. 

A total waste of money which should gave been spent on important positions. 

IMHO.🤔

We have a new sarcastic/troll post of the year folks.. right here.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, Niagara Bill said:

Ok seriously, what did this guy do that Lynch, Riddick, Davis didn't do as well or better. Shady had a rep coming here, he was good but not transcending. Maybe won 3 games we would have lost with another back. Take him out and replace with many if the names I suggested....same or better outcome. 

He was a cult hero when we needed hope...but seriously,  was he that good.

Lynch wasn't that great in Buffalo. He was being out-performed by Fred Jackson. When he went Seattle is when he became elite. I'd much rather have the Buffalo version of McCoy than than the Buffalo version of Lynch. 

And Buffalo was continuously a top 5 rushing team every year with McCoy. Yeah, put in Devin Singletary and I'm pretty sure you won't get those same results. 

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Seriously... This almost bums me out a little cause I can only imagine how dynamic and super scary this offense would be with a 26 year old Shady on our team. Our offense would be so good we could do anything we wanted to, when we wanted or needed to. I was in my early 20's during the bills hay day... it also makes me think how good our offense was those years with a Thurman Thomas. 

Many will not agree but having a strong RB on the team would make this team so much better.. Having a strong RB is not about running more folks... Its about having that threat to be able to run and then on weather days have the ability to crap it down peoples throats... convincingly. 

In all seriousness hoping Josh brings it to another level is not my first/priority hope. My main hope is that one of these RB's we have now figures it out and we have the proper scheme to block for them... That's my #1 hope going into this year.

We have a new sarcastic/troll post of the year folks.. right here.

Maybe you are right maybe you are wrong, but east west running backs like Shady and Barry Sanders types always have people who live them, but they seldom win consistently. 

Just saying, while Shady brought excitement, hope and cheers, in the end when you needed to run the ball north south in Nov Dec, ....

He propped us up, but that did nothing to help us sniff a SB.

If you enjoy being average with a hope, get Shady, if you want to win...stay away from east west runners.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Maybe you are right maybe you are wrong, but east west running backs like Shady and Barry Sanders types always have people who live them, but they seldom win consistently. 

Just saying, while Shady brought excitement, hope and cheers, in the end when you needed to run the ball north south in Nov Dec, ....

If you enjoy being average with a hope, get Shady, if you want to win...stay away from east west runners.

that's the stupidest thing I ever heard in bolded. We did not take runs with what we had at RB... We did not take runs because of who was QB... Just stupid talk right here... Saying you cant win a SB  with Allen + McCoy or Allen + Sanders is the dumbest thing anyone would agree to on these forums.

We did not get to a SB not because who was at HB... but who was at QB.. PERIOD.\

In my post above I made it very clear that with a Josh Allen and McCoy we would no doubt make a SB run and your trying to say no?

come on man...

• Vomit 1

9 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Yeah shady was horrible in the snow during his career…..

Why does everyone want Shady to be a messiah. 

"We would win if we had Shady with Josh". Seriously...why not say Thurman, or Lynch (who did win), or Fred, etc.

IMHO, Shady was good, not great. an East west runner who for some reason got dumped in Philly (hmmmm, this future HoF runner....they saw his limitations). 

He propped up the Bills fans and hope....and we bought it, 

When we brought him here it was to placate fans not to win...

If Ertz move is to be believed that is a piece to go to SB, like Diggs is. 

Nice to see Shady, but I want a fifth chance at a SB.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Why does everyone want Shady to be a messiah. 

"We would win if we had Shady with Josh". Seriously...why not say Thurman, or Lynch (who did win), or Fred, etc.

IMHO, Shady was good, not great. an East west runner who for some reason got dumped in Philly (hmmmm, this future HoF runner....they saw his limitations). 

He propped up the Bills fans and hope....and we bought it, 

When we brought him here it was to placate fans not to win...

If Ertz move is to be believed that is a piece to go to SB, like Diggs is. 

Nice to see Shady, but I want a fifth chance at a SB.

Shady was traded for Kiko by Chip Kelly because he had a hard on for any former Oregon player regardless of NFL ability.  Had nothing to do with Shady's perceived limitations.       There is a reason why Chip Kelly is now out of NFL...

Edited by prissythecat
add info

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Shady was traded for Kiko by Chip Kelly because he had a hard on for any former Oregon player regardless of NFL ability.  Had nothing to do with Shady's perceived limitations.       There is a reason why Chip Kelly is now out of NFL...

Maybe true, maybe not....it was a good deal fir Bills, but Shady is still Shady...EW runner, looks great but is only decent in a winning system. IMHO

On 6/18/2021 at 7:57 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I loved watching McCoy play.  I didn't like the move at first or like him in general.....but he kinda grew on me once he started scoring TD's and wearing a Bills uniform.

He was certainly fun to watch.

You are very right, fun, hopeful, a reason the cheer, good player,  sold jerseys...on a team that needed a reason to keep you cheering. But alas, few wins. He can only get you so far.

11 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Maybe true, maybe not....it was a good deal fir Bills, but Shady is still Shady...EW runner, looks great but is only decent in a winning system. IMHO

You are very right, fun, hopeful, a reason the cheer, good player,  sold jerseys...on a team that needed a reason to keep you cheering. But alas, few wins. He can only get you so far.

you act like he was the QB of the team.. HE wasn't he was a HB. This is a QB driven league but teams need decent HB's also. Teams with Elite QB's and HB's become very special to watch. You also act like its all on McCoy and McCoy was the reason that we did not make it to the SB. That's just nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

and you even said it right here.... McCoy was not in a winning system with a winning QB. Put McCoy and that kind of run threat on this team? yea... huge.

Why do Niagara Bill keep calling Shady, Barry East/West runners? I would think the goal of any RB is to score a TD and/or gain yards. If I remember correctly, Barry/Shady didn't run behind the greatest offensive lines, a la Emmitt Smith. They had to use their God given talents to make it work. Had they had a decent line like Thurman, TD, etc. I'm sure Emmitt wouldn't have the rushing title and Shady would be higher on that list. That run shown earlier against Jacksonville says it all. 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

On 6/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, prissythecat said:

I can’t believe the lack of respect on this board for Shady.

Who said I didn't respect Shady, I just thought other backs would be better and east west runners never win.

There are people on this board who debated Johnson and Flutie. Then there those who said, doesn't matter, cannot win SB with either. Doesn't mean we didn't respect them.