LeSean McCoy Remembering his Buffalo Days

13 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

McCoy is a footnote. Huge paycheck, minor irritations, 1 trick pony running style, ineffective blocker, on the way down. 

Not even as effective as Riddick, Davis, Lynch, McGahee, Spiller, Gore, Henry in his time here. 

A total waste of money which should gave been spent on important positions. 

IMHO.🤔

I was somewhat with you until after the first paragraph. 

Not as good as Spiller? 

😁😁😁😂😂😂😮😮😮

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

Shady's departure was handled very well by the Bills.  They showed him great respect by cutting him and letting him go to a team that could use him effectively, at a lower cost than his contract with us called for, because he just wasn't as good as he had been by that time.  The alternative was to trade him for a bag of old footballs, because no other team was going to give up much for him at his contract price.  Trading Shady for a seventh or something similar would have stained his reputation.

The players around the league see how different teams treat their players.  The Bills knew they couldn't afford to pay Jordan Phillips after his big year in Buffalo, and they let him and Shaq Lawson go sign big contracts elsewhere.  Both of them probably love the cash they're getting but also wish they were still playing here.

It's a big deal to NFL players to know a team will treat them with respect.  I can't think of any Bills player in the last few years where contract or injury concerns left a bad taste in their mouths.  Every cut they've ever made was an obviously reasonable move -- John Brown comes to mind.  Everyone knew he wasn't playing to the value of his current contract.  The Bills released him and he moved on where he wanted to go.  

What goes around comes around.  Buffalo is now viewed as a desirable place for FAs.  Cutting Shady was an investment in reputation for the team.  It's paying off.

Hey, I'm not sure about your memory.

I seem to recall a very bitter Shady saying things like they should have cut him sooner to allow him more teams to sign on with.

In fact I'm pretty sure he went public against McBeane saying they gave him a vote of confidence a month earlier and he felt it was dirty being released when he was.

To be honest, if my memory is correct he approached them and asked if he was going to be cut and received the vote of confidence which in my eyes, truly would give him reason to be pissed off with them deciding a month later to cut him.

He made out alright though but I'm willing to bet Shady would say something about Andy Reid similar to Leveon Bell.

And yet, I'll say I would take his side in being pissed off with McBeane for all of this if it happened as I've laid out. By the way, my memory is shot lol but I think I git this.

It's a business and McBeane did what they felt was best for the Buffalo Bills so I would never hold that against them and despite that little stain, I believe McBeane are very highly regarded in the league and by the players. Pegula's too for good measure. And why not? 

McBeane has a golden touch around here and personally, I'm ecstatic with them. Regardless, I enjoyed shady. He brought it when he played. 

He has some character issues though but it never really was an issue here other than the Philly bar cop issue. The girlfriend thing at the house? I don't know whatever came from that but that was notable. Good player did some nice things for us. No saint though.

• Like (+1) 1

Shady was definitely one of the first to openly praise Josh at any chance, at a time when most in the media were doubtful. He was such an awesome teammate. He might have been a little loose with his comments and twitter at times but all of the nonsense about him being a diva, or locker room cancer, or whatever have been proven false again and again.

He seemed legitimately greatful for the chance in Buffalo back then and he still does. The statistical nosedive post-Buffalo is a shame. Had he put one or two more solid years together he'd be a likely HOF. 

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was somewhat with you until after the first paragraph. 

Not as good as Spiller? 

😁😁😁😂😂😂😮😮😮

Ok, maybe better than Spiller, but not by much. He was a great self promoter, many fans enjoyed his style, his talent, his fame from Philly, BUT, his backwards style of running away from contact often hurt a struggling team as much as his talent helped. He could no longer carry a team by the time he came to the Bills

23 hours ago, H2o said:

shady.0.gif

We need a running back who can do this right now!

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

Ok, maybe better than Spiller, but not by much. He was a great self promoter, many fans enjoyed his style, his talent, his fame from Philly, BUT, his backwards style of running away from contact often hurt a struggling team as much as his talent helped. He could no longer carry a team by the time he came to the Bills

I respectfully disagree, and think he almost single handedly carried our team to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He was a great player for the first 3 years (102 YPG) and a great teammate.  He was a high-profile player who brought some legitimacy to the Bills despite Rex Ryan and their record.  He had some run-ins with the law but they proved to be nothing.  I wish we could find a player like him from the beginning of his career.

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Shady in his prime would put this team over the top. Probably win 2-3 Super Bowls over the next 4-5 years if that were the case.

Big Shady McCoy fan over here. Any type of competent QB play with him would've put Bills in SB discussions earlier

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, H2o said:

shady.0.gif

I could find similar runs by Davis, Riddick,  McGahee, Lynch, Spiller. 

He had moments no doubt, An NFL rb should do this from time to time. Still say he was OK, but we could have spent the money more wisely. 

42 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

He had moments no doubt, An NFL rb should do this from time to time. Still say he was OK, but we could have spent the money more wisely. 

6th all time Bills in rushing yards… surprising in under 4 seasons. 

37 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Oh hell.......you can find similar runs from Mike Gillislee and Karlos Williams in that offense.

That offense was VERY RB friendly........like the current Baltimore offense.

People remember some of Karlos big runs but also MG had runs of 44, 50 and 60 in 2015 and 2016.

McCoy left hundred of yards on the field in his first season in Buffalo by refusing to follow the dance steps of Roman's inside zone rushing attack..........he admitted as much and bought into the gameplan in 2016.....and even though he was physically diminished from the 300 carry guy he had been in Philly by that point he had a GREAT season..........but so did whoever filled in for him.

McCoy was mostly a celebrity in Buffalo.   They got some nice performances out of him and once he got his act together he was a solid teammate but Roman's offense was going to produce big time anyway and once McDermott got there McCoy was washed up.    That was ultimately an astonishing amount of money to waste on a RB to get one excellent season out of 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shady had three good years with the Bills (2015-2017) and then one not so good one (2018) before he was cut. He was at age 30 coming off of a down year while on a big contract. It made sense for the Bills to cut him and I am glad he spent the past two seasons chasing rings. Although he wasn't much of a factor in Tampa this past season (at least not on the field) he was at least a solid role player in KC in 2019 before he was inactive during their playoff run. 

I have to think he will make the Hall of Fame right? He has six 1,000 yard seasons, six Pro-Bowls, two First Team All-Pros, 11k career rushing yards, just under 4k career receiving yards, was named to the 2010's all decade team and two rings as a role/bench player. Had great seasons in Philly and some very good ones in Buffalo. Hard to argue he hasn't had a Hall of Fame worth career right?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Shady in his prime would put this team over the top. Probably win 2-3 Super Bowls over the next 4-5 years if that were the case.

Yes, 2010-2013 Shady was tremendous.......but it's not even a partially RB driven league.........teams that win SB's now do it with inexpensive RB-by-committee approaches.

No matter how good your RB is he is not going to average near 8 yards per attempt that you can expect from a QB like Josh Allen.

When Shady's decline started in 2014 the Eagles fed him the ball like crazy on the ground and in the air.........and he ended up leading the NFL in LEAST yards per touch(6.3).

The diminished Buffalo version of McCoy struggled in outside zone.........which is what Daboll wants to run...........it re-awoke Shady's bad habit of 2014/2015 of trying outrun the defense to the edge in a league where LB's were getting smaller and faster.

It absolutely, positively is a passing league and a strong focus on RB play isn't the way to get it done.