Mayor of Chicago from the top rope on the consideration of moving the Bears stadium to the suburbs

17 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I heard about this a few weeks ago and still am generally confused at how/why the Bears are looking for a new stadium.   Wasnt Soldier Field fit with all the bells and whistles for a huge price-tag not too long ago?  

Soldier Field was renovated in 2002

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I guess I’m in the minority, but the Bears outside of that year with Grossman where they lost to the Colts haven’t really been that relevant since the 80’s.  She’s pretty much saying what fans are thinking.  I know she should be above calling them out, but she’s standing her ground.  I can’t remember the figure, but I thought it was over $500 mil. Invested in Soldier Field upgrades.

$632 million in 2001-2003 dollars.

The Bears are locked into their lease until 2033 and have a sweatheart deal (@$6-7 Million a year lease)

From what I read it is among the smallest seating capacity in the league. Someone can verify.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

12 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Worked Well for San Diego.... or not

And,  San Diego goes on being a really nice place to live, even without a football team…,  the chargers on the other hand are now even more so on an island.

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

And,  San Diego goes on being a really nice place to live, even without a football team…,  the chargers on the other hand are now even more so on an island.

Can't really argue with either point. Just surprising a city as large as San Diego has only the Padres going for it at a professional level.

The Bears are locked into a lease until 2032 or 2033, so probably much ado about nothing.

I'm not a big fan of the Lightfoot or the Bears so the comment was funny. I have to give her credit for that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

IMO, she and the state of Illinois are lucky the Bears aren't considering leaving the state.  Nobody wants to live in Chicago or Illinois.  

Hammond, Gary, Indiana! 😆

Oh wait, Whiting, Indiana borders with Chicago too! @Gugny 😉😜😘

Better yet... Kenosha, Wisconsin or Benton Harbor, Michigan! 😆🤣

12 hours ago, PokeForLife said:

"Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!! Beat the Packers, Finally!!"

Goddamn it I didn't read this before making the same joke

ughhhhhhh

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hammond, Gary, Indiana! 😆

Oh wait, Whiting, Indiana borders with Chicago too! @Gugny 😉😜😘

Better yet... Kenosha, Wisconsin or Benton Harbor, Michigan! 😆🤣

Kindly keep me about a billion miles away from this thread, E.  Thanks!!

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

San Diego California? Nobody can afford to live there, which is why they have such a negative net migration. In fact, California as a whole is in trouble. They have population decline and super rising costs.

• Agree 1

As anticipated, this thread -while newsworthy- is bringing out the wolves. Y’all can’t see the hidden or deleted posts, but they’re gaining in number and ALL Y’all know better.

THINK! -before you respond. You know the boundaries. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

As anticipated, this thread -while newsworthy- is bringing out the wolves. Y’all can’t see the hidden or deleted posts, but they’re gaining in number and ALL Y’all know better.

Do you like onions and hot peppers on a tuna sub?

59 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I had no idea anything about this mayor. I just thought it was funny that she slammed the bears like that. Feel free to lock it up if it’s going political. 

she is correct about it being mostly a negotiating position but the Bears could make a lot more money with a bigger stadium that has more seating as well as corporate and private amenities.  

lightfoot has a tactic of her own in that statement, keeping the Chicago name in the team.  she is playing on the baseless fear that many bears fans have, that somehow they must lose the chicago name if the stadium winds up in the suburbs.  so many people believe this and are concerned about it, unjustifiably so.  

Edited by jethro_tull

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had no idea anything about this mayor. I just thought it was funny that she slammed the bears like that. Feel free to lock it up if it’s going political. 

How is making fun of her emails political? I'd make fun of anyone who repeats something seventeen times in the same email. It's hilarious, and has nothing to do with her being mayor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

she is correct about it being mostly a negotiating position but the Bears could make a lot more money with a bigger stadium that has more seating as well as corporate and private amenities.  

lightfoot has a tactic of her own in that statement, keeping the Chicago name in the team.  she is playing on the baseless fear that many bears fans have, that somehow they must lose the chicago name if the stadium winds up in the suburbs.  so many people believe this and are concerned about it, unjustifiably so.  

What would they call them? Illinois Bears?