McDermott flies with the Angels

The Wiz

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm curious if mcd passed out on that last maneuver where he said almost 7gs.

Just the fact the pilot is talking while they are doing 4gs and mcd had that grimace on his face is crazy to think about the training they must go through. 

YeahI would be barfing … 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I did it 312 times.

These VIP things they do with Blue Angel 7 are pretty calm events, but still a nice way to spend an hour on a beautiful afternoon.

You can clearly see his anxiety at the beginning, and his pleasure having done so at the end.

We’re you a pointy nosed guy? RIO or pilot?

31 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm curious if mcd passed out on that last maneuver where he said almost 7gs.

Just the fact the pilot is talking while they are doing 4gs and mcd had that grimace on his face is crazy to think about the training they must go through. 

They talked about it, but I'm certain he was joking.

One would never do a 7g pull with a novice in the back, and possibly break his neck.

Neither were wearing g suits, as the Blues never do, but 7 would black out anybody not trained and ready for it.

It is simply not possible to not black out at 7, actually 5 for most people.

The most they do is 4 on these VIP rides.

27 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

We’re you a pointy nosed guy? RIO or pilot?

Pilot.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This would be an interesting exercise under some of the previous organizational hierarchies.

"Meh.  That all it does?"

"I'll just wear this Clemson helmet.  Will my brother fit?"

"Where else would I rather be than right here right now?!"

"Whoo-whee!"

"Does the Navy still have WAVES?"

"People are not meant to pull 6Gs.  This was Nix's idea."

Not sure either of the Ryan Brothers would have fit into the plane.  Likely their weight would have slowed the plane down 100 knots or so!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

They talked about it, but I'm certain he was joking.

One would never do a 7g pull with a novice in the back, and possibly break his neck.

Neither were wearing g suits, as the Blues never do, but 7 would black out anybody not trained and ready for it.

It is simply not possible to not black out at 7, actually 5 for most people.

The most they do is 4 on these VIP rides.

Pilot.

Yea I remember them doing it on myth busters and I think the most they pulled was 5-6 and Adam blacked out.

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not sure either of the Ryan Brothers would have fit into the plane.  Likely their weight would have slowed the plane down 100 knots or so!

Flight system as soon as they get into the plane: “STALL!!! STALL!!!”

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Flight system as soon as they get into the plane: “STALL!!! STALL!!!”

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I imagine something along the lines of an elevator when the "over capacity" light comes on. 

Actually, an AI voice (Uniblab's) says:

"One at a time!  One at a time!  Back to work!  Back to work!"

image.thumb.jpeg.c242c436bda74c81c0ec4ba328cf1a2c.jpeg

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Spent some years in MAG 32 at Cherry Point NC, with VMGR 252 and VMA 331, C-130 Hercules, and A4-M series Skyhawks, respectively, when on deployment it was very cool to be at the observation tower at NAS Fallon Nevada bombing range and watch the fighter attack jets come in and drop what we called “shake and bake” loads, one thousand pounders and napalm, damn impressive, from four miles away we could feel the concussion from the detonations, those were the days, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

........ at NAS Fallon Nevada bombing range and watch the fighter attack jets come in and drop what we called “shake and bake” loads, one thousand pounders and napalm, damn impressive, from four miles away we could feel the concussion from the detonations, those were the days, 👍

Many, many weeks at Fallon as an aggressor, after having dropped tons of bombs and strafing their targets.

I was about 40 miles from there on 9-11 as an airline guy when we got the message of the issue.

My plan was to land there if we had an attempt, but made it back to San Francisco.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

My last Blue Angels/football related post, then I'm out.

After my second cruise on Kitty Hawk, I joined the Pacific  Fleet Adversaries.

That is a squadron where you fight others. It's tough to get in, you kind of have to be invited, and you have to kind of prove your mettle when you get in.

First week, the squadron is going to play in the annual Fog Bowl, a football game with the A7 replacement training squadron on the same base.

Anyone who has lived in the Central Valley of California knows how bad the fog is in the winter.

The Adversaries have about 12 pilots. The Fog Bowl is against the A7 replacement squadron, which has about five times more guys.

Anyway, I agree to play and attend my first practice. 

First play, I'm lined up as a corner. I'm pretty sure I can compete, so my plan is to expect an out pattern, (the usual first practice route). My plan is to back pedal enough to bait the throw, then close on it and pick it.

Out comes the wide out, one Curt Watson, call sign Griz, short for grizzly bear, because that's what he looked like. About 5'10" and 190.  No worries.

Play snaps. Griz runs a 7 and then cuts to the sideline. I take one more back pedal, baiting the throw, and I think I got this made.

QB, who is another story, and very good, pumps and I jump the route.

Griz turns it up and I'm thinking, no problem, I can cover the double move. He can't be that fast.

The problem is he is gaining on me. I can't cover the guy.

Fortunately the pass is a bit overthrown and hits the dirt, but I was had.

At the end of this, I am quite impressed with Griz, being the new guy to the squadron and not knowing anyone, if he has played ball.

He says yes, and I ask him where, and he says Green Bay.

Turns out he was the leading rusher for Tennessee, and played two years for the Packers.

We became fast friends and rented a ski place together in the Sierras before he applied and was accepted in the Blues.

By the way, he was the guy that flew Tom Cruise  when Cruise decided to do TopGun.

Cruise wasn't decided until then, and Griz took him up and that was that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I was surprised that the tandem bike they rode in Delaware Park made it. Must have been 600 pounds riding those tires.

When I visit relatives in VA Beach, they warn not to look up when fighter planes flew by "You'll look like a tourist." They handle fighters like it's a daily thing.

When I lived in MD and worked DC, I saw a lot of Air Force One and Presidential helicopters. Very cool.

When I read "McDermott flies with the angels", I thought it was a bizarre, mafia style way of saying he had died.

Ya know, sort of like "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes". 

Sheesh. I'm glad that's not what it was. He just sat in an airplane for a little while. That's WAY better. What a relief.

Godfather GIF by memecandy

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, boater said:

I was surprised that the tandem bike they rode in Delaware Park made it. Must have been 600 pounds riding those tires.

When I visit relatives in VA Beach, they warn not to look up when fighter planes flew by "You'll look like a tourist." They handle fighters like it's a daily thing.

When I lived in MD and worked DC, I saw a lot of Air Force One and Presidential helicopters. Very cool.

I live in Wilmington NC which is an alternative landing site for Air Force One if DC were under siege or something so once a month or so you see the plane down here practicing touch and goes.

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

If interested, the best Blue Angels video from their perspective ever.

It was from a final practice at El Centro Ca.

The A4 was a better airshow airplane than the F-18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5PqVeex4QU

Great video.  

Many years ago, I watched "Top Gun" with a bunch of other young army lieutenants.  It's hard to described how pumped up we got:  different branch, different way of fighting - but we loved watching the fighter jocks.  Can't do barrel rolls in a tank!

McD was obviously nervous at the beginning, and I don't blame him.  

P.S.  Thanks for your service.  

• Like (+1) 1