Louis Riddick on NFL Live said the AFC was top heavy

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Idk man. Did you watch the Chiefs v. Browns playoff game? They almost had them and sent Mahomes on a trajectory that essentially handed the Bucs the Super Bowl IMO. They worry me more than the Ravens. Lamar is trash, Baker is good more often than bad, and their RB and WR core are really scary.

yeah I’m kind of happy we’re playing the Steelers from the AFCN this season and not the Browns.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Reid is sitting among the unvaccinated at Sahlen Field. Someone called him on that and Reid said not to read anything into it. Some folks don't want to sit shoulder to shoulder. Hmmm.

of course they did.  🙄

No one wants to admit it, but our defense was TRASH last year... sure we had some good games, but it was 99% due to coaching + game plan and the fact that our offense consistently put teams in a hole early forcing them to play into our scheme.. This team is going to be unstoppable next year with the new additions + Star coming back. So pumped. These teams will also be playing catchup.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Idk man. Did you watch the Chiefs v. Browns playoff game? They almost had them and sent Mahomes on a trajectory that essentially handed the Bucs the Super Bowl IMO. They worry me more than the Ravens. Lamar is trash, Baker is good more often than bad, and their RB and WR core are really scary.

They couldn’t even beat the Chiefs with Chad Henne. They aren’t close. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Yeah I believe if Browns had gotten the win with P.M being out, Bills would have beaten the Browns and went to the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Exactly. I’m not sure how you leave the Chargers out of the conversation of top 4-5. Watching them vs KC twice this year is going to be fun. 

I’m leaving them out of that conversation for now because I think their defense is going to be bad and they have a very inexperienced HC. Not to say he can’t be good but we have no idea, he was coaching at John Carroll like 5 years ago 

Tennessee will struggle this year due to the loss of their OC and TE.  JJ is an upgrade over the WR2 they lost but not enough to overcome the losses.  Their O line is not good.  And their D is just average at best.

We think the Titans are all that because the Bills lost to them so badly last year.  That was a strange game, with covid impacts and uncertainty, and that game was the low point for the Bills last year.  I think even last year the Bills beat the Titans 7 out of 10 times.  This year, 8 out of 10.

Cleveland and Miami have both been doing things right for a few years, building up their rosters.  One or both of them could gel and become dominant, or maybe neither one does.  All the chips have to land right for that to happen.  I would fear the Colts if I didn't remember how their QB played last year whence he came (see what I did there?).

The only real question for KC is whether their rebuilt O line works out.  They got good players but sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

And Dan Orlovsky agreed. They both had the top 4 the same:

Chiefs

Bills

Browns

Ravens

and then said the AFC Champ will come from one of those 4 and everyone else is just chasing. I always got the impression that the media saw it as Chiefs #1 and everyone else was chasing. Glad to see I am wrong.

It is those 4 for me. I said before last season I thought there were only three teams capable of representing the AFC in the Superbowl: Chiefs, Ravens, Bills. I would now add the Browns to that list but I don't think anyone else is on it. Another team could find a favourable route to a Championship game by beating one of those teams possibly, but I think for another team to make the Superbowl they have to beat two of those other teams minimum and I don't see it happening. 

The next little group after that is: Indianapolis, Tennessee and LA Chargers for me. Think they are the seven best teams in the conference. If that were the playoff seedings it would mean only 1 change from last year: Steelers out, Chargers in, and there is normally more than that but it feels like those 4 and then the next 3 are ahead of the game for me at this stage. 

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Tennessee will struggle this year due to the loss of their OC and TE.  JJ is an upgrade over the WR2 they lost but not enough to overcome the losses.  Their O line is not good.  And their D is just average at best.

We think the Titans are all that because the Bills lost to them so badly last year.  That was a strange game, with covid impacts and uncertainty, and that game was the low point for the Bills last year.  I think even last year the Bills beat the Titans 7 out of 10 times.  This year, 8 out of 10.

Cleveland and Miami have both been doing things right for a few years, building up their rosters.  One or both of them could gel and become dominant, or maybe neither one does.  All the chips have to land right for that to happen.  I would fear the Colts if I didn't remember how their QB played last year whence he came (see what I did there?).

The only real question for KC is whether their rebuilt O line works out.  They got good players but sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

I don't see Tenn as "all that" because they beat the Bills. I think they remain a likely playoff team and I don't see them struggling. After the Seahawks and the Chiefs no team has a longer unbroken run of winning seasons in the league than Tennessee. They are perennially underrated. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see Tenn as "all that" because they beat the Bills. I think they remain a likely playoff team and I don't see them struggling. After the Seahawks and the Chiefs no team has a longer unbroken run of winning seasons in the league than Tennessee. They are perennially underrated. 

How big of a loss do you think Arthur Smith will be to Tannehill?

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

No one wants to admit it, but our defense was TRASH last year... sure we had some good games, but it was 99% due to coaching + game plan and the fact that our offense consistently put teams in a hole early forcing them to play into our scheme.. This team is going to be unstoppable next year with the new additions + Star coming back. So pumped. These teams will also be playing catchup.

A bit harsh, but there's some truth here.  

I think we're a typical McDermott Defense away from being elite.  A typical McDermott Defense away from being able to beat the Chiefs.  

Star back, Epenesa year two and the addition of two high draft pick pass rushers...  If this Defensive Line can be solid against the run and truly rush the passer, this Bills team is as good as any in the league.   That Defense can hold the Chiefs to scoring in the 20's, and we know Josh Allen and Company on Offense can get to 30+.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

After the Seahawks and the Chiefs no team has a longer unbroken run of winning seasons in the league than Tennessee. They are perennially underrated. 

Great post.  Would note the Titans have a very weak division perennially which explains some of why they have so many winning seasons.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How big of a loss do you think Arthur Smith will be to Tannehill?

I think there will be an adjustment. I think Smith was a good offensive coordinator because he stayed patient. He did not get away from the run even when they were behind for most of the season. That will be a question with Todd Downing who struggled with that in his stint as OC in Oakland. But I just think they have two elite WRs and an elite back. I still think they have a decent line as well (one of the best LT-LG combos in the NFL) so I expect them to continue being efficient on offense. The big question for me is their secondary but it was pretty bad last year and they still won the division. I think they might take a small step back and the Colts might leapfrog them but they are still a playoff team to me. 

14 hours ago, Estro said:

I take the Ravens off that list. The Ravens are a very good regular season team, that can pound on avg to below avg teams with a solid defense and dominant run game......

But in the playoffs when they face the top offense they are done.  They're passing offense gives them next to no shot of winning 3 or 4 straight in the playoffs.

That my friend is why Harbaugh is not going to change the offense to much. Hard to get fired if you keep making the playoffs

7 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Great post.  Would note the Titans have a very weak division perennially which explains some of why they have so many winning seasons.  

They do. That division definitely helps. And as we stand here today they will be facing the worst starting Quarterback in the NFL last season (Wentz), the non-passing passer (Tyrod) and a rookie QB-HC combo (Lawrence & Meyer). They do have a tougher out of conference slate this year - the NFC West and the Saints - and they get the Bills, Dolphins, Patriots none of whom should be a cakewalk, but they could easily go 5-1 in their division. 

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Star back, Epenesa year two and the addition of two high draft pick pass rushers...  If this Defensive Line can be solid against the run and truly rush the passer, this Bills team is as good as any in the league.   That Defense can hold the Chiefs to scoring in the 20's, and we know Josh Allen and Company on Offense can get to 30+.

We don't know that Allen and company can get to 30+ against the Chiefs. They scored 17 and 24 in two attempts last year. A huge part of that was the Chiefs ability to beat our pass protection. Allen was running for his life too often in both games. The Bills oline was generally very good in pass pro last year but the Chiefs gave them fits both times. Until we work out how to prevent that we can't hang big numbers on them. 

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You “Guess”?  They were 3rd best with a future HOFer @ QB last year. Wentz? Nothing of the sort.🤦‍♂️

A little misleading to me. Rivers at that point was a bottleneck, not someone pushing the needle for them. Wentz might really benefit from a favorable system, and a great running game. My early prediction for comeback player OTY. Franky J is going to get the most out of him

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

man i would hate to see what you thought of the browns D.   Buffalo's D won the game against the ravens that in combination with tucker missing 2 FG's and somehow recovering that josh allen fumble.  i mean the bills had like 200 yds of offense in that game.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

the browns will have 10 new contributors on D we will see how they gel but they CANT be worse than last year.

i think the top teams in the afc  BUF, KC, CLE, BALT TENN, INDY  its going to be about matchups more than anything. 

i think CLE will match up well against TENN ,  BUF,  INDY the best.  they didnt match up against the ravens well

BUF matches up good against the ravens  doesn't IMO against TENN , CLE  type offenses

the infusion of speed on the browns D will work well against passing teams like buf and KC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m leaving them out of that conversation for now because I think their defense is going to be bad and they have a very inexperienced HC. Not to say he can’t be good but we have no idea, he was coaching at John Carroll like 5 years ago 

I think their defense is going to be a lot better than people think. They also get one of the best safeties in the game back. 

As much as I hate to say it... I think the Bills lose a heart breaker to the Browns in the playoffs this year.

But stay with me. This is what they need to propel them to their Super Bowl runs over the next 5-6 years.

Just like when the Bills lost the AFC Champ to Cincy, then bowed out of the playoffs early the next year to Cleveland thanks to Ronnie Harmon. Then straight dominated for the next handful of years. History repeating.

KC, Buffalo, and Cleveland at the top of the AFC is so 1990, and I love it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1