Jump to content

Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp


Recommended Posts

I said this last year and I will say it again, I think the hip injury has caused Tua to not be able to drive the ball like he used to. At Alabama his arm strength didn't seem to be a problem. I saw him throw some ropes in college. After the injury it seems he definitely lost some velocity. I thought it might be better this year since he was about 20 months removed from it, but maybe he will just never be the same. The Dolphins FO may be kicking themselves again after this year for passing on Fields, coupled with passing on Herbert to take Tua the previous year. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get that we like this and don't want to consider any 'excuses', but it was a torrential downpour. If this was an actual game, they wouldn't have been playing. 

 

The Dolphins fans are saying that this is a remarkable catching exhibition from their secondary in appalling conditions so whats not to like...?

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean while this would obviously be concerning I imagine the Dolphins are really emphasising taking chances and getting the ball out to Tua at the moment. His biggest issue in 2020 was being too safe. He didn't throw to guys who weren't wide open. At this stage of the offseason there might be an element of over compensating. Not to say this is good, it's not - and there was always the concern as to whether his arm is good enough to make tight window NFL throws. But conservatism was the first problem to tackle with Tua. If this season playing more aggressive he becomes a turn over machine then they will have to move on, but that is preferable to trying to prop him up another year playing small ball football and hiding his limitations. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Noted tua homer

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mandatory reading for anyone actively participating in this thread.

 

 

7 picks over 6 TC practices with a live defense? Not a huge deal 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get that we like this and don't want to consider any 'excuses', but it was a torrential downpour. If this was an actual game, they wouldn't have been playing. 


 

When have they stopped a game due to rain?  If there was Lightning games get postponed, but they would of canceled practice if that was the case also.

 

They have played games in the aftermath of hurricanes with non-stop rain.  This is a potential playing condition that he might have to deal with.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

Nothing to look at here - Fitz will come... OH WAIT - WHAT, NO FITZ???? 😱

 

Edited by cd1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean while this would obviously be concerning I imagine the Dolphins are really emphasising taking chances and getting the ball out to Tua at the moment. His biggest issue in 2020 was being too safe. He didn't throw to guys who weren't wide open. At this stage of the offseason there might be an element of over compensating. Not to say this is good, it's not - and there was always the concern as to whether his arm is good enough to make tight window NFL throws. But conservatism was the first problem to tackle with Tua. If this season playing more aggressive he becomes a turn over machine then they will have to move on, but that is preferable to trying to prop him up another year playing small ball football and hiding his limitations. 


 

I agree, but it was noted that the throws were not real aggressive - so it did not sound like overcompensating- it sounded more like a very wet/heavy ball and bad placement/late throws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

I agree, but it was noted that the throws were not real aggressive - so it did not sound like overcompensating- it sounded more like a very wet/heavy ball and bad placement/late throws.

 

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...