Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The concern here is there is no pass rush, it's OTA's.  Tua struggled last camp and already early on, in a 7 on 7 with no DL in front of him, still is turning it over.

You're not reading the same thing about Burrow or Herbert.  Even as raw as Allen was his rookie year, I don't remember him throwing 5 picks in a 7 on 7 session.

This is supposed to be a pitch and catch.

I honestly didn't read anything about his 5 INTs but I just read this article on it. They're likely asking him to take more chances. It's probably all by design. It's not really a big deal. 

"That's just been the emphasis for us, coming out to this first day of minicamp, was just to be aggressive, push the ball downfield," he said. "Obviously, you want to be smart but if there's a time to make mistakes, now's the time to make mistakes. We're just trying to see what we can fit in the hole, what we can throw within coverages and come in the film room and then learn from it."

If you're thinking to yourself, "Hmmm where have I heard another story about a QB who threw five interceptions during practice?" In 2019, during San Francisco 49ers training camp, Jimmy Garoppolo threw INTs on five consecutive passes. The Niners made it to the Super Bowl that campaign. Point being: Don't read too much into practice play-by-play.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tua-tagovailoa-on-5-int-minicamp-practice-emphasis-was-to-be-aggressive-push-the

19 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I'm in SoFla and it is raining like crazy. Even for down here, this is a strong one.

Guys TD is right.  Even though I’m in Tampa, the weather often is similar as it goes across our peninsula.  What some Might no know as most northerners don’t vacation in Fl in the summer as it’s the third ring of hell down here in the summer.  Anyway, rain looks like up north drizzly, etc. for the other three seasons, but from June-September when it rains, it’s like God and the Angels take a bucket and dump it on us for 40 minutes at a time.  If it was lightning then they take them off the field, but the Bucs will practice in heavy rain.

Im certainly not making excuses for Tua as I want to see him struggle as much as the next Bills fan.  Just put it in perspective.  Hindsight is 20/20, but the Chargers are looking smarter and smarter for taking Herbert.  I think after watching a couple of their games, he is the real deal.  Tua, it’s too early.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I honestly didn't read anything about his 5 INTs but I just read this article on it. They're likely asking him to take more chances. It's probably all by design. It's not really a big deal. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/tua-tagovailoa-on-5-int-minicamp-practice-emphasis-was-to-be-aggressive-push-the

The 49ers have been trying to replace Jimmy since so that's not a good example.  Nick Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl as well.

Again, this was a 7 on 7 drill with no pass rush for Tua.  Jimmy G was in actual training camp against a regular defense.

i wouldn't read wildly into this one way or the other either, but i think the biggest take away is that it's fun because it's not the bills.  we've been here before with qbs, and for now it seems to be over.  

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The 49ers have been trying to replace Jimmy since so that's not a good example.  Nick Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl as well.

Again, this was a 7 on 7 drill with no pass rush for Tua.  Jimmy G was in actual training camp against a regular defense.

It doesn't matter what it was. It doesn't mean anything. 

I don't think it matters either, at least not this early.

What did matter, and was a harbinger of things to come, was from Jets late  training camp last year when during a scrimmage, their two defense dominated their one offense, and their two offense dominated their one defense.

That was an eyebrow raiser, and foretold a very difficult September and October.

33 minutes ago, teef said:

i wouldn't read wildly into this one way or the other either, but i think the biggest take away is that it's fun because it's not the bills.  we've been here before with qbs, and for now it seems to be over.  

Definitely glad it's not us.  But at the same time, if I was a Dolphins fan and the last time I saw Tua it was against the 2nd and 3rd string Bills defense....he struggled mightily and enters a padless, in shorts 7 on 7 session and having the same struggles.

Not to see to put a stake in him but not trending in the direction I would want to see.  Especially when Burrow, coming off of a devastating knee injury was perfect in his 7 on 7 in his OTA's.  It doesn't get easier when it's against a live defense.

21 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

This sounds like the same story that was written about Mahomes.  

Except Tua already has one season under his belt , yah so not really the same 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

Kind of feels like they are pulling him in two different directions then, when he screwed up last season they pulled him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Definitely glad it's not us.  But at the same time, if I was a Dolphins fan and the last time I saw Tua it was against the 2nd and 3rd string Bills defense....he struggled mightily and enters a padless, in shorts 7 on 7 session and having the same struggles.

Not to see to put a stake in him but not trending in the direction I would want to see.  Especially when Burrow, coming off of a devastating knee injury was perfect in his 7 on 7 in his OTA's.  It doesn't get easier when it's against a live defense.

oh i wouldn't feel comfortable at all about it.  i'm with the others that think they should have just kept him in and let him take is lumps last year.  miami has a solid core and he seems to be the one element that's going to hold them back.  with the way he ended up the regular season in buffalo last year, and the nonsense about him not knowing, (or maybe understanding) the playbook appropriately, i'd be nervous as a  phins fan.

• Like (+1) 1

5 picks is the glass half empty perspective. 

The headlines could have been:

"Tua throws fewer than 6 INT in practice"

or 

"Tua throws significantly fewer than 20 INT in Practice Drills"

or

"Tua throws barely more than 4 INT in drills"

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of feels like they are pulling him in two different directions then, when he screwed up last season they pulled him.

Actually they pulled him when he wasn't throwing the ball. That Raiders game and Broncos game he had 0 picks. He was holding it forever and late on throws and not moving the ball. He wasn't benched for interceptions as a rule.

Not to say the benchings were sensible. I didn't agree with either, but the message is consistent. You need to throw the damn ball and worry less about picks. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not to say the benchings were sensible. I didn't agree with either, but the message is consistent. You need to throw the damn ball and worry less about picks. 

But if emphasis on throwing the ball is resulting in picks, in non contact practice, it is a matter of concern. OTOH he wont throw and is super conservative/indecisive. Which by itself is a problem. Now when he is being coached to get rid of it, he looks like Peterman, that is compounding the concern. Sound to me like he has a big problem in making decisions - either he doesnt chuck it at all or is incorrect. He doesnt have the "rookie" excuse either. 

Bears watching as this off season progresses, to know who the bills have to worry about (or not)

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

oh i wouldn't feel comfortable at all about it.  i'm with the others that think they should have just kept him in and let him take is lumps last year.  miami has a solid core and he seems to be the one element that's going to hold them back.  with the way he ended up the regular season in buffalo last year, and the nonsense about him not knowing, (or maybe understanding) the playbook appropriately, i'd be nervous as a  phins fan.

Every time you agree with me, an orphan gets a puppy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1