Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

When have they stopped a game due to rain?  If there was Lightning games get postponed, but they would of canceled practice if that was the case also.

They have played games in the aftermath of hurricanes with non-stop rain.  This is a potential playing condition that he might have to deal with.

lol

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Camp is where you make mistakes, find out what not to do, and get better so this report doesn't mean anything to me. But thank goodness the Dolphins drafted Tua over Herbert. 

I guess but I think that’s more the TC stage. 7 on 7 time is supposed to be easiest stage. The ball didn’t touch the ground or the DBs in  Joe Burrow’s 7 on 7 session yesterday, which is how it’s supposed to go. 

it’s just practice and he can still be a good player but right now he’s just a smallish QB with a pretty good arm and an injury history. Tua doesn’t have a fastball and doesn’t have any elite traits. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Camp is where you make mistakes, find out what not to do, and get better so this report doesn't mean anything to me. But thank goodness the Dolphins drafted Tua over Herbert. 

Camp is not where you just make mistakes.  Camp is where you are measured and/or earn a job.  

Right now Dane Jackson is battling with Levi Wallace for the #2 CB role.  Do you think the coaching staff is not going to take into account who struggles more?

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

Or pulling them when the game is on the line.

The media acting like Flores was some kind of genius with his "relief pitcher" was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Why draft a guy 5th overall if you dont trust him to win the game?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Or pulling them when the game is on the line.

The media acting like Flores was some kind of genius with his "relief pitcher" was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Why draft a guy 5th overall if you dont trust him to win the game?

It also made no sense wrt his development. He was down 10 points on the road in Denver with plenty of time left - hadn’t played terrible, just a bit tentative up to that point - why not see if he can bring the team back? It was only 10 points and Denver wasnt some juggernaut. I’m no genius but it seems you would want your future franchise QB to gain experience in those situations rather than be sheltered from them 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Camp is not where you just make mistakes.  

That's not even what I said. Coaches will challenge players more in camp to find out what they can and can't do well. 

Tom Brady throws more INTs in camp then the regular season.

All I'm saying is camp INTs doesn't mean much. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

I always remember Fitzpatrick crediting his experience as a scout team quarterback as giving him what he needed to be a starting QB.  He'd throw passes he knew that HE shouldn't make, but since he was being Aaron Rodgers, he'd let it rip....and it would work.  He realized he should let it rip and it gave him success.  Yes, it makes him a turnover machine at times, but works more than it doesn't and has given him more success than his talent should afford.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's not even what I said. Coaches will challenge players more in camp to find out what they can and can't do well. 

Tom Brady throws more INTs in camp then the regular season.

All I'm saying is camp INTs doesn't mean much. 

I would like to see something where Brady, on a 7 on 7 drill throws multiple INT's all the time.

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would like to see something where Brady, on a 7 on 7 drill throws multiple INT's all the time.

I know last year I read early on he was throwing picks. 

Camp is about learning from mistakes, especially QB. Obviously you don't want to be making mistakes throughout camp. Tua will learn from those INTs. The coaches will as well. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know last year I read early on he was throwing picks. 

Camp is about learning from mistakes, especially QB. Obviously you don't want to be making mistakes throughout camp. Tua will learn from those INTs. The coaches will as well. 

The concern here is there is no pass rush, it's OTA's.  Tua struggled last camp and already early on, in a 7 on 7 with no DL in front of him, still is turning it over.

You're not reading the same thing about Burrow or Herbert.  Even as raw as Allen was his rookie year, I don't remember him throwing 5 picks in a 7 on 7 session.

This is supposed to be a pitch and catch.

• Agree 1