Tua throws 5 picks on first day of Dolphins mini camp

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get that we like this and don't want to consider any 'excuses', but it was a torrential downpour. If this was an actual game, they wouldn't have been playing. 

The Dolphins fans are saying that this is a remarkable catching exhibition from their secondary in appalling conditions so whats not to like...?

• Haha (+1) 1

I mean while this would obviously be concerning I imagine the Dolphins are really emphasising taking chances and getting the ball out to Tua at the moment. His biggest issue in 2020 was being too safe. He didn't throw to guys who weren't wide open. At this stage of the offseason there might be an element of over compensating. Not to say this is good, it's not - and there was always the concern as to whether his arm is good enough to make tight window NFL throws. But conservatism was the first problem to tackle with Tua. If this season playing more aggressive he becomes a turn over machine then they will have to move on, but that is preferable to trying to prop him up another year playing small ball football and hiding his limitations. 

• Like (+1) 1

Noted tua homer

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mandatory reading for anyone actively participating in this thread.

7 picks over 6 TC practices with a live defense? Not a huge deal 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get that we like this and don't want to consider any 'excuses', but it was a torrential downpour. If this was an actual game, they wouldn't have been playing. 

When have they stopped a game due to rain?  If there was Lightning games get postponed, but they would of canceled practice if that was the case also.

They have played games in the aftermath of hurricanes with non-stop rain.  This is a potential playing condition that he might have to deal with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean while this would obviously be concerning I imagine the Dolphins are really emphasising taking chances and getting the ball out to Tua at the moment. His biggest issue in 2020 was being too safe. He didn't throw to guys who weren't wide open. At this stage of the offseason there might be an element of over compensating. Not to say this is good, it's not - and there was always the concern as to whether his arm is good enough to make tight window NFL throws. But conservatism was the first problem to tackle with Tua. If this season playing more aggressive he becomes a turn over machine then they will have to move on, but that is preferable to trying to prop him up another year playing small ball football and hiding his limitations. 

I agree, but it was noted that the throws were not real aggressive - so it did not sound like overcompensating- it sounded more like a very wet/heavy ball and bad placement/late throws.

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree, but it was noted that the throws were not real aggressive - so it did not sound like overcompensating- it sounded more like a very wet/heavy ball and bad placement/late throws.

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of the placement is about him holding it too long though. I don't mean aggressive in terms of chucking it down the field so much as I mean letting the ball go. He was scared to let it go. That is the absolute first thing to tackle. They might have to live with some picks even in the season but they can't win babying him. They have to be prepared to fail big to give him a chance to succeed IMO. You can't develop franchise QBs playing defense and running the ball then just asking them to make a few throws anymore. You have to take the risk that they suck by developing them throwing. 

Gunner - I totally agree - I took your aggressive comment as tighter window throws - not chucking it down field.  The comment from the reporter sounded like these were not even necessarily tight throws - they were late throws and with the water logged ball - slow and the defense got to them.  

Maybe in better weather those are completions and as others have said - it is June - he has a lot of time, but when you combine this with his being babied last year and not taking risks - even when supported by a top flight defense and couple that with a new OC - so many new things to learn - I am not sure they are developing a franchise QB properly.

I would say this staff has broken just about every rule for properly developing a QB they could.  They put him in before he was ready.  They let him play while injured- even if mild.  They pulled him in close and important games.  They babied him when he was the QB.  They switched OC after his first season. 

• Like (+1) 2