Josh Allen throwing out 1st pitch at 6/17 Blue Jays-Yankees game

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This looks just like my first cat, Janis.  Janis' death hit me hard and I still haven't gotten over it.  That was in 2007.  Thanks for setting the tone to my day.

For tempting the injury fates you deserve a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Faster than Sidd Finch!!!

image.png.493c8fcf4c188c55c3cd262a311e5d82.png

Quick, one of my fellow geezers out there! Do you remember the details of this story, and what his fastball was clocked at??

Yeh 120mph and it was a training camp scam Sports Illustrated story folks thought was real for  awhile... April Fools joke maybe?

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

It looks like Josh was a perfect 29/29 in stolen base attempts in HS. 

It also looks like he may have never hit a HS home run.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/josh-allen/TKQp1vTvEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/baseball/stats.htm

Jeeeeze 6’3” and a buck eighty? He must have been a twig.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jeeeeze 6’3” and a buck eighty? He must have been a twig.

You watch your mouth. I’m basically the same size, an inch shorter, but am a full grown adult. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

😂 and how would that wiry frame take a 250lb linebacker to the rib cage?

I was just talking to somebody about this the other day, but in regards to football pads. Like on one hand they’ve become a weapon. Guys are just torpedoing their bodies at each other. But on the other hand, a guy like Ray Lewis hitting me at full speed without pads might stop my heart.

But seriously, I could die. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:19 PM, Kwai San said:

Supposedly 168 altho I find THAT hard to believe.....of course it WAS Aprils Fools.....

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh 120mph and it was a training camp scam Sports Illustrated story folks thought was real for  awhile... April Fools joke maybe?

@Kwai Sanwas right. It was 168 mph.

So this was an article written by George Plimpton for the April 1, 1985, issue of Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2014/10/15/curious-case-sidd-finch

The preface to the article (i.e. the teaser prior to the body of it) was:

"He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga—and his future in baseball." (HINT: Pay close attention to the first letter of each word.)

Most people missed the joke, and thought the Mets had actually signed an eccentric prospect with mystical abilities. There was a huge clamor to see him pitch, so SI had to come clean and tell everybody that it was an April Fool's joke. Many thousands of uptight ninnies became irate at the thought of falling for it, and swore they were cancelling their subscriptions (back when paper magazines and subscriptions to them were a thing). I doubt many did, because SI became even bigger after that.

Just a fun, wacky story us old guys might remember.

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, TAinLA said:

he'll be throwing a heater, most likely a 2 seam or 4 seam laser - hope he doesn't take out the catcher.

2 seam for sure. he never mastered accuracy on the 4 seam. Question is....over/under 92 mph??

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Faster than Sidd Finch!!!

image.png.493c8fcf4c188c55c3cd262a311e5d82.png

Quick, one of my fellow geezers out there! Do you remember the details of this story, and what his fastball was clocked at??

I watch baseball, saw your post and thought "who the heck is Sidd Finch??" Never heard of him! The pic u posted was interesting so I had to Google it. Lol pretty amazing story. 

• Thank you (+1) 1