Chris Trapasso (CBSSports) young quarterback outlook series - Josh Allen

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-allen-2021-outlook-evaluating-the-bills-qb-and-how-he-can-sustain-mvp-level-play-in-year-4/

Other quarterbacks he has looked at:

Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold

In general, very positive with some good analysis.

Posted the wrong link originally .. thanks for pointing it out eball

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, eball said:

This is an article about Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers.

CBS Sports seems to have a problem with this. I posted the link to one of their articles recently, and it was also for the wrong story. Fortunately, I caught and edited it right away.

Re the actual article, Trapasso is very positive on Josh's supporting cast. This is what he has to say about the running backs and OL:

"The Bills miraculously return their entire offensive line from a year ago, a sturdy unit at tackle and center that does feature some inconsistencies at guard. Pro Football Focus recently ranked Buffalo's blocking unit as the 13th-best in the league. 

Devin Singletary and Zack Moss sit atop the running back depth chart. Their collective lack of explosive capabilities have sparked negative narratives about the two young backs, but they've proven to be among the most elusive, hard-to-tackle runners in football."

I hope these two units take a step up this year. No mention is made of Breida, or of the tight end situation.

27 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Good article but was Allen really a laughing stock draft prospect?!

I mean, they were proven wrong but yeah, to most “analysts” he was at the time. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean Mona Like a literally screeched when she heard the pick.

...you mean Mona Lisa?

Anyway, the "hate" for Allen after he was drafted is completely overblown.

He was a projected 1st rounder.  Just watch his college games and you can see why.  He might have been drafted slightly high in said round.

Bad completion percentage?  Gun slinger mentality that might cause him to turn the ball over a lot in the pros?  Yeah.  LAUGHING STOCK of a pick?  Give me a break. 

It was (and continues to be) the weirdest after-the-fact media-fueled narrative I may have ever seen.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

...you mean Mona Lisa?

He was a projected 1st rounder.  Just watch his college games and you can see why.  He might have been drafted slightly high in said round.

Bad completion percentage?  Gun slinger mentality that might cause him to turn the ball over a lot in the pros?  Yeah.  LAUGHING STOCK of a pick?  Give me a break. 

It was (and continues to be) the weirdest after-the-fact media-fueled narrative I may have ever seen.

Mina Kimes.

Edited by Warcodered

Yeah, this laughing stock business is total nonsense. Every professional talent evaluator and serious analyst at the time was in awe of Allen’s physical ability. Only question was whether he would develop, which is pretty much a question you have to ask about almost any prospect entering the pros, but most especially at the quarterback position. As I said after we drafted him, he was absolutely worthy of a high first round pick. If we didn’t take him he would be in Arizona, who picked right after us.

As matters have developed Allen looks to be almost unique as a difference maker. True Beane has surrounded him with talent but even with Diggs, who arrived in Allen’s third year,  it is still less than what for example Aikman was given to work with right away after the H. Walker trade. From the get go Allen has personally done more to raise his offence’s level of play than any QB I can think of, including even in his first year (with Luck and Vick being possible exceptions). Lousy teams can ruin a great QB prospect (Jeff George) or cause a very good one to quit or never have the success he should (Luck, Stafford). Allen is in good hands but the lion’s share of the credit goes to him. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

...you mean Mona Lisa?

I don't know...I remember the reaction to the pick being pretty visceral, in a bad way.  I think he definitely had his supporters, but they were far outweighed by the negative takes of so many of the amature "professional" draft handi-cappers.  Didn't one of them famously say that he was a "parody of a first round pick", or something like that?  A lot of fans buy into what these goof-balls say.

Edited by Buftex

35 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I don't know...I remember the reaction to the pick being pretty visceral, in a bad way.  I think he definitely had his supporters, but they were far outweighed by the negative takes of so many of the amature "professional" draft handi-cappers.  Didn't one of them famously say that he was a "parody of a first round pick", or something like that?  A lot of fans buy into what these goof-balls say.

I believe the "parody of an NFL prospect" quote is from Football Outsiders and is pre-draft.  It doesn't even place him in a round.  PFF also said his college stats have never translated to the NFL, and has since reported on him with a tone begrudging any of his success.

There was plenty of pre-draft praise for Allen, aside from those sites.  NFL.com projected him in the first.  Walter Football had him in the top 10.  CBS Sports had him top 5.  Even BR had him Rd 1 (this is only the first page of results from Google).  Nobody was laughing when he was picked, and no one was surprised.  

Since then, it's been said he was a "laughing stock" of a pick, with little-to-no basis.  People are really polarized on Allen SINCE he came out.  I can only surmise that they really don't like the potential for their "bust" predictions to be wrong.  Thing is, people are wrong on this every year (especially about Mahomes)....but something about Allen has had them up in arms for the past three years; re-writing history, even.  I'm telling you, it's bizarre.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah, this laughing stock business is total nonsense. Every professional talent evaluator and serious analyst at the time was in awe of Allen’s physical ability. Only question was whether he would develop, which is pretty much a question you have to ask about almost any prospect entering the pros, but most especially at the quarterback position. As I said after we drafted him, he was absolutely worthy of a high first round pick. If we didn’t take him he would be in Arizona, who picked right after us.

As matters have developed Allen looks to be almost unique as a difference maker. True Beane has surrounded him with talent but even with Diggs, who arrived in Allen’s third year,  it is still less than what for example Aikman was given to work with right away after the H. Walker trade. From the get go Allen has personally done more to raise his offence’s level of play than any QB I can think of, including even in his first year (with Luck and Vick being possible exceptions). Lousy teams can ruin a great QB prospect (Jeff George) or cause a very good one to quit or never have the success he should (Luck, Stafford). Allen is in good hands but the lion’s share of the credit goes to him. 

Yeah - the issue was the guys that are true “talent evaluators”  - scouts, former GMs, guys like Kiper - all raved about Allen - his build, arm strength, playing ability.  The guys that were pushing metrics - win %, completion %, Interception %, “catchable balls”, interceptable passes - places like PFF and the like - panned the pick because based on metrics he was destined to be a bust.  

Therefore those metric guys have pushed a stupid narrative to try and protect themselves and unfortunately because they are not paid by teams, but by clicks - they keep pushing a stupid narrative.  They guys that evaluate based on film have been right in this case and that steams the metric guys because it blows all of their stupid formulas up because Allen has done something they said could not be done based upon their studies and that was be successful and increase his play.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Therefore those metric guys have pushed a stupid narrative to try and protect themselves and unfortunately because they are not paid by teams, but by clicks - they keep pushing a stupid narrative.  They guys that evaluate based on film have been right in this case and that steams the metric guys because it blows all of their stupid formulas up because Allen has done something they said could not be done based upon their studies and that was be successful and increase his play.

Well maybe they need to find some way of incorporating other things into metrics. 

Some experts had Josh as the best QB in the draft. And.. they were right ! And everyone had him in the first round. LJ was the most debated by far. So while some were not sold on him as franchise QB, certainly not a laughing stock. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well maybe they need to find some way of incorporating other things into metrics. 

They need to incorporate a lot of things, but without access to the players - the metric people only have the numbers and therefore they need that to work. The metric people have no way to quantify things like heart, drive, intelligence, competitiveness, etc - so they can not include that.

It was easy when their made up numbers seemed to work, but they struggle to identify certain players that have something in their makeup that drives them.  The tape and numbers can’t identify that - so it is easier to just hope he fails.

For some players (unfortunately Tom Brady is a perfect example) both metric and scouts fail to identify them.  Those are the guys that are late round/UDFAs that hit big.  Sometimes Metrics are right and scouts are wrong and sometimes scouts are right and metrics fail.  That is life.

Edited by Rochesterfan

Favorite line in the article is "Allen was a top 3 quarterback last season. I expect him to stay in the top 5 range in 2021 as the intimidating leader of one of the best and most electric teams in the NFL."

It's great to be on the other side of the equation whereby the Bills starting QB is an intimidating figure for the opposition. 

• Agree 1