Bills Mandatory Minicamp June 15-16

Star was never a massive human being anyway, so I’m not surprised he showed up to camp lighter. I’ve long complained about how small he was to play a position Ted Washington excelled in - and as much as we hope he’ll come in to save the run defense, I cannot forget his mediocre play, frequent stalemate single blocks, and how he was losing snaps to Horrible Harry before his ACL injury. I remain skeptical about the guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Star was never a massive human being anyway, so I’m not surprised he showed up to camp lighter. I’ve long complained about how small he was to play a position Ted Washington excelled in - and as much as we hope he’ll come in to save the run defense, I cannot forget his mediocre play, frequent stalemate single blocks, and how he was losing snaps to Horrible Harry before his ACL injury. I remain skeptical about the guy.

If you’re off target here, I fear it might not be by much, and feel your reservations about Star have some validity.  Rather than “skeptical” though, I prefer to be optimistic that Star comes out looking well-rested and fired up.  Best case is that Mr. Horrible does too, and between the two of them over 17 games, they can provide even a marginal improvement over our cumulative 1T performance last year.  To whatever degree they do, it’s likely to show up big time in our overall D performance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

and Phillips plays at or around 307lbs, same as Star. Height difference is negligible.

Hodgins showing up again
Isaiah Hodgins was out of the red jersey for the first time on Tuesday, a welcome sight for the second-year receiver. He’s been dealing with a shoulder injury since college and got it corrected with surgery this offseason. After spending all of last year on injured reserve, Hodgins has consistently looked sharp during spring practices. On Tuesday, Hodgins caught three more passes. He narrowly missed catching a fourth on a contested deep ball. It was noteworthy to see a ball intended for Hodgins hit the ground, because it hasn’t happened often this spring.

“Isaiah, I think is off to a phenomenal start again because of his process and the offseason,” McDermott said. “He got himself healthy and now here we stand in the last week of offseason practices and I think he’s putting himself in position to make a real move. So that remains to be seen, obviously, with work to be done, but I’m very proud of his mindset and the way he’s gotten himself physically ready to go.”

McDermott isn’t typically that effusive in his praise, but Hodgins’ performance has warranted it. We’ve mentioned him repeatedly in this space, but that’s because he’s consistently making plays during every practice. The Bills have a deep wide receiver depth chart, so Hodgins will have to keep up this performance to make the 53-man roster. But he’s showing serious potential as an outside receiver. His hands are steady, he’s a smooth route runner and he’s not afraid to go get the ball in contested situations. Even as a late-round pick in 2020, Hodgins looks like a player worth keeping. He has to show it when the pads come on and stay healthy, but so far, so good.

Basham showing some encouraging early signs

Basham was disruptive on a handful of reps as the Bills continued to give him quality reps against good competition. Working against left tackle Dion Dawkins, Basham was able to disengage quickly enough to deflect a pass straight into the air. Cornerback Tre’Davious White settled in perfectly underneath the tipped throw to the defense’s right side, picked off the Josh Allen pass and sprinted for the end zone. If it hadn’t been for Basham, the short pass likely would have been completed. Later in the session, Basham worked his way into the backfield against the guard to help provide some pressure against the offense.

Josh Allen looks comfortable with his top targets
Stefon Diggs hasn’t been at every spring practice for the Bills, but he’s back in town now and hasn’t missed a beat. Josh Allen connected with Diggs for four catches on Tuesday during team drills, a healthy target share for Buffalo’s No. 1 receiver. As one would expect, Allen looks a lot more locked in and efficient with Diggs and Emmanuel Sanders on the field. And Diggs looks as quick as ever, gaining separation with ease. Sanders also hauled in all three of his targets from Allen. 

Phillips gets plenty of work even with Lotulelei’s return
The Bills were eager to get Lotulelei into practice this week to begin getting him back up to speed after a year away from football. However, they also took it extremely slow with their top one-technique defensive tackle. Lotulelei only took part in positional drills and remained along the sidelines for the entirety of team drills Tuesday. Those potential vacated reps had to go somewhere, and fourth-year one-technique Harrison Phillips stayed very busy throughout the day.

Phillips has gained the most from Lotulelei’s absences throughout the spring in the form of opportunity. The team’s hybrid defensive tackle Vernon Butler vacated some one-technique snaps for Phillips, as Butler remained absent from voluntary OTAs. Butler worked into team drills a little during minicamp on Tuesday, but he was also mostly glued to the sidelines during that portion.

Quintin Morris takes advantage of opportunity

The Bills were a bit light at tight end during the practice due to injuries, with Reggie Gilliam not participating in team drills and Jake Hollister sitting out of the session entirely. That left only Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney, Nate Becker, Morris and tryout player Bug Howard. Morris is a bit of a smaller tight end like Gilliam. Morris is 6-foot-2 and 255 pounds, and his athleticism could help provide a bit more versatility than what the Bills would get out of Sweeney or Becker. During team drills, Morris was taking advantage of the reps, showing some good speed and hands. He easily brought in a pass from Josh Allen on a short attempt and then showed off some good movement skills after the catch. The injuries in front of him helped, but the Bills seem to be putting a bit more on Morris than what you’d expect this time of year from an undrafted rookie. File his name away as one to watch to see if his positive play continues once the pads go on in late July. 

• Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Likewise, I have pined for a bigger 1 tech.  Oh well, we've got what we've got.  I expect roughly a 50/50 split in reps between Star and Harrison.  With Phillips more fully recovered from his major surgery and Lotulelei being a little more fit than usual, maybe that rotation will keep them pretty fresh this year.  The main thing I'm hoping is that Oliver doesn't get stuck having to take a lot of reps at 1 tech.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His wife wasn't ready for him to retire and walk away from an otherwise guaranteed $10M? :lol:

Who are these people who thought he was going to retire?

Eric Wood had a busted up neck and he wouldn't retire........he made Beane PAY him his guarantees before he would sign off.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hodgins stepping up will really force some decisions.

At worst it adds an interesting storyline to camp.

We've seen a bunch of WR's who were great in OTA's but were immediate non-factors when the intensity ramps up.

Most recent was Ray Ray........that guy looked like the best player on the field in OTA's and even in camp practices at times..........you'd have sworn Isaiah McKenzie had no chance to beat that dude out.........then when the preseason games started their roles reversed. 

Duke Williams makes me hesitant to put too much into this but every media member at minicamp has said Hodgins stood out today. I guess his path to the roster would be McKenzie sticking as the primary kick returner which lets Hodgins take Andre Roberts' spot.

10 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Those In throws look sharp. 

Point of emphasis for the offense this season, according to a report or two last week. Something they want to add/refine to evolve the passing attack (and hopefully stay ahead of defensive coordinators using playoff tape to parrot how the Ravens and Chiefs effectively "contained" Allen and his WRs in those games). 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

At worst it adds an interesting storyline to camp.

We've seen a bunch of WR's who were great in OTA's but were immediate non-factors when the intensity ramps up.

Most recent was Ray Ray........that guy looked like the best player on the field in OTA's and even in camp practices at times..........you'd have sworn Isaiah McKenzie had no chance to beat that dude out.........then when the preseason games started their roles reversed. 

But Hodgins was flashing at the beginning of last training camp as well, before the injury sidelined him. He was possibly ahead of Davis at the time.

I'm hoping these reports (from the last two offseasons) is simply who he is: a young boundary WR with size (one of today's blurbs emphasized his outside skillset), like Gabriel Davis, who the coaches can't keep off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

But Hodgins was flashing at the beginning of last training camp as well, before the injury sidelined him. He was possibly ahead of Davis at the time.

I'm hoping these reports (from the last two offseasons) is simply who he is: a young boundary WR with size (one of today's blurbs emphasized his outside skillset), like Gabriel Davis, who the coaches can't keep off the field. 

Agreed Noggin.  Remember how JB raved about how well prepared both Hodgins and Davis were before camp last year.  He should be a good outside sideline WR.

• Agree 1