Bills Mandatory Minicamp June 15-16

11 hours ago, eball said:

Dude.  Nobody's saying a player would voluntarily walk away from a multimillion dollar payday but that doesn't mean everything else Star said isn't true.  Money or not, these guys put their bodies through hell to play this game at a high level.  If you're not "all in" you're doing yourself and your team a disservice.

You are simply so hell bent on your trashing of Star you won't even allow the slightest crack of light to shine through the door that perhaps he can be a productive member of the Bills' D line this season.  Apparently Beane is lying, McD is lying, his teammates are lying -- all for what?  Beane hasn't shown he's afraid to admit a contract mistake and move on, and McD makes everyone earn their playing time.  What is the angle here?

Oh, that's right -- you know everything about football and we're all just here to soak in your wisdom.  Party on.

1) "Dude".......YES you can't be discussing Star retiring and NOT be discussing the fact that doing so would mean forfeiting $10M.    It was never going to happen because of that.   He can say whatever he wants.........talk is A LOT cheaper for Star than retiring.:lol:

2) No, I don't think McD is lying.   He went out of his way to express displeasure about Star not showing up to any of the voluntary OTA's.   This week he threw more shade on him by saying he had "a lot of work to do in the next month" to be ready for camp when he has had the past 18 months to get himself ready to play!😉   

3) As usual you are looking at my opinion thru your hyper-emotional eyes.   I am not you.   The Bills are all entertainment to me.   Win or lose.   Same with TSW.   What you see as emotionally "hell bent" is just me making legitimate arguments and/or making fun of a topic of interest to Bills fans.   If discussing Star Lotulelei depresses you then you should ask your doctor about "less football".   Maybe you wouldn't have regrettably dropped your 24 year season tickets after the 2016 season if you had your hobby in the proper perspective.   The journey = the reward.    Instead you had to hear me gloat about being at both home playoff games this past January while you were cryin' them tears of remorse into your pillow of regret. :flirt:  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What Sal said on WGR: Sanders had a tough day today. He had a clean drop and then a miscommunication with Allen. He didn’t have a particularly good day but these things happen, that’s why you have mini camps. 

I’ve kind of been getting a bit of “I’m great, I’ve played with the 49ers and Saints plus I know this offense from SMU” vibe from Sanders.

Hopefully this is a wake up call thst maybe he needs to put in some time getting on the same page with Allen

10 hours ago, WideNine said:

I remember the other... and I do agree with much of the X's and O's with Bado, and he is not that far off base with the cap management stance. He and I locked horns often when I was posting way back when as Left Overture.

He may have banned me at one point I got so under his skin (its a gift) 🤣

Water under the bridge and all that - when you roll back all the layers and how folks can rub you the wrong way on the board you realize they just desperately want the Bills to make the right moves that they think will help them win it all. Where you have passionate fans you have volatile interactions because they care.

OK - that was my attempt at a commercial break - now back to our regularly-scheduled squabbling.

I don't recall a back and forth with anyone named "Left Overture".  

What were you wrong about?  :devil:

And I definitely didn't ban you.    I have never been a moderator on this site.

Contrary to what you perceived it's unlikely you got under my skin.........I'm still actively posting here because I don't take it that seriously.........people quit posting because they get mad about the tenor of the board or what people are allowed to say to them or board politics etc..   That's more real estate than I am selling.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) "Dude".......YES you can't be discussing Star retiring and NOT be discussing the fact that doing so would mean forfeiting $10M.    It was never going to happen because of that.   He can say whatever he wants.........talk is A LOT cheaper for Star than retiring.:lol:

2) No, I don't think McD is lying.   He went out of his way to express displeasure about Star not showing up to any of the voluntary OTA's.   This week he threw more shade on him by saying he had "a lot of work to do in the next month" to be ready for camp when he has had the past 18 months to get himself ready to play!😉   

3) As usual you are looking at my opinion thru your hyper-emotional eyes.   I am not you.   The Bills are all entertainment to me.   Win or lose.   Same with TSW.   What you see as emotionally "hell bent" is just me making legitimate arguments and/or making fun of a topic of interest to Bills fans.   If discussing Star Lotulelei depresses you then you should ask your doctor about "less football".   Maybe you wouldn't have regrettably dropped your 24 year season tickets after the 2016 season if you had your hobby in the proper perspective.   The journey = the reward.    Instead you had to hear me gloat about being at both home playoff games this past January while you were cryin' them tears of remorse into your pillow of regret. :flirt:  

Like I said………

14 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Sanders got cut. McKenzie, Hodgins, and Stevenson should be decent depth behind Diggs, Gabe, and Beas.

That’s not happening

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't recall a back and forth with anyone named "Left Overture".  

What were you wrong about?  :devil:

And I definitely didn't ban you.    I have never been a moderator on this site.

Contrary to what you perceived it's unlikely you got under my skin.........I'm still actively posting here because I don't take it that seriously.........people quit posting because they get mad about the tenor of the board or what people are allowed to say to them or board politics etc..   That's more real estate than I am selling.  

You actively posting here because your ban ended

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are a strange dude.  You say you’re not emotional…that’s a good one.  Perhaps you should also look up the definition of “hypocritical” — you claim that football is entertainment and non-emotional, then criticize someone who lives in NC for getting tired of a bad product and not continuing to spend his entertainment dollars on said product.  Hello?  McFly?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Sanders got cut. McKenzie, Hodgins, and Stevenson should be decent depth behind Diggs, Gabe, and Beas.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sanders retired.  Sounds to me like he realized that he is starting to fall behind with guys in the league and guys coming into the league.  This could have been a wake up call for him, since he didn't show up to many OTAs.

• Vomit 3

One thing I liked about the Matt Milano interview was his refusal to blame his health for his slow start back from injury.  He owned his level of play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sanders retired.  Sounds to me like he realized that he is starting to fall behind with guys in the league and guys coming into the league.  This could have been a wake up call for him, since he didn't show up to many OTAs.

It will be interesting to watch over the summer.  The WR room has depth and competition.  Might be some surprises at the end.  I continue to worry about WR injuries like we had last year.  These guys took a pounding last year and they culminated in the AFCCG.  

8 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

It will be interesting to watch over the summer.  The WR room has depth and competition.  Might be some surprises at the end.  I continue to worry about WR injuries like we had last year.  These guys took a pounding last year and they culminated in the AFCCG.  

I think they will keep 7 WRs and 3 TEs this year vs 6 WRs and 4 TEs as they have in the past. It is a WR-centric offense and I think one of the new athletic OTs can take over the Lee Smith role. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will keep 7 WRs and 3 TEs this year vs 6 WRs and 4 TEs as they have in the past. It is a WR-centric offense and I think one of the new athletic OTs can take over the Lee Smith role. 

It might depend on how many of the WRs and TEs they like are practice-squad eligible.

Not too sure i agree that its a WR-centric offense.  Its more of a "get open and catch the ball" offense, which is why we value receivers who are great route-runners.  I think that's why we dont see production from our TE group.  But if the TEs start showing that real real soon, we could keep 4.

With Josh's big arm, and his willingness to throw downfield, I think a TE who can get upfield could stick, over a WR. 

And wrt the running game, I agree (now) with the legion of posters who maintain that it wasnt as bad as we thought (now that I've re-watched 3 games in the past week).  But it seems that for inside-running, a TE would be more valuable than a WR.  Especially if that TE and the offense generally, have shown that the guy can get open and will catch the ball.

Edited by maddenboy

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What Sal said on WGR: Sanders had a tough day today. He had a clean drop and then a miscommunication with Allen. He didn’t have a particularly good day but these things happen, that’s why you have mini camps. 

Not that we actually know anything, but it's interesting to think that he might not make the final 53, or he might voluntarily retire.  Both of those things are possible, but I'd guess that's not happening.   

These guys stay in great shape, and although it's true that guys hit the wall sometimes, I think it's more likely that he's physically the same guy this year that he was last year, and that's easily good enough to play from a physical point of view.  

Also, the Bills wouldn't have signed him if he weren't an intense competitor - that's McBeane's M.O.  And we heard enough from Sanders and about him in the off-season to know that he's all about winning.  

Finally, I think the Bills really value his experience and attention to detail.  They brought him in because he offers the precision in route running and I think other aspects of the game that Brown wasn't as good at.  I expect he'll work his way into an important role with Diggs and Beas.  Three pros.

So there are all those things that suggest that he's likely to be the number 2 receiver or, at worst, the number 4.  

Having said that, however, it's quite possible that Hodgins or someone else continues to grow and sometime during the season takes the roster spot from Sanders.  

Something I realized a few years ago in talking about the future of Zay Jones was that the #4 spot on the receiving depth chart, and even more so the #5 spot, is not simply about how good your are.   The #4 receiver isn't necessarily the 4th best receiver; it's the guy who helps the team most in that role.  So if Davis makes the starting three, then even thought Sanders almost certainly would be the fourth best receiver on the team, he might be at risk, depending on what the Bills expect of the #4 spot.   Even Sanders doesn't get the 4 spot, he almost certainly won't be kept around to take the 5 spot.   

It will be interesting to see.  

6 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

It might depend on how many of the WRs and TEs they like are practice-squad eligible.

Not too sure i agree that its a WR-centric offense.  Its more of a "get open and catch the ball" offense, which is why we value receivers who are great route-runners.  I think that's why we dont see production from our TE group.  But if the TEs start showing that real real soon, we could keep 4.

With Josh's big arm, and his willingness to throw downfield, I think a TE who can get upfield could stick, over a WR. 

And wrt the running game, I agree (now) with the legion of posters who maintain that it wasnt as bad as we thought (now that I've re-watched 3 games in the past week).  But it seems that for inside-running, a TE would be more valuable than a WR.  Especially if that TE and the offense generally, have shown that the guy can get open and will catch the ball.

I agree. And especially if the Bills don't have a true blocking back, they'll need a TE who fills the H-back role.   I think the Bills will have four tight ends.  

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I can't comment on your state of surprise

Teams with minimal cap space don't generally sign a guy for $6M with $5.9M guaranteed if they anticipate cutting said guy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

So as has been explained elsewhere numerous times - NFL guaranteed salaries for veteran players are usually guaranteed for skill, injury, and cap.  Meaning if the player is cut because someone else is deemed better, or because he's injured, or because the team needs to fit under the cap - nopenope, player still gets his $$.

NFL salaries are NOT guaranteed for retirement.  You retire, you don't get your guaranteed salary and the team can request repayment of amortized signing bonus.

This is why Eric Wood gave a retirement press conference in which he carefully did not use the word "retire", and stayed on the roster until he failed his physical and was released the following season.

So contrary to your lack of surprise, I would be extremely surprised if Sanders handed back $6M in earnings to the Bills by retiring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So contrary to your lack of surprise, I would be extremely surprised if Sanders handed back $6M in earnings to the Bills by retiring.

I agree, except for this: He has made $62 million through 2020. After tax, call it $35 million.  Spend $1 million a year to live, leaves $25 million. Plus investment earnings, he easily has over $30 million saved, maybe as much as $50. 

A guy in that position, a guy with integrity, if he isn't enjoying it anymore, might actually walk from the $6 million. 

All pure speculation.