Wyoming article on Allen, Gentry, and Hollister - including Josh's role in bringing them in

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Some interesting tidbits on their Wyoming days but especially about Josh's going to bat for them.  It is a bit of a slippery slope as when someone is cut the questions about whether Josh went to bat for some other player will come up (John Brown wondering whether the FO asked Josh about keeping him), but it is an interesting comparison to GBay who does not listen to Aaron Rodgers on player decisions.

A couple of other nuggets:

• Josh feels Tanner Gentry has the strongest hands of a WR he has worked with
  • They have great chemistry (i.e., he knows where they will be on the field)
  •  

https://www.wyomingnews.com/wyosports/university_of_wyoming/football/josh-allen-tanner-gentry-jacob-hollister-basking-in-reunion-with-bills/article_2d14960d-b0e2-57fb-b191-73882535da2d.html

Thanks for sharing.  

It was impossible to watch Josh's Wyoming highlights and miss Gentry.  I agree with your later post that he likely makes his living on the PS.  He spent a lot of time on the Bears PS and didn't get poached, I think he would be safe there.

I have wanted Gentry here for a long time, funny when they finally get him, I don't know if he has a spot.  WR went from the dregs to a fantastic and deep positional group!  

20 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with the posts above that say that Hollister makes the team and that Gentry either ends up getting cut or on the PS.  Hollister is an established NFL player who had a decent run with the Seahwaks and he plays a position of need.  Gentry's NFL career hasn't really gotten off the ground and he plays a position where the team has a lot of depth.  Josh's influence may have gotten his friend a shot at making another NFL team and a few bucks in his pocket, but I don't think it's enough to get him a spot on the 53.  If he makes it as a 6th or 7th WR, he'll have to earn it.

I agree but I do think Josh will do what he can to help Gentry but Gentry still has to get open for that to be of any help to him. From what I remember a big thing with Allen and Gentry was their brains seemed to be linked on broken plays/scrambles.

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I agree but I do think Josh will do what he can to help Gentry but Gentry still has to get open for that to be of any help to him. From what I remember a big thing with Allen and Gentry was their brains seemed to be linked on broken plays/scrambles.

Hanging on the Bills PS could be good for Gentry

One thing that was obvious last season was how much the route running in the WR room had improved.  McKenzie improved markedly at times - you could see it on the NextGen stats route charts between last year and this.  Gabe Davis improved from college.  Even Brown to my eyes was running better routes at times.  Whether it's the WR (Diggs, Bease) or the WR coach (Chad Hall).  The chance to hang on the PS and hone his routes could only do him good, and having some experience with Trubisky throwing to him could only help.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The chance to hang on the PS and hone his routes could only do him good, and having some experience with Trubisky throwing to him could only help.

I had not thought of that.  If our coach gets poached for a HC position he may bring Trubisky and Gentry.  Fitzpatrick and Steveie Johnson honed their timing and understanding of each other when each were backups.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One thing that was obvious last season was how much the route running in the WR room had improved.  McKenzie improved markedly at times - you could see it on the NextGen stats route charts between last year and this.  Gabe Davis improved from college.  Even Brown to my eyes was running better routes at times.  Whether it's the WR (Diggs, Bease) or the WR coach (Chad Hall).  The chance to hang on the PS and hone his routes could only do him good, and having some experience with Trubisky throwing to him could only help.

Regarding route running last year, the significant improvement I saw was the continued effort by the WRs when Josh had to scramble..  Their ability to find the open spot for Allen significantly improved, particularly with Diggs and Beasley.  

• Like (+1) 1

I suspect that Josh’s influence goes as far as; “we should give these guys a tryout” and it ends there, no smart HC/GM let’s personal recommendations go beyond that, if those guys beat out others for a spot so be it, if not, so be it, but they will have to prove their worth. I see Hollister being the one who makes the team, and likely takes targets away from Knox, we shall see…, competition, competition, competition.

Go Bills!!!

27 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Prolly meant Kelvin Benjamin or Zay Jones 😂

I mean Gentry did have some ridiculous catches at Wyoming.

Also I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier but a QB in the NFL that's already worked with Gentry is Mitch Trubisky.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It’s nice to see in that video how much Hollister was trusted by Allen, and he looked more athletic than I imagined. This may mean Allen might look a little more to the TE than he did last year which would give defenses more to defend

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect that Josh’s influence goes as far as; “we should give these guys a tryout” and it ends there, no smart HC/GM let’s personal recommendations go beyond that, if those guys beat out others for a spot so be it, if not, so be it, but they will have to prove their worth. I see Hollister being the one who makes the team, and likely takes targets away from Knox, we shall see…, competition, competition, competition.

Go Bills!!!

A big difference I think both of them, Gentry and Hollister, will work out with Josh during sessions with Jordan Palmer which will help with timing that will give them an advantage in training camp.  Daboll also includes plays Allen likes and he will like plays which Gentry and Hollister can execute successfully.  Both Gentry and Hollister should be working with private tutors to improve their blocking ability since this staff likes multifaceted players.

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

It is a long season (and even longer this time round with 17 games). There will be enough balls for both Hollister and Gentry. There will even be enough balls for a certain Duke Williams.

I havent seen anyone mention The Duke in several weeks. 

I don't think Duke OR Gentry nake this team. Bills have to resolve the special teams/ return game and neither is known as a ST standout .

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

A big difference I think both of them, Gentry and Hollister, will work out with Josh during sessions with Jordan Palmer which will help with timing that will give them an advantage in training camp.  Daboll also includes plays Allen likes and he will like plays which Gentry and Hollister can execute successfully.  Both Gentry and Hollister should be working with private tutors to improve their blocking ability since this staff likes multifaceted players.

Could be, but, I think letting a seven TD guy like Little Dirty go for a guy like Gentry would  be a pretty big move, that’s why I think Hollister as a TE is more likely to be the guy making the 53, Gentry is gonna have to be able to give what Lil Dirty gives and more to make this team, could it happen? Sure, but imo it’s unlikely outside of a PS gig, we shall see, 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Not that he shouldn't work out, but from what I saw Hollister is a solid blocker.  I would say, better than Knox although like everything else - the thing with Knox is consistency.

Dunno about Gentry.  Kumerow can block pretty durn well though.

Knox said he spent 6 weeks in Cali working with the eye trainer dude and he was working out with Allen also.

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh loves him some Jacob Hollister.

What a game. 

Difficult to watch that highlight reel (I know, I know...highlights aren't film) and NOT draft Josh Allen. You saw all his traits on display in that game from five football seasons ago. You can see why the more mixed results his next and final college year didn't sink him in the eyes of some evaluators...luckily including ours. 

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

I don't think Duke OR Gentry nake this team. Bills have to resolve the special teams/ return game and neither is known as a ST standout .

Spots are also available on PS and, given the long season, PS guys will get some game day checks. Unless you believe Duke or Gentry will not even make PS.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have to wonder if it's a bit of a mistake for the overall team chemistry bringing "his guys" back in for Allen. 

It's not going to take targets away from Diggs, Beasley, Sanders or Davis - but I'm a bit concerned that bottom of the roster players who have put in the "grind" here like McKenzie, Kumerow, Williams, Gilliam, Becker might feel that they don't have a "fair chance" based on talent because of the prior connection that Allen has with Hollister and Gentry.

Make no mistake, Gentry and Allen are tight.  Allen was in Tanner's wedding.  Allen hosted Gentry at his Orange County house before a big "Wyo friends" get together in the Palm Desert this spring; they refer to each other as "Fam".

Meanwhile, people who know more about scouting than I do ( @Buffalo716 ) tell me if we have Gentry and Kumerow as WR options we're in trouble.

It's something where the coaches need to be crystal clear on what the evaluation process is at the bottom of the roster and build trust that it's merit-based.

Man, Wyo's defense just sucked.

I think at least Hollister deserves his spot based on merit, regardless of his ties to Josh. I don't think Beane is going to let this team become the Lakers and promote LeJosh to GM2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Regarding route running last year, the significant improvement I saw was the continued effort by the WRs when Josh had to scramble..  Their ability to find the open spot for Allen significantly improved, particularly with Diggs and Beasley.  

That improved, certainly, but for example, check this out:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/isaiah-mckenzie/MCK250948/2020/17/route

That should take you to this, Week 17 last year:

image.thumb.png.ec01a954e5d1449699a32d2c9766c56a.png

Look at how sharp the breaks are on some of those routes and how well-defined they are.

Now compare with this from 2018.  You see

1) his route-running vocabulary is much smaller

2) on some routes where there could or should be a sharp break, there isn't.

image.thumb.png.86d59aefabfc8fa8ded606746f66b6d2.png

image.thumb.png.efd2954403c83c97d4ee6fd5ad37394f.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Spots are also available on PS and, given the long season, PS guys will get some game day checks. Unless you believe Duke or Gentry will not even make PS.

It depends if NFL will be using 2019 rules PS, 2020 enhanced rules PS or some other set of rules.

The NFL has not announced yet.