Wyoming article on Allen, Gentry, and Hollister - including Josh's role in bringing them in

Some interesting tidbits on their Wyoming days but especially about Josh's going to bat for them.  It is a bit of a slippery slope as when someone is cut the questions about whether Josh went to bat for some other player will come up (John Brown wondering whether the FO asked Josh about keeping him), but it is an interesting comparison to GBay who does not listen to Aaron Rodgers on player decisions.

A couple of other nuggets:

• Josh feels Tanner Gentry has the strongest hands of a WR he has worked with
  • They have great chemistry (i.e., he knows where they will be on the field)
  •  

https://www.wyomingnews.com/wyosports/university_of_wyoming/football/josh-allen-tanner-gentry-jacob-hollister-basking-in-reunion-with-bills/article_2d14960d-b0e2-57fb-b191-73882535da2d.html

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Will be interesting to see which WR's make the final roster......no lack of targets....just lack of balls thrown.  Same can be said of the TE's.

Go BILLS!!!!

I think Hollister will be an impact player for the Bills. He might wind up with more targets than Knox.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

It’s hard enough to get three players from the same college on a team. To get three that played together, at the same time, at a non-Power Five program? It’s something Allen isn’t taking for granted.

Hard unless you are a former college coach who also controls front office.

Great line from head coach - not as great as Marv's but still great on a different level.

“We were playing Oregon my sophomore year. It was when (Marcus) Mariota was there, they were obviously ranked pretty high,” Gentry said. “And (Bohl), right before we go out for the game, he says, ‘If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to be able to (urinate) in the tall grass.”

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Will be interesting to see which WR's make the final roster......no lack of targets....just lack of balls thrown.  Same can be said of the TE's.

Go BILLS!!!!

I’m not anticipating any real surprises with either group

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh loves him some Jacob Hollister.

I'm loving me some Hollister now too after watching those highlights!

The level of trust Josh seemed to have with him, and the fact that he came down with all those passes makes me very interested to see how the TE room shakes out this year.

I like Knox, but I just can't see him making all those catches. Which is probably why he isn't getting the targets.

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Some interesting tidbits on their Wyoming days but especially about Josh's going to bat for them.  It is a bit of a slippery slope as when someone is cut the questions about whether Josh went to bat for some other player will come up (John Brown wondering whether the FO asked Josh about keeping him), but it is an interesting comparison to GBay who does not listen to Aaron Rodgers on player decisions.

A couple of other nuggets:

• Josh feels Tanner Gentry has the strongest hands of a WR he has worked with
  • They have great chemistry (i.e., he knows where they will be on the field)
  •  

https://www.wyomingnews.com/wyosports/university_of_wyoming/football/josh-allen-tanner-gentry-jacob-hollister-basking-in-reunion-with-bills/article_2d14960d-b0e2-57fb-b191-73882535da2d.html

I have to wonder if it's a bit of a mistake for the overall team chemistry bringing "his guys" back in for Allen. 

It's not going to take targets away from Diggs, Beasley, Sanders or Davis - but I'm a bit concerned that bottom of the roster players who have put in the "grind" here like McKenzie, Kumerow, Williams, Gilliam, Becker might feel that they don't have a "fair chance" based on talent because of the prior connection that Allen has with Hollister and Gentry.

Make no mistake, Gentry and Allen are tight.  Allen was in Tanner's wedding.  Allen hosted Gentry at his Orange County house before a big "Wyo friends" get together in the Palm Desert this spring; they refer to each other as "Fam".

Meanwhile, people who know more about scouting than I do ( @Buffalo716 ) tell me if we have Gentry and Kumerow as WR options we're in trouble.

It's something where the coaches need to be crystal clear on what the evaluation process is at the bottom of the roster and build trust that it's merit-based.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh loves him some Jacob Hollister.

Man, Wyo's defense just sucked.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have to wonder if it's a bit of a mistake for the overall team chemistry bringing "his guys" back in for Allen. 

It's not going to take targets away from Diggs, Beasley, Sanders or Davis - but I'm a bit concerned that bottom of the roster players who have put in the "grind" here like McKenzie, Kumerow, Williams, Gilliam, Becker might feel that they don't have a "fair chance" based on talent because of the prior connection that Allen has with Hollister and Gentry.

Make no mistake, Gentry and Allen are tight.  Allen was in Tanner's wedding.  Allen hosted Gentry at his Orange County house before a big "Wyo friends" get together in the Palm Desert this spring; they refer to each other as "Fam".

Meanwhile, people who know more about scouting than I do ( @Buffalo716 ) tell me if we have Gentry and Kumerow as WR options we're in trouble.

It's something where the coaches need to be crystal clear on what the evaluation process is at the bottom of the roster and build trust that it's merit-based.

I mean it depends what option number they are

If kumerow or gentry have to be option a b or c , probably in trouble

As a back end of the rotation guy.. if they could crack the roster as the sixth guy.. while helping on special teams I don't think it's a problem 

Kumerow has been here and knows the offense..he has size speed and strength that is rare in the NFL, while displaying pretty soft hands in limited snaps.. as a fifth or sixth option he is high upside 

Gentry is in the same boat. If you're asking him to be a bottom of the depth guy, you can surely do worse with your fifth or sixth option

He has good speed and strong hands. Obviously a connection with Allen.. but his route running was severely lacking coming into the league.. he was able to win at Wyoming with his strength speed and athleticism so his route running was very unpolished... Daboll is not a big fan of unpolished route runners

What he can be. Is a situational deep threat (like Brady used Hogan).. when he gets a favorable matchup , he can probably take a smaller slower cb deep 

I don't think his route running is crisp enough to make noise in our short and intermediate game

• Thank you (+1) 1

I honestly don't see a way for Gentry to make the team, other than injuries. His number on the depth chart might be in double digits.  Looks like a decent player, though.

Hollister, OTOH, looks like a very strong possibility to make the team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean it depends what option number they are

If kumerow or gentry have to be option a b or c , probably in trouble

As a back end of the rotation guy.. if they could crack the roster as the sixth guy.. while helping on special teams I don't think it's a problem 

Kumerow has been here and knows the offense..he has size speed and strength that is rare in the NFL, while displaying pretty soft hands in limited snaps.. as a fifth or sixth option he is high upside 

Gentry is in the same boat. If you're asking him to be a bottom of the depth guy, you can surely do worse with your fifth or sixth option

He has good speed and strong hands. Obviously a connection with Allen.. but his route running was severely lacking coming into the league.. he was able to win at Wyoming with his strength speed and athleticism so his route running was very unpolished... Daboll is not a big fan of unpolished route runners

What he can be. Is a situational deep threat (like Brady used Hogan).. when he gets a favorable matchup , he can probably take a smaller slower cb deep 

I don't think his route running is crisp enough to make noise in our short and intermediate game

Thanks for the input, and the example you chose kind of highlights the concern I see - you might know better than I if it's real or not.

Kumerow has been a total "lunchpail" guy for the Bills.  He plays ST, he blocks (film highlights show he's a capable blocker, even in the backfield).  He's got some speed, as well as size, strength and "hands".    So if they keep, say, Gentry over Kumerow, would it be seen as a kind of "QB's Pet" move?

I think it can be managed, but I also think it has to be.

As far as the end of the roster, doesn't Marquez Stevenson get a shot, being as they drafted him for speed?

So here's a question, watching Gentry how fast is he? 
Sal says this is Davis Webb to Gentry, who clearly has to slow up at the end and wait for Webb's ball to arrive

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the input, and the example you chose kind of highlights the concern I see - you might know better than I if it's real or not.

Kumerow has been a total "lunchpail" guy for the Bills.  He plays ST, he blocks (film highlights show he's a capable blocker, even in the backfield).  He's got some speed, as well as size, strength and "hands".    So if they keep, say, Gentry over Kumerow, would it be seen as a kind of "QB's Pet" move?

I think it can be managed, but I also think it has to be.

As far as the end of the roster, doesn't Marquez Stevenson get a shot, being as they drafted him for speed?

So here's a question, watching Gentry how fast is he? 
Sal says this is Davis Webb to Gentry, who clearly has to slow up at the end and wait for Webb's ball to arrive

Gentry has that classic sneaky fast speed

He isn't a world-class burner. He won't be winning any 100 m titles

Or running in the 4.3s

But if your the corner lined up opposite of him.. and you're not respecting his speed, he will run by you

Solidly in the 4.45 to 4.49 range. He has some wheels

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gentry has that classic sneaky fast speed

He isn't a world-class burner. He won't be winning any 100 m titles

Or running in the 4.3s

But if your the corner lined up opposite of him.. and you're not respecting his speed, he will run by you

Solidly in the 4.45 to 4.49 range. He has some wheels

If I were a betting man .. I think Hollister makes the team as the #2 or #3 TE (depending on Ertz) and Gentry misses the cut but lands on the Practice Squad. He would be ideal for that since he could go from PS to line-up with already having a connection with Josh where as most PS WRs will have little exposure to Josh and vice-versa.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I agree with the posts above that say that Hollister makes the team and that Gentry either ends up getting cut or on the PS.  Hollister is an established NFL player who had a decent run with the Seahwaks and he plays a position of need.  Gentry's NFL career hasn't really gotten off the ground and he plays a position where the team has a lot of depth.  Josh's influence may have gotten his friend a shot at making another NFL team and a few bucks in his pocket, but I don't think it's enough to get him a spot on the 53.  If he makes it as a 6th or 7th WR, he'll have to earn it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

If I were a betting man .. I think Hollister makes the team as the #2 or #3 TE (depending on Ertz) and Gentry misses the cut but lands on the Practice Squad. He would be ideal for that since he could go from PS to line-up with already having a connection with Josh where as most PS WRs will have little exposure to Josh and vice-versa.

I think Hollister absolutely makes it

Gentry not so much

• Like (+1) 1