Danielle Hunter Situation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/de-danielle-hunter-expected-to-attend-vikings-minicamp

Looks like Hunters playing good soldier and reporting but seems like he still is nome to happy with his contract or the way the teams handling it.  Do we see him get moved?  Does Beane and thst team have solid chemistry to revisit the trade block together? It's across conference, and both teams made out well in the Diggs deal.  Would like to think Beanes got a close eye on him. Maybe some picks and someone like Hughes or Epenesa so they're getting a player back as well and to help open up a spot for him.

"We just drafted 2 de's". Yes we did, but it's no secret we love our rotation PLUSSSSS the guys we drafted can line up at any position on that line. Seems like Boogie especially thrived on the inside line. Would really transform this line into something monstrous against Mahomes like we saw in the SB

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Would like to think Beanes got a close eye on him. Maybe some picks and someone like Hughes or Epenesa so they're getting a player back as well and to help open up a spot for him.

I don’t see this happening. 

Wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense in my eyes… Hughes has been a consistently good player for us and likely won’t carry much value in a deal with Minnesota. Epenesa is cheap, controlled and has upside…perfect for a rotation. 

There’s also Josh’s contract to think about. 

Don’t get me wrong… I love the idea of Hunter… but this isn’t a move I see us making. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No way unless we are confident we are getting the 2018-2019 version and I don't see how you can be confident after that injury. Due to cost constraints I Definitely run with what we have unless he can come to us for less than $5 million

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Can’t see Bills trading for a guy who wants to be paid $20m+ per year before they deal with Josh’s contract 

flip side: I don’t think joshs contracr has too many curveballs in it. Just a whole lot of money but will likely be able to layer it in without crazy hardball negotiations on the real fine points of structure.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why would we trade for Hunter when we have literally drafted three defensive ends in the last two years

Well I kinda covered that pretty logically.

Honestly I don't see it happening but something to keep an eye on. Maybe something that could happen in season even

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Well I kinda covered that pretty logically.

Honestly I don't see it happening but something to keep an eye on. Maybe something that could happen in season even

There’s no real logic to it and there’s no chance of it happening.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Would love him, but it seems clear to me that Beane doesn’t plan on breaking the bank for a DE with allens contract on the horizon. 

There's 3 big money positions that I think are key.. QB, DE, and CB... I'm not sure you can 'break the bank' for all 3 of them and fill out your roster. They signed the CB...they'll sign the QB... There's a reason they're investing draft capital into the the DE

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t see this happening. 

Wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense in my eyes… Hughes has been a consistently good player for us and likely won’t carry much value in a deal with Minnesota. Epenesa is cheap, controlled and has upside…perfect for a rotation. 

There’s also Josh’s contract to think about. 

Don’t get me wrong… I love the idea of Hunter… but this isn’t a move I see us making. 

I love the idea of Hunter too, but I think the writing was on the wall when the Bills didn't push harder for one of the available DE free agents.

Beane won't tell us everything, but when he says something it usually reflects his beliefs.  And he pretty much said, at this point we need to get value from "cheap labor" meaning players we draft and develop.

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's 3 big money positions that I think are key.. QB, DE, and CB... I'm not sure you can 'break the bank' for all 3 of them and fill out your roster. They signed the CB...they'll sign the QB... There's a reason they're investing draft capital into the the DE

The thing is, we pretty well have "broken the bank" on DL, it's just for more than one player and we haven't gotten the expected ROI in terms of on-field production.

According to Spotrac, the Bills currently have $48M invested in DL, 26% of the available cap. 

Most of that, $17.6M and 9.3% of the cap, is invested in two players at DE: Hughes and Addison.

We've got another $18.2M and 9.6% of the cap invested in three DT: Lotulelei, Oliver, and Butler.

For reference, we've got the 3rd most team spending on DL, behind the Eagles ($60M) and the Chiefs ($49.5M)

Basically, IMHO Beane has hung his hat, so to speak, on some of his draft picks and budget FA acquisitions developing. 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/defensive-line/2021/active-cap/

He doesn't need to hit on all of them, but below Hughes, Addison, and Lotulelei, he needs about 1 out of 3 to pan out.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, we pretty well have "broken the bank" on DL, it's just for more than one player and we haven't gotten the expected ROI in terms of on-field production.

According to Spotrac, the Bills currently have $48M invested in DL, 26% of the available cap. 

Most of that, $17.6M and 9.3% of the cap, is invested in two players at DE: Hughes and Addison.

We've got another $18.2M and 9.6% of the cap invested in three DT: Lotulelei, Oliver, and Butler.

For reference, we've got the 3rd most team spending on DL, behind the Eagles ($60M) and the Chiefs ($49.5M)

Basically, IMHO Beane has hung his hat, so to speak, on some of his draft picks and budget FA acquisitions developing. 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/defensive-line/2021/active-cap/

He doesn't need to hit on all of them, but below Hughes, Addison, and Lotulelei, he needs about 1 out of 3 to pan out.

I meant as in paying an individual player at the top 5 of their position. My apologies for not being clear. 

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I meant as in paying an individual player at the top 5 of their position. My apologies for not being clear. 

I gotcha, just putting a different perspective on it and trying to make the argument that there's a cause-and-effect thing going on.

IMO, as long as McDermott/Frazier insist on a DL rotation as they do, the Bills are kinda gonna be in "DL purgatory", with a huge sunk cost on DL but limited ability to affect the QB because they lack top-flight DL talent.  And as we pay more for QB, it's only gonna get worse.

2 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Better DE's than Hunter? Lol, nobody on Buffalo's defensive line can carry his jockstrap.

Before the neck injury, agree.  After, TBD

• Agree 1