Christian Eriksen and how fragile life is

Seasons1992

Watched it happen live. When you see someone's eyes open and they're not moving at all, you know it's going to go one of two ways.

He's my favorite international player. Hug your family.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/denmark-den/story/4406805/denmarks-christian-eriksen-collapsesreceives-cpr-as-euro-2020-game-with-finland-postponed

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Watched it happen live. When you see someone's eyes open and they're not moving at all, you know it's going to go one of two ways.

He's my favorite international player. Hug your family.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/denmark-den/story/4406805/denmarks-christian-eriksen-collapsesreceives-cpr-as-euro-2020-game-with-finland-postponed

I just saw the fall on a replay. Very scary.  Every time you see a loved one, you never know if it will be the last. Be sure they know how you feel about them. You may not get another chance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah, that was about as scary a thing as I have ever seen unfold in a live sporting event, and I've seen quite a few things live on TV....Malarchuk's incident, Richard Zednik's incident (also in Buffalo), Ryan Shazier's incident not that long ago on national TV, Ayrton Senna's death (Imola May 1, 1994), countless deaths or near-death incidents in Indycar over the years, Alex Zanardi's loss of his legs in Germany, etc...

What I think got a lot of people was when it was obvious they were performing CPR on him after they had already been attending to him for some time.  The players who were shielding their teammate could probably hear what was going on, and a number of them kept looking back over their shoulders, and they were all crying. 

I was honestly shocked when they later showed the still photograph of him on a stretcher, somewhat alert, and with an oxygen mask on his face.  I thought *for sure* they would be announcing his death and they were probably deciding on how to handle the remainder of that game, the Russia game later that day, and the balance of the tournament outright.

To see him revived was something of a miracle.

He had to have had some type of cardiac arrest.  The replay showed it quite clearly.  He just stumbled straight down onto his face without bracing his fall. No one was near him.

Here's hoping to a full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

When I was 16, I played league softball. In the middle of a game, while a teammate was arguing with the ump over a call, the other team's second baseman dropped to his knees and laid down. A few seconds later, both benches cleared and surrounded him to see what was wrong. One of the players performed CPR while someone else drove to the nearest payphone to call an ambulance. (No cell phones back then.) Unfortunately, the guy didn't make it. He was 49 and appeared to be in good shape.

Take nothing for granted, my friends.

And learn CPR.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

When I was 16, I played league softball. In the middle of a game, while a teammate was arguing with the ump over a call, the other team's second baseman dropped to his knees and laid down. A few seconds later, both benches cleared and surrounded him to see what was wrong. One of the players performed CPR while someone else drove to the nearest payphone to call an ambulance. (No cell phones back then.) Unfortunately, the guy didn't make it. He was 49 and appeared to be in good shape.

Take nothing for granted, my friends.

And learn CPR.

Ugh, that would be horrible at ANY, but especially for a 16 year old. That’s gonna leave a mark on a kid that age, I’m thinking. I’m an old fart, and I’ve never experienced anything quite like that. You make a very good point about learning CPR. I had that training many years ago, but it’s been so long I would be of little help in that situation, I’m afraid. 

Not to make light of things here, but your story reminded me of an event when our kids were young. It was a particularly hot summer day in Florida for our son’s rec league soccer game. It wasn’t the travel team so many of the kids were less than 100% committed. Our keeper was one of those kids. In fact, though he wasn’t overweight, he was keeper because running endlessly and constantly on warm summer days didn’t suit him. During the second half the kid starts kneeling. His parents and some others yell at him to stand up, so he does - for a bit. Then he kneels again, then he LAYS DOWN! I thought he might be bored as all the play is at the other end. They yell at him to stand up again, and he does. The next thing I know he starts PUKING his guts out! Did I mention it was hot outside? The heavy extra keeper jersey was too much for him despite his lack of actually moving. 

That was the only rec league game I can remember ending early. New rule, if the keeper is vomiting because it’s too hot outside, the other kids probably don’t need to be out there either. 

There was a travel team game that ended early, but that was because the ref understood Spanish and wasn’t taking any $#%& from the opposing coaches. I would LOVE to know what they said to make THAT happen! Still better than the AAU hoops game put on hold in Miami until we could get cops in the gym, but I digress….

23 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Malarchuk's incident, Richard Zednik's incident (also in Buffalo), Ryan Shazier's incident not that long ago on national TV, Ayrton Senna's death (Imola May 1, 1994), countless deaths or near-death incidents in Indycar over the years, Alex Zanardi's loss of his legs in Germany, etc..

Apparently I'm a magnet for tragedy........I saw all of these things happen live, as well.

Those of us who attended the home opener in 2007 will never forget the silence at RWS when Kevin Everett suffered a spinal injury. Like Christian he received excellent emergency care on the field and at the hospital.  Kevin never played football again but he is a walking testament to the skilled care givers

who helped him that day and the years following.

Hopefully Christian will have a similar positive outcome.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.