Logan Thomas - a success or a miss?

11 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Sometimes I think it becomes a question of how long can you wait?  When a guy hooks up with a new team the clock is reset, but now a kid like Thomas has had a little time to learn the nuances of his new position.  I think it can be easier to have success with a new team, particularly for a guy making a position switch.  I think there was a Canisius basketball player who tried to hook up with Buffalo as a tight end a few years ago.  Things didn't go well for him, but he did show up later on and had a little playing time for another team later on.  

For a kid like Christian Wade, the challenge is a little tougher because he's competing against two clocks.  One is ticking down the time that The Bills will be patient and let him hang on.  The second clock is his own biological clock.    If he doesn't impress the Bills enough to make the roster this year, what chance is there of landing with another team as a 31 year old rookie running back?

Chris Manhertz.  Played for Carolina from 2016 until last yaer, doing little.  On the Jags now.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:52 PM, BigAl2526 said:

For a kid like Christian Wade, the challenge is a little tougher because he's competing against two clocks.  One is ticking down the time that The Bills will be patient and let him hang on.  The second clock is his own biological clock.    If he doesn't impress the Bills enough to make the roster this year, what chance is there of landing with another team as a 31 year old rookie running back?

I think Wade is dealing with one additional factor - the international program requires him to be on Practice Squad (PS_ for entire year for roster exemption.  If Bills had a game where 2 RBs were injured (think "Any Given Sunday") the Bills could not call him up from PS.   The rule should be modified so if a player is on international program and he is called up he can be returned to PS and as long as he is member of PS that year his salary is guaranteed same as for international program exemption. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think Wade is dealing with one additional factor - the international program requires him to be on Practice Squad (PS_ for entire year for roster exemption.  If Bills had a game where 2 RBs were injured (think "Any Given Sunday") the Bills could not call him up from PS.   The rule should be modified so if a player is on international program and he is called up he can be returned to PS and as long as he is member of PS that year his salary is guaranteed same as for international program exemption. 

This is not quite true.  The international program does not require him to be on the exempt PS list where he can’t be called up.  That is a choice.  The Bills and the player have 4 options:

1) put the international player on the final 53 roster where he is active.

2) cut the player and put him on the regular PS where he can be called up as needed.

3) cut him and use an exemption on him and place him on the PS as an extra member. (Last 2 years) Can not be called up.

4) cut him and do not resign him.

The rule should not be modified because that would give the team with the international player an additional player on the PS that every other team does not have.  It was set up specifically to give the player extra practice time, game film, coaching, and learning without giving a competitive advantage to any team.

If the Bills felt he was adequate enough to call up if needed in a game - then they need to place him on the regular PS.  If they are not sure - then they use the exemption and lock him on the team for a year to continue learning.  Using the international extra practice squad spot is a specific choice the team makes and the player agrees to.  The alternative for Wade would be getting cut outright as both he and the team have stated he was still learning and was not ready.  

Edited by Rochesterfan

• 1 month later...

Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with Washington Football Team (WTF).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=31896887&_slug_=source-breakout-te-logan-thomas-agrees-3-year-extension-washington-football-team

Thomas caught a career-high 72 passes in 2020, finishing third among all tight ends.

He also had 670 yards receiving, which was seventh, and six touchdown receptions.

Before last season, Thomas' career-best totals were 16 catches and 173 yards.

Thomas also flourished in the red zone. He was second among tight ends with 15 catches in the red zone and first with 117 yards.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with Washington Football Team (WTF).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=31896887&_slug_=source-breakout-te-logan-thomas-agrees-3-year-extension-washington-football-team

I think he is going to have a big year. He has Fitz throwing him the ball now and they don't have a ton of options there besides him. McLaurin is good, for sure, but it's not like they have a superstar to feed. I think Thomas is going to establish himself as a top 6 TE in the league.

I don't consider the Bills moving on from him a mistake simply because he's a rare case of a late bloomer.

But it seems like TE is the one position we've never truly been able to figure out despite so many stud players at the position being drafted in the mid rounds or later. Hopefully Knox emerges but i still think Ertz is very much in play and should be if we are truly going all in to win a ring this year.

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't consider the Bills moving on from him a mistake simply because he's a rare case of a late bloomer.

But it seems like TE is the one position we've never truly been able to figure out despite so many stud players at the position being drafted in the mid rounds or later. Hopefully Knox emerges but i still think Ertz is very much in play and should be if we are truly going all in to win a ring this year.

🚓👮🏿‍♀️🖐  Pull over.  This better not be a hidden Ertz thread.  License and registration, please.

😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...