QBs on New Teams

Which QB do you think will be successful on their new team  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these QBs that will be starting on a new team will be successful and resurrect their career?

• Sam Darnold / Carolina Panthers; Originally Pick 3 2018
    • Jared Goff / Detroit Lions; Originally Pick 1 2016
    • Carson Wentz / Indianapolis Colts; Originally Pick 2 2016
    • Jameis Winston / New Orleans Saints; Originally Pick 1 2015
    • Matt Stafford / LA Rams; Originally Pick 1 2009
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick / WFT; Originally Pick 250 2005
    • None
  2. 2. Which of these QBs starting on a new team would you like to see be successful for their new team (when not affecting the Bills of course)?

12 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I can partially buy this as it makes sense. However, I can't think of many QBs who first start to look great in their 30s. Rich Gannon possibly, but that wasn't recent. Rogers was always good since he took over as a starter. I'd agree that his experience has helped him get better. I think you could have always said that was the case that QB's experience after 10 years in the league made them better. The big difference now vs. years ago is more about the rules than the training. Kelly was absolutely killed for most of his career. Part was from early on the Bills didn't have a line. Part was the way he played the game. But a big part was that the rules allowed him to be hit much more and much harder than he would be today. 

I accidentally exited out of the reply to this that I spent a bit of time writing. 😣 Anyway, I meant that a lot of QB's who were already considered to be pretty good didn't really become elite until they hit their 30's. Here's some examples off the top of my head.

Big Ben is the 1st guy that comes to mind. In his 20's he only hit the 4000+ passing yards mark twice. In his 30's he broke that mark 5 times and he didn't have a 5000+ yard season until he was 36. Like Brady, Big Ben in his early years was looked at more as a good game manager to supplement an elite defense.

Tom Brady is another guy that had the rings, but not the numbers to back it up. Brady didn't have a true breakout season until he was age 30 when he put up 4800+ passing yards and a record setting 50 passing TD's. From age 30 & beyond, Tom was a statistical beast.

Honorable Mentions: Peyton Manning who had his best season at age 37 and broke the record for passing yards (5,477) and touchdowns (55.) 

I guess the moral to all of this is game XP and ability to read a defense are much more important skills than athletic ability and arm strength. Sure, some QB's can cover up for their mental inefficiencies when they are routinely a top athlete on the field each Sunday like Lamar Jackson & a young Mike Vick or somebody w/ a monster arm like Brett Favre, (who didn't even know what a dime formation was until his 3rd year in the NFL 😂) but sooner or later defenses will catch onto your tricks. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, Craig Oi said:

Fitz is who he is everyone loves him and he gets everyone around him to play their best.  He seems to be aging like fine wine as his numbers keep improving but he is still very hot & cold but man when he's HOT watch out! So if you exclude those guys it's not looking too good for the others on the list.

As for the second question...I always have rooted for Fitz and it's so much easier when he's not in the AFCE. I would love to see him finally lead a team to the playoffs and at the cowboys expense is an extra bonus. 

Coach needs to be firm with Fitzpatrick without ruining the gunslinger attitude:

• if he is trying to hard to force balls in when not necessary pull him and having him work with QB/OC to see what he is missing
  • If game is getting chippy with OL unable to protect QB pull him until line protection improves
  • If game is under control with multiple TD lead pull him and rest him

Fitzpatrick needs to keep the wear and tear down so he can perform well at end of year and playoffs if they make it.

I love watching Fitzpatrick play especially when he is hot but hate Washington Redsucks so this will be a hard season for me.

Edited by Limeaid

On 6/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, whorlnut said:

I think the choice in the first question is Stafford. He’s a very talented guy and now has weapons everywhere. For the second question…how is it NOT unanimous with Fitz?  One of the best guys to ever put on a helmet…

Are.  You.  High? 

No, no and hell no.  Your man love is showing - he is NOT the best to ever put on a helmet, not by a long long long shot.  Sorry man - that there is crazy talk.

9 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Are.  You.  High? 

No, no and hell no.  Your man love is showing - he is NOT the best to ever put on a helmet, not by a long long long shot.  Sorry man - that there is crazy talk.

But he went to Harvard!

On a scale of 1-10, with Billy Joe Hobert being 1, and Fitz being 10...

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But he went to Harvard!

On a scale of 1-10, with Billy Joe Hobert being 1, and Fitz being 10...

Smart?  Yes of course.  Best QB ever to slide a helmet on????  Thats just blind fanlove there......

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Smart?  Yes of course.  Best QB ever to slide a helmet on????  Thats just blind fanlove there......

Well, if I need someone to calculate the angle necessary to hit the right upright to enable a ricochet into the WR's hands, my money is on Fitz.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Are.  You.  High? 

Apparently you are the one that is “high”. In no way did I mean he was one of the most talented…what I meant was he is one of the most likable guys around. Good grief…

On 6/12/2021 at 6:43 AM, CuseBill said:

Gunner, when you are always running for your life it gets into your head, clean pocket or not.  I think good coaching and increased confidence will fix that.  Frank will put him into a situation where he will be able to make quick decisions and get the ball out.  You can't deny Wentz has the physical tools.  I don't disagree with you that he almost never looked good last couple of years, but I don't think you can take one statistic and extrapolate it to make the conclusion that he has no chance to be good again.  You could pick some of JA's first and second year stats to make the same kind of dire predictions and look what he has done.  Ryan Tannehill is also the poster boy for what a change of scenery, better coaching and better support can do for your career.

Wentz holds onto the ball forever.  Even if things are open hes looking for a big play.  His physical tools cannot overcome horrific footwork and baffling decision making.  The term "uncoachable" was tossed around with Wentz a lot last year.  And then there's his injury history.

This is not an easy reclamation project.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Wentz holds onto the ball forever.  Even if things are open hes looking for a big play.  His physical tools cannot overcome horrific footwork and baffling decision making.  The term "uncoachable" was tossed around with Wentz a lot last year.  And then there's his injury history.

This is not an easy reclamation project.

I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong as we may have to face the Colts in the playoffs again.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:34 AM, CuseBill said:

I think Carson Wentz will most benefit from a "reset" especially with his former coach Frank Reich and a good line in front of him.  He has the physical talent and (I think) the intelligence.  He had no support at the Eagles on any level (coaching, line, running game, receivers, defense) and I think he will regain his confidence in a short time.

I voted for him too, but I don't have a ton of faith that he actually will be most improved.

What is very refreshing to see is that the NFL is *finally* learning to move on from a QB if he doesn't have it, and they are learning to be honest about the process.