QBs on New Teams

Which QB do you think will be successful on their new team  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these QBs that will be starting on a new team will be successful and resurrect their career?

• Sam Darnold / Carolina Panthers; Originally Pick 3 2018
    • Jared Goff / Detroit Lions; Originally Pick 1 2016
    • Carson Wentz / Indianapolis Colts; Originally Pick 2 2016
    • Jameis Winston / New Orleans Saints; Originally Pick 1 2015
    • Matt Stafford / LA Rams; Originally Pick 1 2009
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick / WFT; Originally Pick 250 2005
    • None
  2. 2. Which of these QBs starting on a new team would you like to see be successful for their new team (when not affecting the Bills of course)?

A couple of days before the draft I was watching the NFL Network and they were talking about one of the QBs that's now on a new team. I started thinking about there being several former top draft choices that are on new teams and I unexpectedly started to realize that I kind of hope a few of them do well on their new team, for the most part, just to give their old team misery (i.e. especially the Jersey Jerks). Anyway, I was wondering what others thought. I originally was only going to include 1st round QBs that just went to a new team, but I couldn't resist including Fitzpatrick and then I decided to keep Winston on as well even though he was with the Saints last year and isn't yet considered the starter. And no, I had no intention of including Mitch Trubisky since we all hope he only plays after we've wrapped up  the #1 seed two weeks before the season ends. 

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan
Add more info
  • Like (+1) 3

I don't really think Stafford or Fitz quite belong there. The others haven't been good and required a change of scenery, but changing teams is normal for Fitz and Stafford is already a very good QB and has been for his while career.

I'd love to see Darnold succeed. Poor guy got such a raw deal.

• Agree 3

Stafford's career doesn't need resurrecting. The team success has not been there but he has still played at a very good level. So I excluded him from that first question.

I think of the rest it breaks down as:

Sam Darnold - I think he will be a solid enough starter that Carolina will not draft a guy next year. However, if the legal situation resolves then them trading for Deshaun Watson after 2021 is very likely. 

Jared Goff - Was the sacrificial lamb in LA for issues that were some, but not all, of his making. But there is no talent around him. I think Detroit are in the conversation for the number 1 pick. 

Carson Wentz - I don't think it is fixable. Think he is fundamentally broken. Yes his protection sucked in Philly but he was also the worst rated QB in the league from a clean pocket in 2020. If anyone can Reich can but I predict Wentz is benched before the season ends and that is his last starting gig in the league. 

Jameis Winston - think he will play okay and on a team too talented to tank right now stands to be a placeholder for the next 2/3 years on a 9-8/8-9 type team. 

Matthew Stafford - think he will be the same top 12 QB he has always been but with more wins. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick - will start off hot but tire as the season goes on but could, finally, QB a team to a wildcard spot.

• Like (+1) 4

I think Carson Wentz will most benefit from a "reset" especially with his former coach Frank Reich and a good line in front of him.  He has the physical talent and (I think) the intelligence.  He had no support at the Eagles on any level (coaching, line, running game, receivers, defense) and I think he will regain his confidence in a short time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

I think Carson Wentz will most benefit from a "reset" especially with his former coach Frank Reich and a good line in front of him.  He has the physical talent and (I think) the intelligence.  He had no support at the Eagles on any level (coaching, line, running game, receivers, defense) and I think he will regain his confidence in a short time.

Worst QB in the NFL from a clean pocket in 2020. I think playing on a good Indy team will expose what the primary issue was.... it was Carson Wentz.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Gunner, when you are always running for your life it gets into your head, clean pocket or not.  I think good coaching and increased confidence will fix that.  Frank will put him into a situation where he will be able to make quick decisions and get the ball out.  You can't deny Wentz has the physical tools.  I don't disagree with you that he almost never looked good last couple of years, but I don't think you can take one statistic and extrapolate it to make the conclusion that he has no chance to be good again.  You could pick some of JA's first and second year stats to make the same kind of dire predictions and look what he has done.  Ryan Tannehill is also the poster boy for what a change of scenery, better coaching and better support can do for your career.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Worst QB in the NFL from a clean pocket in 2020. I think playing on a good Indy team will expose what the primary issue was.... it was Carson Wentz.

Gunner-can’t dispute the facts you lay out.  But, I think Frank Reich will make Wentz better.  The kid definitely needed to get out of a negative situation in Philly and reboot himself.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CuseBill said:

Gunner, when you are always running for your life it gets into your head, clean pocket or not.  I think good coaching and increased confidence will fix that.  Frank will put him into a situation where he will be able to make quick decisions and get the ball out.  You can't deny Wentz has the physical tools.  I don't disagree with you that he almost never looked good last couple of years, but I don't think you can take one statistic and extrapolate it to make the conclusion that he has no chance to be good again.  You could pick some of JA's first and second year stats to make the same kind of dire predictions and look what he has done.  Ryan Tannehill is also the poster boy for what a change of scenery, better coaching and better support can do for your career.

It wasn't just one stat. He has had about 6 good games in two years. Eventually some of that is on you. He had a Superbowl winning Head Coach who is regarded as one of the best play callers in the game. I watched Wentz play. I watched the breakdowns that pros did on his game last year. When you are misreading a simple hitch route when kept clean then that isn't on receiver talent or protection. It is on Carson Wentz.

• Like (+1) 1

On the other hand, look at his 2017 and 2018 stats and tell me what you see.  Passer ratings above 100, high TD to low INT percentages, etc.  So which years are the real Carson Wentz?  You can't say he has never been good.  He just hasn't been good the last two years and I'm willing to bet that can't all be put on him.

Darnold and Goff imo have little to no chance, they are both back up QBs pretending to be starters, as are the majority of this group.  Wentz is the most likely to have a resurgence as an above average QB. Out side of Fitz, who is a the quintessential underdog, I don’t care much about any of their careers, and hope they flounder when and if the play the Bills, except on rare occasions, I truly hope they all fail miserably, as I generally never root for other teams to be successful, screw them all... 😁

Go Bills!!!

28 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

You could pick some of JA's first and second year stats to make the same kind of dire predictions and look what he has done

Actually, no, you couldn’t.  Not if you watched the games.

Agree with those saying Stafford is too good to be an option, which is why I picked Wentz, who is back with Reich and a very solid supporting cast on both sides of the ball. 

And I get the Darnold thing, but Fitz is Fitz, and this year’s WFT seems fun like our McBeane era Bills. 

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Actually, no, you couldn’t.  Not if you watched the games.

eball I agree with you.  I'm saying anyone can take stats and make predictions from them.  But if you watch the game and watch the player and know something about football you wouldn't necessarily make those predictions.  I'm fond of saying "34.7% of all statistics are totally meaningless".

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

eball I agree with you.  I'm saying anyone can take stats and make predictions from them.  But if you watch the game and watch the player and know something about football you wouldn't necessarily make those predictions.  I'm fond of saying "34.7% of all statistics are totally meaningless".

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm really not understanding the lack of concern seemingly everyone has towards Wentz. He was literally the worst starting QB in football last year. I don't know why people think it will just take Frank Reich to make him good again.

You don't blow open the lead in interceptions solely due to bad coaching, which I'm not even convinced was the problem.

Stafford stuck out big-time on this list as he has always been a upper tier QB but never had any chance to succeed in Detroit. No one could have in that situation. Fitz is who he is everyone loves him and he gets everyone around him to play their best.  He seems to be aging like fine wine as his numbers keep improving but he is still very hot & cold but man when he's HOT watch out! So if you exclude those guys it's not looking too good for the others on the list. Wentz seems to have completely come undone and I'm not sure if even Reich can fix him. Darnold was in a no win situation in NY much like Stafford was but I think his ceiling is only that of an average QB. Goff was in a very good spot in LA but proved to be too limited and was shipped out and is also just average. That leads me to Winston who has the highest ceiling of the remaining guys on the list and set up to succeed on a very good team. Can Peyton get his level of play to match the level of talent? That remains to be seen but is my best bet. As for the second question...I always have rooted for Fitz and it's so much easier when he's not in the AFCE. I would love to see him finally lead a team to the playoffs and at the cowboys expense is an extra bonus. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Stafford's career doesn't need resurrecting. The team success has not been there but he has still played at a very good level. So I excluded him from that first question.

I think of the rest it breaks down as:

Sam Darnold - I think he will be a solid enough starter that Carolina will not draft a guy next year. However, if the legal situation resolves then them trading for Deshaun Watson after 2021 is very likely. 

Jared Goff - Was the sacrificial lamb in LA for issues that were some, but not all, of his making. But there is no talent around him. I think Detroit are in the conversation for the number 1 pick. 

Carson Wentz - I don't think it is fixable. Think he is fundamentally broken. Yes his protection sucked in Philly but he was also the worst rated QB in the league from a clean pocket in 2020. If anyone can Reich can but I predict Wentz is benched before the season ends and that is his last starting gig in the league. 

Jameis Winston - think he will play okay and on a team too talented to tank right now stands to be a placeholder for the next 2/3 years on a 9-8/8-9 type team. 

Matthew Stafford - think he will be the same top 12 QB he has always been but with more wins. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick - will start off hot but tire as the season goes on but could, finally, QB a team to a wildcard spot.

You certainly could be right. 

I think Wentz will be a lot better in a situation where he doesn't feel a disconnect with the coaching staff as he did in Philly.