QB Arm Strength benefit breakdown.. it mattered for Josh Allen in 2020

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2021/6/10/22525070/crumbling-their-cookies-why-arm-strength-matters-analysis-josh-allen

In 2020, Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen’s passes traveled an average of 21.4 true air yards. This was most in the league, per ESPN. “True air yards” represents the actual distance the pass traveled accounting for horizontal distance, as opposed to simply “air yards,” which measures distance traveled perpendicular to the line of scrimmage.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yup, we have all watched Josh exercise this part of his “arm arrogance” 😁 repeatedly, yet there is still one or two that somewhat recently stated that Josh does not take advantage of his arm strength..., no really it happened...,

Its gonna be a stellar season!! I can’t freakin wait!!!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2021/6/10/22525070/crumbling-their-cookies-why-arm-strength-matters-analysis-josh-allen

In 2020, Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen’s passes traveled an average of 21.4 true air yards. This was most in the league, per ESPN. “True air yards” represents the actual distance the pass traveled accounting for horizontal distance, as opposed to simply “air yards,” which measures distance traveled perpendicular to the line of scrimmage.

Thanks for this.   It's still early in his career, but I think that this is why Allen has a great chance to be one of the true greats of all time.  Assuming, and that's a big assumption, Allen can develop into a mature, quality field general. his ability to deliver the ball farther and faster than other QBs gives him a big advantage.   Drew Brees, or Tom Brady for that matter, saw opportunities that they knew their arms couldn't complete.   Some of those opportunities, Allen HAS the arm.  There probably are one or two completions a game that Allen gets that pretty much no one else except Rodgers and Mahomes completes.  

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, we have all watched Josh exercise this part of his “arm arrogance” 😁 repeatedly, yet there is still one or two that somewhat recently stated that Josh does not take advantage of his arm strength..., no really it happened...,

Go Bills!!!

Arm arrogance is the equivalent of distance arrogance for Steph Curry. No one should do it because most pro players can't.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

You mean like this?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Those fast-moving long passes are great, but don't overlook Allen's improvements on touch passes.  They also are getting better and better.

Allen is getting better and better all around and don’t overlook the decision making !! 

Edited by Putin

To me the throw that was maybe the most impressive all year and was the one to Diggs where Allen was running for his life to his left and while still running was able to turn his body and throw a pass that went 30 yards (released at the 22 and caught in the back of the EZ) that was an absolute dime.

Incredible pass for what shows up on the stat sheet as like a 10 yard TD pass.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To me the throw that was maybe the most impressive all year and was the one to Diggs where Allen was running for his life to his left and while still running was able to turn his body and throw a pass that went 30 yards (released at the 22 and caught in the back of the EZ) that was an absolute dime.

Incredible pass for what shows up on the stat sheet as like a 10 yard TD pass.

Was that the one when BB threw his phone 😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this.   It's still early in his career, but I think that this is why Allen has a great chance to be one of the true greats of all time.  Assuming, and that's a big assumption, Allen can develop into a mature, quality field general. his ability to deliver the ball farther and faster than other QBs gives him a big advantage.   Drew Brees, or Tom Brady for that matter, saw opportunities that they knew their arms couldn't complete.   Some of those opportunities, Allen HAS the arm.  There probably are one or two completions a game that Allen gets that pretty much no one else except Rodgers and Mahomes completes.  

yup. Add in having good wheels and the defense has to account for protecting a lot of turf every snap. Mahomes is probably the only guy in the league that similarly stresses the defense in that way. If he can consistently make good choices he has a chance to be a great one.